Revisting early TWB art...

by Doc Nickel

Since it looks like I'll also have to be reprinting books 1, 5 and 6 myself, I've been formatting those as I've had time, and wow, I don't recall that early first-book art being quite that bad. happy.gif

Of course, the last time I really revisited that stuff was... well, the last time we formatted Book 1, and that was over a decade ago. happy.gif And while I'm no Picasso, I've learned a bit since then. happy.gif

I find myself wanting to 'clean up' basically the entire panels- lines are crooked, the eye shapes are wonky, the shape of Doc's head is all over the place... happy.gif

But, I don't have time for that, of course, nor is it... I suppose 'fair' to the old art. I liked to see the progression, over the years, of famous artists- Watterson really didn't change in his basics much, but his style definitely got more refined and elegant as time went on.

"Bloom County" had the usual teething pains early on- Opus' nose, similarly, went all over the place in size and shape- but was fairly stable in the 'golden era'. His later stuff got too... in some cases almost creepy, but mostly too sloppy.

And so on. Much as I might like to get rid of the old stuff, it's still part of TWB.

I am gonna have to throw in some homages of a couple of those old gags into the upcoming tourney storyline though.

"Whoa. I just got the weirdest sense of deja-vu."

happy.gif

Doc.

Posted on Jan 11, 2018, 2:33 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Speaking of Revisiting Artwork.... PolarBearSama, Jan 11, 2018
    1. Yeah, yeah... :). Doc Nickel, Jan 11, 2018
      1. Well, mostly.. Fish Preferred, Jan 11, 2018
  2. Leave them alone. Hunting Guy, Jan 11, 2018
    1. Yeah!. beejay5169, Jan 11, 2018
      1. Oh, don't worry.... Doc Nickel, Jan 12, 2018
        1. Been meaning to make those meatballs again.. PolarBearSama, Jan 14, 2018
          1. Those meatballs. Typeminer, Jan 14, 2018

Quantcast

eXTReMe Tracker