Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Suggestions for shipping something heavy?

• Posted Feb 29, 2012 2:31 AM

Guild regular and this month's official extra-cool guy 68VDub managed to score me one of those Rusnok mini-mills from that college auction, for a pretty good price.

He's picked it up, cleaned it up, given it a cursory examination, and crated it in order to get 'er shipped up to me. Altogether, it'll be a 250-pound package.

Now, the tricky part; Getting it shipped from Arken-saw (roughly ZIP 71913) to either my consolidator in Washington (ZIP 98424) or all the way up here (ZIP 99635).

Fed-Ex, at least their online app without an account, gives us a quote of nearly $2,000. UPS gives us a much more reasonable but still pretty steep $585 or so. To Washington, it's "only" $312. (Though I have to make a guess on the "class" of freight. That's proprietary data they don't put out in public.)

I expect the consolidator to tack another $100 at least on top of that.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I know fuel costs are up and all that, but the cost of shipping is going to be twice what I'd expected. When I had the Grizzly shipped up- admittedly a decade ago- it was over a ton and only cost $600. This Rusnok is a tenth that and looks to cost nearly as much...

Doc.
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

eXTReMe Tracker