Agreed

by ShneekeyTheLost

My grandfather also flew on a B-24, as a Navigator. He never really talked much about it, even after I grew up. I never really asked, either. Always figured if he wanted to leave his past behind him... I would respect that.

After the war, he became a Doctor. Practiced in a little town called Orange, TX. It did a lot of business with the refineries in that area before they got shut down. In those days, he was one of the few Doctors in the area, and a well respected man in the community. These days... it's become a ghost town, mostly. Without the refineries, there weren't many jobs, and the economy of the local region declined about the time he retired.

He was a good man. Taught me how to respect a firearm as well as how to shoot it. Taught me when to use it, and when not to use it. Taught me about the value of saving a life. Taught me that being a man isn't something you prove, it's something you live.

He passed away last year, nearly a hundred. My grandmother had passed several years ago, and he was really never quite the same since. Married over fifty years, can't really blame him.

A toast to those served their country. Not just ours... all of 'em. To those who put their lives on the line to see their friends and family safe. To those who gave their lives to that end. To those who defended the defenseless. Thank you.

Posted on May 29, 2017, 9:42 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. I've spoken with a few WWII veterans.... Snowtroll, May 30, 2017
    1. Re: I've spoken with a few WWII veterans.... Kandinsky, May 30, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker