So what'd you do with your Holiday-off?

by Doc Nickel

I know some people got a 4-day weekend out of it, while others had to work on Monday and then had today off, but either way, how'd you spend it?

I bet some of you thought this strip was a joke. Nope- I took a day off of slogging through projects in the shop... by slogging through a project in the shop. happy.gif

Yes, Jack is a very, very dull boy. happy.gif

Anyway, I'm still trying to put the finishing touches on several of my machine projects, and since the big Exacto mill is finally (almost) up and running, it was time to sort out the electricals.

Some doofus at some point in its history had opened the junction box on the motor in order to disconnect the wires. And then gave up and just snipped off the cable. But never put the box cover back on, which meant it was then lost in the mists of time.

After briefly trying to find a replacement box- not an original replacement, as this is a Spanish made machine and relatively few made it to US shores, but some suitable box I could adapt. Then I decided, to heck with it, I'll just make one. I mean, what are machine tools for if not to spend half a day and $20 in material making a part that could be purchased for $1.98 at the nearest Home Depot? happy.gif

So, bandsaw...

[linked image]

Mill...

[linked image]

Sand...

[linked image]

And done!

[linked image]

(That last pic is actually from before the sanding stage, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

Like Red says, it's just that easy. happy.gif

The paint's drying now, and in the morning, before the panic of realizing how many things I have on the workbench sets in, I'll bolt 'er on and run the wiring. I still need to mount and wire the VFD, mount a start/stop switch, and a couple of other things, but we're getting there.

Doc.

Posted on Jul 5, 2017, 1:44 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. I worked on my race car.. James, Jul 5, 2017
    1. Which series, and class?. CF, Jul 5, 2017
      1. Re: Which series, and class?. Anonymous Coward, Jul 6, 2017
  2. Netflix and Chill. PolarBearSama, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Family time. DannyBeans, Jul 5, 2017
    1. He is a good boy!. Typeminer, Jul 5, 2017
      1. Horses put a bit of a cramp in our celebrating. Irregular Logic, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Family stuff, and trying to lift a curse. Dave H, Jul 5, 2017
    1. You are now! nt. Jelsey, Jul 5, 2017
    2. Gotta laugh. Typeminer, Jul 5, 2017
    3. Which Ship?. Lord *Redacted*, Jul 5, 2017
      1. USS Little Rock. Dave H, Jul 5, 2017
        1. Can't imagine either.... Lord Redacted, Jul 5, 2017
          1. According to the Wikipedia entry on the USS Little Rock.... Z-man51, Jul 6, 2017
            1. No armor to speak of.... Thinkertoys, Jul 10, 2017
    4. I'm not one, either.... Snowtroll, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Pentatonix concert at the Hollywood Bowl. Jelseminium, Jul 5, 2017
    1. Those weren't organized and permitted shows.... Bruce Bergman, Jul 5, 2017
      1. You shoot it up in the air, we arrest you! Don't do it!!". Antknot, Jul 6, 2017
        1. Firearms in the air? Absolutely! fireworks? not so much around here.... J.Cook, Jul 6, 2017
  6. i worked..... selling beer n/t. wolfteller, Jul 5, 2017
  7. Didn't have a day off, it wasn't a Public Holiday in NZ. Raphael, Jul 5, 2017
  8. Worked on my album. Nah, mostly played PS4.. Deus Machina, Jul 5, 2017
  9. EMS, Hospital, etc. GREAT fun.. tmk, Jul 5, 2017
    1. I hear ya, and condolences. Typeminer, Jul 5, 2017
    2. Watch her closely.... Z-man51, Jul 6, 2017
      1. Mom's a recently-retired nurse.. tmk, Jul 6, 2017
        1. That's great your mom watching grandma.... Z-man51, Jul 7, 2017
  10. Yard work for mother, siblings and such time.. MephitMark, Jul 5, 2017
  11. Off?. jwhouk, Jul 5, 2017
  12. Make some really LOUD BIG BADA-BOOMS for the neighborhood kids.. Z-man51, Jul 6, 2017
  13. 4-H Projects and Fireworks with Friends. FleetCommander, Jul 6, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker