Minor spoilers ahead...

by Doc Nickel

That's actually been something I've been worrying about.

The laser beams seen in the background are a sort of prelude, yes, but will not involve Doc or Cara- at least not yet. happy.gif

But even without those, many longtime TWB readers tend to expect things to go a little sideways- a bar gets evaporated, a snowball fight escalates into towed artillery, a Halloween party that involves deathtraps, etc.

And I didn't want to do that, here. Okay, more accurately I didn't think I could do it proper justice, at this stage, since I'm just not that good a writer. A decent writer, I'm sure, could have had the happy couple go through major trial- a fire, a car crash, getting caught up in a robot uprising, getting caught in the middle of a bank robbery, whatever- and had them emerge as a strong couple because of it. (There's only about eight thousand movies that use that exact same trope, including the aforementioned Speed. happy.gif )

I do, in fact, want to subject them to something like that in the future- Cara is going to learn sooner or later just how much of a weirdness magnet Doc really is happy.gif - but I wanted to get them together and... I suppose "settled", for want of a better phrase, before doing so.

More directly, however, is the worry readers think I'm building up to something that isn't going to happen- or, I suppose, to be more precise, isn't going to be shown. happy.gif

More spoilers ahead:

This is the last week of their date night. We're essentially going to see them head for the bedroom, close the door, and... fade to black. The next day a new storyline will start.

Will anyone be disappointed in that? Was anyone expecting something more? I get that impression, reading some of the reactions...

Doc.

Posted on Sep 25, 2017, 11:05 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. They should know your style by now. n/t. eddi, Sep 25, 2017
  2. Carry on, soldier. Dave H, Sep 26, 2017
  3. Actually, I'll be glad if their evening ends without incident and .... Machtyn, Sep 26, 2017
    1. I've been wondering about that myself nt. Jelsemium, Sep 26, 2017
    2. If I had to guess .... Fish Preferred, Sep 26, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker