by Lord Redacted The Censored

We had to apply recently for a variance because we basically manufacture in a residential area, and that variance was vital to us getting three-phase power to our welding shop. Waste disposal is the only "concern" my neighbors have, years back someone had a motorcycle shop down the back alleyway and they dumped oil and fluids into the storm-drain and on the grounds of the old abandoned house a block down (now removed.) I wrote up a waste disposal plan and I keep things fairly transparent for their sake. Really the only waste we generate is scrap metal and bags of un-recoverable plastic from failed prints. Typically I try to re-extrude but there are limits to what the Filistruder can do.

The other thing we did, I spent 10 years as a member of the VFD in my hometown, I don't want to put the firemen at risk. House goes up, they are not going to enter unless someone is still inside, otherwise stay outside and put water on it/let it go. I have a folder with Safety Data Sheets on file in a box under the mailbox in case they absolutely need the info. We have enough ABS on hand to make a fairly significant cloud of smoke if the place went up, not enough to warrant an evacuation but it would stink up the block good for a day or two. I'm more worried about someone going inside even with oxygen to rescue "stuff" -- I can get more stuff. Not worth the risk.

So that in a nutshell is our workshop setup... hope you found it entertaining.

Posted on Mar 3, 2017, 8:49 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker