What is almost certainly the very last CNC lathe update this year!

by Doc Nickel

But, this time, finally!- we can call it a success!

The mechanical side has been mostly done for some weeks, only waiting on me to figure out the software side. Which has been at times difficult, since, as I've said, I have very, very little hands-on background with CNC in general, let alone actually operating one.

The latest issue I had was trying to get the tool offsets set. Nothing was coming out right, and after a solid dozen tries, I was pretty damn frustrated.

Then one of the guys on the Centroid board says "when you tell the X axis to move 1", it does only move .5"... right?"

[slaps forehead]

Nope. It's right there in the previous update: a 4" move measures 4".

You'd think I'd never operated a lathe before! happy.gif

(For those following along at home, the workpiece is turning, so a cutter removes metal all around the outside of the cylinder. Moving the cutter 1/4" in reduces the size of the part by 1/2".)

After repeated facepalms, I went and re-reset all the tool offsets and part zeroes and other magic incantations I needed, and tried again.

Raw stock, showing where I'd done the skim cuts for the tool setting:
[linked image]

Roughing:
[linked image]

The finish pass:
[linked image]

And done!
[linked image]

I parted it manually, as I only have the one tool set up in the library so far, but it works! I've been working on this damn thing for two years, I've gone through and completely changed the electronics about three times, and I don't even want to know how much money I have tied up in all of it, but it finally works.

Happy New Year to me, and everybody else out there!

Doc.

Posted on Dec 31, 2017, 9:13 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Chess piece choice. TheFnord, Dec 31, 2017
    1. Didn't really have a choice.... Doc Nickel, Dec 31, 2017
  2. nice one. ydna-zds, Dec 31, 2017
  3. Congratulations! Now the real headaches start :/ .. MephitMark, Dec 31, 2017

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker