Unlikely...

by Doc Nickel

I've mentioned it before, and no, we're unlikely to see reptile characters.

First, plain and simple, I don't like them. Not the animals themselves, I have nothing against turtles and snakes and such. I just don't think they make very appealing anthropomorphic characters.

I tend to consider the characters more "people with tails", than "animals standing upright". As such, while it's pretty easy to anthropomorphize a fox or a rabbit or a bear, when you start getting into the stranger animals like turtles, snakes and iguanas, there starts being more of a disconnect- it gets harder to engage the ol' suspension of disbelief.

Ditto birds- it's easy to picture a fox paw slightly morphed into a functional hand- much less so to picture a wing similarly converted. Yes, I know most artists will draw the feathers as acting like fingers, but that's like trying to hold a handgun with a feather duster. happy.gif

And second, with minimal exceptions, I'm about done adding new characters for a while. We have plenty already, including quite a few that have been around for years and have yet to have any real screen time. (Gino, for example; Duncan first appeared eight years ago and has been in a grand total of four panels so far [that's panels, not strips] plus Packrat and Sarge, and newcomers Ambush and Upshot, we haven't seen Anthony the Tiger since... what, 2010... And so on.)

I need to spend more time exploring the guys and gals we've got, before we go adding any more. happy.gif

Doc.

Posted on Sep 2, 2017, 1:16 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Ah, okay.. FerreTrip, Sep 2, 2017
    1. At least.... J.Cook, Sep 3, 2017
    2. Bandit and Ambush.... Bruce Bergman, Sep 8, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker