The old switcheroo...

by Doc Nickel

I've had quite the fun week, in that I was extremely busy, but somehow managed to get very little actually done. My shop's still a wreck from having to move some stored materials around once again, and it seems I was spending most of my time either trying to find parts and tools, step over and around stacks of crap, or keep moving things in order to access boxes or drawers behind it all.

But, one actually kind of fun thing was that I finally got in a new switch for the big mill, and took a couple of hours to get it mounted.

[linked image]

The wiring is still somewhat temporary, as I need some six or eight conductor, but only had four. But the switch itself is solidly mounted, and in almost the exact same place- and within half an inch of the same height from the floor- as the switch on the Grizzly. (Which, as I noted before, is virtually identical to how they're commonly mounted on Bridgeports as well.)

I wanted the switch to be in the same place on the two machines, so that I'm always reaching to the same place, and turning the knob in the same direction, no matter which one I'm using. It's just safer that way.

I had a switch I was going to use, a leftover from the old Jet, but when I finally dug it out, I discovered it was only an on-off, and rotated the wrong way compared to the Grizzly switch. (Which is center off, and rotates to the left for "forward". The Jet switch rotates to the right to start.)

I found a suitable switch on eBay, that as luck would have it, is almost an identical match to the Grizzly knob, and what's more, bolted right into the steel box that originally held the Jet switch.

All I really had to do was fab up the aluminum bracket you see (which also included some really crappy TIG welds, because my electronic helmet, despite brand-new batteries, decided to start cutting out on me- that is, going to no shade whatsoever/OFF- every eight seconds of on time. The poor thing's 20 years old- I bought it in 1998- so it might just be time to replace it.)

And then run some temporary wires. Temporary in that I only had four-conductor wire, but need a minimum of six if I'm going to include a speed control potentiometer. I'm not yet sure I want to add the speed pot to the switch box- likely sticking out the left side- but that's the logical place to put it.

Anyway, at least for the moment, the machine is 100% ready to use. I can walk up, clamp down a part, hit the switch just like on the Griz, and go to town. There's still detail work to be done, of course, but she's finally, after nearly a year, back up to pretty much full speed again. happy.gif

Doc.



    
This message has been edited by DocsMachine on Jul 14, 2017 2:19 AM

Posted on Jul 14, 2017, 2:17 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

  1. Blimey, Doc ... LostinAPhogg, Jul 14, 2017
  2. I hear you!. goldie, Jul 14, 2017
    1. That's one of my worst problems.... Doc Nickel, Jul 14, 2017
      1. Blimey, Doc ,,. LostinAPhogg, Jul 14, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker