Tack, Lars!

by DannyBeans

I try to make a point of learning at least a bit of the language if I'm traveling overseas. It seems like it's courteous at the very least, and also useful in encountering that remaining 1%. (That said, we have some friends we'll be staying with in Umeå, and their English is better than that of most of my coworkers, so I might not get much of an opportunity to try my Swedish out.) I have a bit of a head start this time around - I've got a bit of Icelandic from a trip my family took back in the '90s. Are there any falso cognates I should look out for?

One thing I've encountered in my travels is the assumption that Americans just don't bother with other languages. I remember shopkeepers in Berlin insisting on addressing us in English even when my wife started the conversations in fluent German. It's a stereotype I'd like to do my bit to dispel.

I just need to remember not to try it if I'm drinking - after a few of those generous German beers, I started trying to order the next round in Spanish. happy.gif

Posted on Jan 3, 2018, 6:09 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. "False.". DannyBeans, Jan 3, 2018
    1. Dyslectic Swede here =). Lars_B, Jan 3, 2018
      1. Surströmming. DannyBeans, Jan 3, 2018
        1. O.O. Lars_B, Jan 3, 2018
          1. There is a fine line.... Cpt. Obvious, Jan 3, 2018
            1. Told that to a friend who lives in Sweden.... PolarBearSama, Jan 3, 2018
        2. been there, done that.... Kandinsky, Jan 3, 2018
        3. As a Scandinavian.... TheFnord, Jan 7, 2018
          1. Re: As a Scandinavian.... Cpt. Obvious, Jan 8, 2018

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker