<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
t
(Login takenitintherear)

Re: More Reedy

No score for this post
October 17 2011, 5:23 AM 

Its pretty easy to see why the hole is delusional and arrogant...hes got the city of Cincinnati eating out of the palm of his hand like some evangelist on sunday morning. He has some of you (after how many years of pulling the rug out from you) ready to put on your jerseys again ...even worse go out and buy NEW ones cause you keep burning yours every year (again pure genius on the holes part)

I think I am going to term you guys Charlie Browns...you keep going for the kick knowing Mike Lucy Brown is going to yank your dreams (ball) away from you.

I get it that the bungs are 4-2....great..but as someone said..its not even cold yet..they STILL have not faced their own division yet...and played a legit team.

i have nothing against the players and applaud them for actually being able to polish schit.

after reading the holes QnA yesterday...how do can you support anything that he represents. He is clearly not engaged and has no respect for the average fan.

i wouldnt even go to UC game this weekend because it was money in his pocket.

T

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

uscthree
(Login uscthree)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Someone Bump this Thread on Oct 30th

No score for this post
October 23 2011, 2:33 PM 

"Well, the BYE week actually was a disadvantage for us you know. We were on a roll and had a lot of momentum. We had beat a stellar team in the Colts and were anxious for that next Sunday. We lost a lot by having to rest."~ ---

Mikehole after being clobbered by the hapless Seattle Seaslugs.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Someone Bump this Thread on Oct 30th

No score for this post
October 23 2011, 2:53 PM 

Sounds like vintage Brown, in wording and meaning. Nice.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

2012 Audience with the Media

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 10:40 AM 

Hey gang, Mike Brown would seemingly approve of our forum! From Dan Hoard on Bengals.com:

The next big step for the Bengals is to win a playoff game for the first time since 1990. Until that happens, Brown knows that his critics will remain vocal.

"I think everyone is bothered by criticism, but I was brought up to believe that everyone has a right to say their piece," Brown recently told Fox 19's Joe Danneman. "Nothing says that I have to shut up -- I can speak up if I feel sufficiently compelled so I'm not crying about it. The fact that people feel emotional about it or want to jump in -- thats good. I want them to be involved, that's the first step, even if they don't approve of what you're doing."

http://blogs.bengals.com/2012/08/03/brown-savors-a-life-in-football/

Not that he specifically had any critics in mind, but we should qualify.

Same source:

"People are entitled to see me however they wish to see me. Im pleased with the fact that weve done better here recently, and we want to do even better. Our goal is what you would think it is -- we want to be the top dog."

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Another quote for 2012

No score for this post
September 9 2012, 1:48 PM 

Mike Brown blesses us again with more wisdom. This on Marvin Lewis:

"I think he's a good coach. I think he's done well for us," Brown says. "This league has a problem with the mathematical issue that only half the teams are going to win. That doesn't mean everyone else is incompetent or bad. It creates a lot of hand wringing and heartbreak at the end of the year as we kaleidoscope-like re-do the direction of the team and that includes the coaches. I think probably people do too much of this, owners react in response to the public pressure... The way to handle the public pressure is to can the coach and it's his fault and he's the scapegoat... I think the league would be better off if there were fewer firings and we were more patient with our coaches."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hat-trick/13d44d63-1747-4732-8880-316ee1daa678

Ah ha. Maybe that's why we've had three playoff appearances in the past 21 years. It's a mathematical issue. Thanks for clearing that one up, Mike.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.71.100 on Sep 9, 2012 1:48 PM

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Yo--WTF?!?!?!?!??!?!

No score for this post
September 9 2012, 3:56 PM 

""I think he's a good coach. I think he's done well for us," Brown says. "This league has a problem with the mathematical issue that only half the teams are going to win. That doesn't mean everyone else is incompetent or bad. It creates a lot of hand wringing and heartbreak at the end of the year as we kaleidoscope-like re-do the direction of the team and that includes the coaches. I think probably people do too much of this, owners react in response to the public pressure... The way to handle the public pressure is to can the coach and it's his fault and he's the scapegoat... I think the league would be better off if there were fewer firings and we were more patient with our coaches.""

WTF is this bullsh*t?!?!?!?!?!?!? Did Mikey say anything here? These are just words. Good lord. No wonder why the Bungles are how they were.

Reading this was reminding of Carson "The Natural" Palmer in that "Inspirational" Meeting that Mike Brown gave a couple of years back....

"HEY--WHERE ARE YOU GOING, HOBBS!!!! SIT DOWN, HOBBS!!!!!!!"

LMAO!!!!!!

