Finally, a bit more progress...!

by Doc Nickel

As I noted over a month ago, I'm switching my CNC-converted Logan lathe over from a functional but antiquated Mach 3/WinXP system, over to the brand-new Acorn board recently released by Centroid.

Which has been sitting here for at least three weeks now, waiting for me to have a few moments of free time to do the swap.

Today, I finally managed to put out enough of those metaphorical fires and took those few minutes. I still don't have an enclosure I like, and so don't have an idea how it all needs to be laid out, so I temporarily just screwed everything to a hunk of spare plywood:

[linked image]

THIS IS JUST FOR TESTING! happy.gif

I know some of you don't actually read the text here, and just look at the fun pictures, and inevitably somebody will or would pipe up and say I'm risking getting chips on the electronics, risking a short, etc.

Yes, I know, I know. happy.gif

This is just for testing purposes. As soon as I've verified the wiring is correct- never a sure thing with me happy.gif - and have calibrated the stepper drives and whatnot, I'll find a decent enclosure and mount everything properly.

And keeping in mind the lathe itself isn't entirely done either- I still need to mount limit switches, build a guard over the Z-axis stepper drive, some sort of cover for the encoder and drive, I still need to add some kind of support for the X-axis ballscrew, connect the VFD to the Acorn (and set the parameters) and a dozen other things.

If I have a few more minutes tomorrow (Friday) I hope to actually power the thing up and go through the first few calibration steps. Here's hopin' all this extra time and money was worth it. happy.gif

Doc.

Posted on Nov 16, 2017, 9:45 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. you know the fist time you turn in on it going to do this.... smorizio, Nov 17, 2017
    1. Would that be a sales feature or bug. Bruce, Nov 17, 2017
      1. Machinery playing tunes?. beejay5169, Nov 17, 2017
      2. Definitely a bug.... Doc Nickel, Nov 17, 2017
        1. Modem noises. Chloe, Nov 18, 2017
          1. Used to be.... Dave H, Nov 18, 2017
          2. modem noises. mrham, Nov 18, 2017
            1. Hayes.... Cpt. Obvious, Nov 18, 2017
              1. Hayes wasn't just modems. Dave H, Nov 19, 2017
        2. Some companies use it as a testing mode.. tmk, Nov 18, 2017
    2. Speaking of "doing this".... Doc Nickel, Nov 17, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker