Really? For those who don't know...

by Doc Nickel

"Gene Catlow" is- or rather, apparently, was- a long-running webcomic that predated even TWB by a couple of years.

I can't honestly say I was a regular reader of the strip- I read it regularly for a while, many years ago, but at some point probably when switching computers, I just never got around to putting it back in my bookmarks.

Nothing malicious, of course, the story just wasn't my cup of tea.

I will, however, give him much well-earned respect for producing quality work, on a regular schedule, for a very long time. I see by reading back a couple of months that the storyline was coming to a head, and it's very much a pity that all of his readers will apparently never know how it was supposed to play out.

Makes me wonder if he has a script or outline that a family member could post- even if there's no art or even dialogue, it'd be nice to have a synopsis.

My condolences to his family and friends.

... It's actually kind of interesting that, despite the fact I've been a webcomics fanatic since probably 2000-2001, and I've read literally thousands of individual titles over the years (meaning hundreds of thousands of individual strips) I can only think of one other author that passed away while working on a comic. And that was... let me look... Okay, that took a lot longer than I thought to find, since I couldn't entirely remember the details, but the strip was called "Bad Rabbit".

It didn't update terribly regularly- I seem to recall it had been on hiatus for a year or more when I first found it, and then came back for a brief while- but it had some sizeable archives (300-500 strips) and some great humor.

Somewhere around here, buried on a hard drive, I have two or three of his strips, that I saved specifically because I thought they had a great gag that I could swipe... that is, emulate, for a TWB gag.

In fact, when Doc got hit by the pie, a trap set by Bandit, lo those many years ago (over a decade?) that strip was inspired by a "Bad Bunny" strip where a pie springs out of his computer monitor on him. I think the punchline was something like "It's going to be one of those weeks, isn't it?"

And since his site is now listed as "lost", and the author himself has been gone for what must be at least ten years now, those few strips may be the only ones left.

And you know, that's kind of a depressing thought.

Hopefully someone can make an "official" archive of Catlow so that it can remain out where people can continue to read it.

Doc.

Posted on Mar 11, 2017, 1:43 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Wow I have a lot of old comics.... Doc Nickel, Mar 11, 2017
    1. Archives. Flying Wrench, Mar 11, 2017
      1. No way for the Wayback.. Snowtroll, Mar 11, 2017
  2. Re: Really? For those who don't know.... Donkey, Mar 11, 2017
    1. No bet!. Doc Nickel, Mar 11, 2017
      1. Keenspace/ComicGenesis.... Snowtroll, Mar 12, 2017
        1. A great many of them did.... Doc Nickel, Mar 12, 2017