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 98.238.185.194 on Sep 9, 2012 3:56 PM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Re: *

No score for this post
September 9 2012, 6:20 PM 

The fact that Lewis got us into 3 playoffs - that is like anyone else getting to the superbowl.

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 10 2012, 4:41 AM 

"I think the league would be better off if there were fewer firings and we were more patient with our coaches."

WTF? he may be right, that mentality has excelled the Bengals organization to the top

That may be the most ridiculous thing that ever has come out of his mouth

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 10 2012, 6:22 AM 

If that's the case why didn't he keep LeBeau? He was there less than 3 years.

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

No score for this post
September 11 2012, 4:18 AM 

During breaks in last nights one sided affair (cough) against the Ravens there was a segment about Lombardi. Some of his inspirational thoughts on winning versus coming second. Now I know one is a coach and one is an owner but...would these words have ever entered the mind of Lombardi...and I quote MB

"I'm pleased with the fact that we've done better here recently"

So you give many squillions of dollars to young athletes and say to them "well son, just try and do your best, some of the time, if that's ok, I'm sure everyone will be happy with that, they certainly seem to keep coming back for more....hmmm, maybe it's the hotdogs. Remember mathematically (of course at this point he has probably just lost half of them) some teams, and by teams I mean us, have to come second, so you see we are all important, because if it wasn't for us there wouldn't be winners." and then "have you seen our lovely holiday home, we go there every January without fail"

This message has been edited by ukbengal from IP address 1.170.248.99 on Sep 11, 2012 6:37 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Ring of Honor

No score for this post
September 11 2015, 9:00 PM 

Way back in July, Mike Brown addressed Willie Anderson's complaints about the team not honoring its former players. He took responsibility, but something about it didn't feel right. Here's the quote, with my emphasis in bold:

"I understand the players," Brown said at the team's annual media luncheon. "They want to be remembered. I think it is a good thing to do that. We have never traded here on nostalgia. That's probably my fault. Because a little of it is a good thing. Fans like that sort of thing. What I'm saying is I'm stewing on it. I'm aware of the discomfort with our position." ...

"It's me, it's in my bones," he said. "Like everyone, I tend to look backward some, but I'm always focused on what's coming next. We've had decades now of wonderful players here. I can understand why people feel we should have celebrated them more and perpetuated their achievements better than we have. I'm probably at fault." ...

"We have no statues. We have no Hall of Fame. We have no Ring of Honor," he said. "We do have large pictures of the players in the foyer of the west side. But is that enough? Probably not. I confess it isn't. Maybe someone who comes after me can do better with this."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/07/28/mike-brown-lack--honoring-former-players-probably-my-fault/30789387/

He may be "stewing on it," and it's "probably [his] fault," but nothing's changing while he's still here!

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

My lone thought is...

No score for this post
September 11 2015, 9:03 PM 

....who are they going to honor....Anthony Munoz....and.....ANTHONY MUNOZ!??!?!?!??!?!?

Just saying. These guys have won more than the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Again....just saying....now my other thought is:

WHO'S FAULT IS THAT!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

LCD
(Login LCarpetronDookmarriott)

Re: Catalog of Mike Brown Excuses

No score for this post
September 11 2015, 9:28 PM 

Do former Bengals other than Munoz make appearances very often?

It happens all the time at Ohio State, even among former players who became HOF'ers in the NFL. They seem to prefer being at Ohio State than anywhere else.

It might be a little contrived for Mike Brown to do something now, but it would be a nice gesture. I assume there's some former players who don't want to be reminded of their losing seasons with the Bengals, maybe.

LCD
(Login LCarpetronDookmarriott)

No score for this post
September 11 2015, 9:32 PM 

On the other hand, some kind of memorial to former players would cost a little money, so it's probably a no-go.

Mike Brown: Penny wise and pound foolish.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 1 2017, 10:35 AM 

Should have added this one back in July. As noted in another thread, this was not the appropriate attitude to project coming off a meltdown playoff loss against Pittsburgh. From Hobson:

Lewis may have been fired from many NFL teams given the messy ending and a 0-7 post-season record. But [Mike] Brown is famous for being the most patient owner in any pro sport. Yet on Tuesday he offered an excellent defense of his guy. A fundamental, pragmatic view of another century.

“If coaches were hired and fired on that account, the NFL would have a turnover rate about three times what is has now,” Brown said. “Yes, we want to win a playoff game, we want to win the Super Bowl. So do a lot of other teams, most of which have not gotten as far as we've gotten.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mike-Brown-makes-another-run-for-it-all/02550f8b-9aec-4a91-86d4-cd5aff1bb651

Dude, you have the longest playoff win drought in the entire league. That means that every team has gotten closer to the Super Bowl since '91. Every damn one.

LC
(Login LoyaltyClause)

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 11:36 PM 

this man has not changed at all in 26 years.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
January 3 2017, 4:44 PM 

What's more is he IS NOT going to change a thing either till the day he takes the big dirt nap

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 19 2018, 6:33 PM 

This quote needs to be saved in this thread. The context: Mike Brown "shocks" the scribes and re-signs Marvin Lewis after his second losing season in a row. The re-signing happened in eraly January. Two weeks later MB is interviewed by the Cincinnati Enquirer:

The Enquirer: There was a real sense that this partnership was over following the three-game losing streak to Pittsburgh, Chicago and culminating in Minnesota with an ESPN report that Marvin Lewis had decided to walk away. Did you feel that way at that time?

Mike Brown: “I chose not to make a decision on what we were going to do going forward until all the evidence had been submitted. And that meant playing through the full season and not making a call prematurely. I would say that while we had serious reverses and they were unsettling, to put it mildly, we bounced back at the end of the year. We beat two teams that were in playoff runs. We beat them in games that were important for them where they gave their best shot and I was impressed how we rebounded. That played into what was in my mind when I had to make a final call.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

Those two Dead Cat Bounce (DCB) wins at the end of the season were, per the thread title, a convenient excuse.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

All these excuses...

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 4:27 PM 

And more...but the burning question I have is why doesn't mikey want it? Is he afraid of the spotlight (he is a bit of a recluse), if he goes deep in the playoffs does he fear the players wanting more money? Is it his personality - he comes across as non-competitive a type B personality type? Would like to get inside his head - maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 22 2018, 8:45 PM 

Good for Daugherty snarking at Mike Brown's comments as if he were one of us. This is from his Morning Line blog today. He later reworked it as a formal column, but I like this format better.

Speaking of formatting, this is just like how he had it online. Text in bold and italics are MB's words.

OUR MAN JIM OWCZARSKI got Cincinnati’s most thankless job Friday, and did a good job with it. That would be a question-and-answer session with Mike Brown.

This is like talking to brick, the difference being brick cracks on occasion.

It’s exasperating as a writer, but at least we get paid to be exasperated. As comprehensive as Jim’s interview was, it could have been done 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 1992, and produced the same answers. Do we need to get better? Yes, we do.

After three decades, this stuff is starting to hurt my brain.

Here are some of Brown’s remarks, in bold italics, and my reactions.

While we had serious reverses and they were unsettling, to put it mildly, we bounced back at the end of the year. December is to the NFL what April and September are to MLB. More than occasionally misleading.

I don’t think we’re far off. I think we can make the changes that we need to make and quickly rebound to the level where we were a couple years ago.” The level where you were? Losing your first game in the playoffs? That level?

We have to do better in certain areas. We’re going to try to. There is no try, Yoda. There is only do.

We were not as far as off as some surmise. A break here or there, a play here or there. Every nonplayoffs team in the league not named Cleveland says that.

You’re supposed to say, it’s good form, we’re going to win the Super Bowl. Well, that’s sort of a silly statement. Everybody wants to win the Super Bowl. Wanting and needing are entirely different. I want to play golf like Jordan Spieth. Moves made and not made here for decades indicate a casual want to win.

A lot of this talk, to me, is sort of a dance. Couldn’t agree more. Thirty years of this same dance.

But it is not anything more than banter, to use some of the formulae that you hear mouthed by different people. Part of our job, I guess, is just to sit back and listen and then go about our business which is one step at a time. Oh, the arrogance.

I have to just do what I think puts our team in the best position to win. Even if it is a short-term issue with our fans. A short-term issue? A short-term issue?!!? Oh, boy.

They’re going to come when we win. No, they’re not. Unless winning somehow is redefined at PBS.

In some ways, ours is a hard market. It is the fact that our people are judgmental about us. They are often easy to condemn when it doesn’t go to their standards. Someone, please hand Mr. Brown a towel in which to weep. Have the taxpayers pay for it.

But we’re coming off a run of playoff years and they began to see that as the bare minimum. Well, maybe for them it is. For most people in this league, it’s a pretty solid achievement.

That last sentence is really all you need to hear. Solid achievement equals no playoff wins in 27 years. Fans should shut up and be happy with that. Be like “most people in the league.’’ After all, Brown kept the team here. Stop griping and start genuflecting.

Man, I need to lie down in a cool place.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2018/01/22/what-mike-brown-doesnt-understand-and-never/1053569001/
"Doc: What Mike Brown doesn't understand, and never will" Paul Daugherty, Cin. Enquirer, The Morning Line, Jan 22, 2018

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return