Yep...

by J.Cook

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I was in my early teens, I did a summer job working through a program sponsored by the government (City, I think- it's been a while!) and was a dishwasher at the local hospital. It was an interesting job feeding dishes to a giant washing machine the size of a school bus that cleaned and sanitized the dishes automatically.

Worked great for almost a month until I managed to slip on a patch of damp floor, got sent upstairs to the ER, and the program found out that having a minor near that machine was an OSHA violation that could have gotten the program and the hospital in a lot of hot water (pun intended).

Workman's comp covered the $125 aspirin and ER visit bill, and I was out of a job. It was a case of 'we don't care that you know that it's a big moving machine and that if you are stupid enough to climb into it while it's running you'll maim yourself, we can't let you near it period' coddling. I didn't understand it at the time, but looking back I can see why they were overbearing.

Posted on Aug 30, 2017, 7:59 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. SIGH. paintballsycho, Aug 30, 2017
    1. *nods sadly*. J.Cook, Sep 3, 2017
      1. Warning labels. Antknot, Sep 6, 2017
        1. Was merrily working at a Wendys. Bruce Bergman, Sep 8, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker