My automotive update

by James

Since Hans updated his project, I'll bring you up to speed on my car project. First a little background. Last year, we had 6 meets. Of those, we set records at 5 of them. The points from those meets put us 8th over all for the season. We still don't know why the motor won't rev over 10,500 RPMs, (it should go to 13,000), but we're not going to worry too much about it. We'll just keep gearing it for 10.5K and move on.

We pulled the motor out and stripped it down to the main bearings, and there was no significant wear or damage. All the valve springs got checked, and all the valves lapped. New rings are on order, and the motor should be complete and re-installed in a few weeks.

The front axle king pin bushings had never been replaced, and they were about 10 years old. They had a very slight amount of play so we decided to replace those. At first, I couldn't find any that were the right size, so I just started searching for the right diameters, and finally found some that were good but twice as long. After a little investigation, it turned out they were an exact match, but had to be split in two. Yes, really. That's all done now.

We have about 6 weekends left before the first race of the season, but two of those I'll be out of town. I think we can get it finished before the meet. We're going to try and top out just over 200 mph before changing engine classes.

Posted on Mar 29, 2017, 11:18 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

  1. I thought.... Doc Nickel, Mar 30, 2017
    1. We had leaks on both sides. James, Mar 30, 2017
  2. Out of the loop. Mawson, Apr 1, 2017
    1. Race bike.... Doc Nickel, Apr 2, 2017
      1. It's a 750cc GSXR motor in a custom racing car, actually.... MarkF, Apr 3, 2017
        1. Ah! Well that explains everything! NT. Mawson, Apr 5, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker