The TWB Codex

by Doc Nickel

I had a rare few minutes to kill this evening, and decided to throw together a quick sample of an idea I've had in mind for a while.

I don't know enough about HTML or PHP (or pretty much anything else along those lines) and TWB isn't generated from a database anyway, so I have no idea how I could implement a built-in search system (strip search? happy.gif ) or how I could properly 'tag' strips with keywords so they could be searched in the first place.

So, I tried the next best thing: The TWB Codex.

It's obviously just beginning, and will undoubtedly evolve- among other things, I'm thinking of adding a counter, since there's considerably more strips than just the current strip number reflects. In that small sample alone, there's four strips not in the numbering sequence.

Anyway, of course to use it, if you're looking for a specific strip, you ctrl-F to find a keyword (or whatever the command is for a Mac. happy.gif )

I limited the keywords to major characters and set pieces- Doc, Roger, store, counter, powerarmor, etc. I'd considered doing the dialogue, but I'm not sure that would be as helpful, and it'd quadruple the time it'll take to do an already pretty daunting task.

I'm also thinking of splitting it up into years- as in, doing each year as a separate page. A 2,500-entry-long list might be a tad too unweidly, especially for those that will be viewing it on a phone, but that might also complicate trying to search for a specific strip, unless you at least know what year the strip appeared.

And that's not always a sure things, because even I occasionally lose track of when something occurred. happy.gif

Overall, it's not prefect, but it's doable (with time and effort) and it's better than what we have now, which is pretty much nothing. happy.gif

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed, and if anyone wants to while away a quiet evening doing a couple blocks of strips in the same format, and email it to me as a text file, I sure wouldn't turn down the help. happy.gif

A hundred strips is about all I can stand doing in an evening, and since I'll only be able to devote maybe one day a week to the project, we're looking at a good solid 25 weeks to get it all caught up. happy.gif

Let me know what you think.
Doc.

Posted on Sep 9, 2017, 2:15 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Good idea!. Dave H, Sep 9, 2017
  2. suggestion. Donkey, Sep 9, 2017
  3. Awesome.. PSadlon, Sep 9, 2017
  4. A question:. Doc Nickel, Sep 9, 2017
    1. Hard to tell. Dave H, Sep 10, 2017
      1. Voice to text. Antknot, Sep 10, 2017