Tip for the day, don't search for meteorites in an old bombing range

by James

I was out hiking in the desert yesterday, and was keeping my eyes out for and out-of-place dark rocks that might be meteorites. But I happen to be walking over what must have been an old bombing range. It was littered with little bits of ragged iron chunks. The false positive discoveries were through the roof.

Oh, sorry for anyone that thought this post was going to include an explosion. happy.gif

As it turned out, I DID find some old, live, munitions, but they're not that big. Still, the first time I've found WWII 50 Cal ammunition.

[linked image]

Large areas of the California desert were used for training during WWII. Almost everything is long gone, but apparently the valley I chose to hike through is remote enough that some things still remain.

I also ran across an odd, extremely well formed piece of sheet metal. It may be a car part. Does anyone recognize this item below. I'm guessing it may have been used as a target. It almost certainly would date to before 1945. If you know what it is, please let me know. That's a railroad tie it's bolted to.

[linked image]

Posted on Sep 25, 2017, 12:43 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Almost certainly.... Doc Nickel, Sep 25, 2017
    1. Yup Doc, I agree.. James, Sep 25, 2017
      1. Salvage.... Doc Nickel, Sep 25, 2017
  2. Reminds me of.... Eirik, Sep 25, 2017
  3. Went on a meteorite hunt.... kiawe, Sep 27, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker