Eight months of machinery progress!

by Doc Nickel

You regular Guilders- and even a few of you irregular ones, and I think you know who I'm talking about- might remember my big saga of the "Free" vertical mill last year, illustrated in a posting entitled Oh what fresh hell is this? happy.gif

The idea being that, while it was cool to get such a thing, it was on top of a large number of existing projects, among others the problematical rebuild of another mill I'd already had.

Well, I drug that badboy home sometime around the last week in July of last year, where it then sat in my driveway under a tarp for a moth while I cleared off my benches of as many other projects as I could.

Then, I put the first wrench to it on August 21st, and after a surprisingly easy refreshing, had it substantially done on September 20th.

At that point I was more or less ready to do the head, but I was missing some gears, apparently broken and lost during some crash at some point in its long history.

Those gears took almost seven months to source.

And, of course, once I did finally have them, I had enough on my plate I couldn't just jump back on the project, so it sat for a little while longer.

But, as I've been working on other projects, I've slipped in a moment or two here and there and gotten some of the pieces put back into place.

The head is now about 70% done:

[linked image]

And hopefully, within a week or two, workload depending, I should finally be able to put power to this beast and cut an actual chip or three.

Stand by! happy.gif

Doc.

Posted on Jun 4, 2017, 12:16 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Hey, is that the original Whiteboard in the background?. James, Jun 4, 2017
    1. That's the one!. Doc Nickel, Jun 4, 2017
      1. Curving a tag is easy.... James, Jun 4, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker