<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: Instances 51-62

No score for this post
March 31 2010, 9:19 PM 

Storm, didn't you say that Hobson occasionally comes here and scans the threads? He's probably so desensitized to criticism by now that he wouldn't give it more than a shrug. Anyway, I'll send him a note, if just for the sake of completeness.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: I haven't laughed at a post this much in a while...

No score for this post
March 31 2010, 9:56 PM 

Alright, it's now been three long days. Time to revisit your question. What literary theme does this thread call to mind? It's not the bell-cow part itself that you're interested in, it's how an old idea (thread) by Belko was reclaimed and renewed.

I was feeling a little cross today as I pondered the question. Then I slipped it back in my pocket as a sense of inspiration enveloped me like a shroud. Yes, it's that certain time of the year! Spring has arrived along with its familiar symbols. All the holiday talk gives rise to the answer. The theme could be... it might be... it really should be... Jellybeans!

Huh? Huh?

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 75-80 (Half Dozen) -- We're up to date.

No score for this post
March 31 2010, 10:35 PM 

A veritable bovine extravaganza!

~~~

INSTANCE 75 --- Bengals solve division problem with run (posted Nov 29, 2009)
Benson believes that hell go back to being the bell cow getting the lions share of carries. When asked if there were enough carries to go around for three quality backs, Benson was a bit bemused.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-solve-division-problem-with-run-/346185ef-5462-4b90-9057-11da582a84fe

INSTANCE 76 --- Lions in Bengals' den (posted Dec 4, 2009)
Benson is back after missing the last two games and while the Bengals barely missed a beat with Bernard Scott and Larry Johnson each chipping in with a 100-yard game, don't forget that when Benson went down with a pulled hip muscle he was averaging nearly 95 yards per game and on record Bengals pace. Plus, Scott (toe) is out so Benson is going to be in bell-cow mode.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lions-in-Bengals-den/907db39e-d345-4826-8149-542d3ad158fd

INSTANCE 77 --- I got you (posted Dec 23, 2009)
Johnson, 30, is very appreciative of how the Bengals have treated him, but he doesn't expect to be back here next year with Cedric Benson having one year left on his deal and the emergence of rookie Bernard Scott. Besides, he feels like he can still be a bell cow.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/I-got-you-/4a730db3-5333-4cd2-b682-2ab3d6e7ee21

INSTANCE 78 --- Bengals to Jet into playoffs? (posted Jan 2, 2010)
Benson tees it up against the top-ranked Jets run defense and Jones, his archrival in the Bears backfield, where there was no love lost. They couldn't live together and it forced Joness trade to the Jets and this season they are both bell cows for playoff teams and contenders well over 1,000 yards and alternates in the Pro Bowl.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-to-Jet-into-playoffs/c163bb1d-53a6-4053-b8d2-7f5ba2661442

INSTANCE 79 --- Friday notes: Time to sell out for Benson; No. 14 remembers (posted Jan 8, 2010)
There wasn't enough room for Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones in the Chicago backfield of 2005 and 2006. But there is plenty of room at Paul Brown Stadium Saturday for them in the Wild Card game with Benson running the ball for the Bengals and Jones bell-cowing it for the Jets. Jones made first alternate Pro Bowl and Benson second alternate and Benson has to smile when he sees the alternative for the Bears is that they'll be watching at 7-9.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Friday-notes-Time-to-sell-out-for-Benson-No-14-remembers/3a612106-e62d-448d-a222-1ab06f93af30

INSTANCE 80 --- Hobson's Choice: Line dance (posted Mar 16, 2010)
Protect Palmer? Keep running the ball effectively. I'm more concerned about finding a backup bellcow running back for Cedric Benson insurance if he misses a few games. Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard are his backups and they are untouchable valuable. But if Benson needs a month, they need a 25-carry guy to go with them.

http://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-online/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-Line-dance/4d62d773-cb1a-4e6f-9f93-0e047449a817

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 173.89.148.224 on Apr 1, 2010 7:02 PM

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

Re: Instances 75-80 (Half Dozen) -- We're up to date.

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 7:31 AM 

I say when we make it to 100 (and I know we will), we raise a toast!

BMN

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Taking Stock

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 8:35 PM 

Usually there's a loud low rumbling when a stampede of cattle approaches. In this particular case we have an accompanying cacophony of clanging and jangling. Lookout, everybody! Those 70 links found on Bengals.com translated to 80 frisky bell-cows trampling our way. More if you count the bell-cows generated by Geoff Hobson interviewees.

And what a variety of specimens they are. We have clear-cut bell-cows, happy bell-cows, bell-cow guys, needed bell-cows, full-time bell-cows, backup bell-cows, 16-game bell-cows, big bell-cows, top bell-cows, vet-rookie bell-cow tandems, new bell-cows, unequivocal bell-cows, and true bell-cows. As if that weren't enough, we also have the bell-cow theory, the bell-cow debut, the bigger bell-cow-type, the bell-cow job, the bell-cow insurance, and my personal favorite: the lions share of the bell-cow carries. Whoa doggie, that's one well rounded-up herd.

For you, Storm -- here's the baaing (mooing?) question I sent to Hobson Online. The link takes you right back to this page:
I'm frankly bullish on our bell-cow situation for 2010. Cedric Benson is a top back in the league,
and Bernard Scott filled in admirably when given the chance. Not to forget Brian Leonard, who
frequently came through in the clutch.

Then again, as they say where I come from, you never can have too many bell-cows. So it
wouldn't shock anyone to see them beef up at the position. (Jim Anderson, I'm sure, needs
very little prodding.) Regarding the draft, just how low do you think they'll they go before they
moove on a halfback?

P.S. You've got to see this discussion on bell-cow backs. http://bit.ly/clcbPa

Ring Bovine
Clangmore, WI

DaCow, please take note of the extra herd member in Instance 21.

TOBB, I responded again to your question above, but the post is way up in the thread.

BMN, I completely agree about the century mark celebration. And the brew of choice is of course... Spotted Cow!

TOBB
(Login Bengal_Boy)

I love jellybeans.

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 9:30 AM 

I don't like those marshmallow rabbits so much? But the Jellybeans...

Ok I think I'm catching your drift.

"Well it's easter time. And that always reminds me of the heartwarming account of Elijah and the she-bears..."

Enjoy that.

This is roughly congruent to complaining about azimuth or zenith or whatever it was I was nitpicking (I live in an mmj state after all...). I think the vein I was hopeful of may be "20-20 hindsight" versus "posthumous", although the original and specific object of the adjective posthumous was to the original (and only)opportunity on which to capitalize.

I'm not sure I remember the original question.

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

This message has been edited by Bengal_Boy from IP address 208.73.249.250 on Apr 3, 2010 10:22 AM

Fulcher-the-Vulture
(Login Fulcher-the-Vulture)

Re: Taking Stock

No score for this post
April 4 2010, 9:38 AM 

I got a fever and the only cure is more cow bell.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

No score for this post
April 5 2010, 7:15 PM 

Cheers to Psycho our very own Bell Cow poster..obviously he can carry the load

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
April 5 2010, 9:57 PM 

Mooooooooo oooooooooo!

Hear that? That's the bell-cow lowing for you, Belko. But have no fear. We'll easily counteract the annoyance factor in any future bell-cow-isms.

Many thanks, and looking forward to having more fun with this topic.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

No score for this post
April 5 2010, 10:59 PM 

This thread has me utterly impressed

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

TOBB
(Login Bengal_Boy)

Impressed

No score for this post
April 6 2010, 8:12 AM 

Ha! Udderly...

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 81

No score for this post
April 26 2010, 6:29 PM 

Hobson's new blog is barely more than a week old, and he has finally graced us with another bell-cow. What took so long?

INSTANCE 81 --- Hobson's Choice Blog: Next up... (Posted April 26, 2010)
Look for the Bengals to look for a few things between now and training camp:

- snip -

* A veteran running back in the Larry Johnson mold who can lug it 25 times if Cedric Benson has to sit out a few games. Brian Leonard and Bernard Scott are perfect spot players, but the Bengals need a backup bellcow. Which would seem to suggest they'll go with four running backs and one fullback.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/04/26/next-up/

Alright, Whit. I'm sure you approve of the sentiment.

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

Re: Instance 81

No score for this post
April 27 2010, 7:41 AM 

I love the fact that Hobson is so in love with the term that he regularly applies it to backups. It's like calling Peyton Manning's backup a workhorse...

BMN

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 82

No score for this post
June 9 2010, 6:46 AM 

A nice profile on Cedric Benson. For a while, Hobson seemed to avoid the term while discussing our star running back. But now the stars are back in alignment.

INSTANCE 82 83 --- Finding Ced (posted June 9, 2010)
Anybody could have missed it. If you're looking to find the home of the Bengals bell cow running back in Greater Cincinnati, this wouldn't be in the multiple choice. The West Side is usually behind the Westchester-Montgomery corridor, Northern Kentucky, Eastern Avenue, and downtown on the list of player addresses.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Finding-Ced/a4e7848b-6085-4062-8d38-1f347f32d207

Benson has an interesting take on running within the Bengals system. Smooth like Sinatra, with bursts of Metallica mixed in.

EDIT: Numbering corrected. See post below.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 173.89.148.224 on Jun 20, 2010 9:42 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Instance 82

No score for this post
June 10 2010, 10:18 PM 

Oh how I wish somebody would snip together a medley of two songs. That would be Sinatra's Ring-A-Ding Ding and Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Perfect background music for a Ced Benson highlight reel.

BA
(Login bengalavenger)

No score for this post
June 11 2010, 8:38 AM 

psycho, I thought about you when reading that Hobson piece. I figured you'd get a kick out of the bell cow reference.
Coincidentally, I listened to those two songs recently -- both real toe-tappers. I might have more respect for Benson's interest in Sinatra if he hadn't found out about Ole Blue Eyes via Michael Bublé. I'm think I'm going to go vomit now.
Now I realize there's a couple of Sinatra references built into my original sentence.

REY MAUALUGA, THE NEXT GREAT
LINEBACKER IN "STRIPES"

[linked image]

Synonymous Bengal
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
June 11 2010, 7:00 PM 

That's the spirit, BA. We'll be able to milk the the Sinatra references from here to eternity. Some people may get tired of it, but that's life.
I get no kick from champagne.
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all,
So tell me why should it be true
that I get a kick out of you?

Some they may go for cocaine.
I'm sure that if I took even one sniff,
It would bore me terrifically too.
Yet I get a kick out of you.

~Sinatra sings Cole Porter

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

CORRECTION: Instances 82 and 83

No score for this post
June 20 2010, 9:39 PM 

Yikes, I'm losing track of the bell-cows! The previous instance now bumped to 83. Forgive me, as it was a sin to overlook a reference to 505 FS Jesus.

INSTANCE 82 --- Battle at the front (posted May 21, 2010)
The Bengals apparently haven't given up on the idea of bringing back fullback Jeremi Johnson. Indications are they are still talking about it. Right now they're two deep there with last year's seventh-rounder Fui Vakapuna, and rookie free agent Joe Tronzo out of Louisville. Fullback may be in the same category as a backup bell cow running back. Veterans become available in late August.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Battle-at-the-front/964e6e0f-25a4-48e2-beb7-0590c3a9f68b

INSTANCE 83 --- Finding Ced (posted June 9, 2010)
Anybody could have missed it. If you're looking to find the home of the Bengals bell cow running back in Greater Cincinnati, this wouldn't be in the multiple choice. The West Side is usually behind the Westchester-Montgomery corridor, Northern Kentucky, Eastern Avenue, and downtown on the list of player addresses.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Finding-Ced/a4e7848b-6085-4062-8d38-1f347f32d207

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 84 and 85

No score for this post
July 23 2010, 5:52 PM 

You knew it was coming: a celebration of Bernard Scott, our No. 2 running back who displays a hard-charging, workhorse mentality. Together with Brian Leonard, he forms a dynamic duo of backup bell-cows, ready to relieve Cedric Benson at a moment's (or commissioner's) notice.

INSTANCES 84-85 --- Stockpiling Scott (posted Jul 22, 2010)
Scott knows that there are concerns about his 5-10-195-pound durability, especially after cramps forced him from that 119-yard effort in Oakland and the turf toe that robbed him of another 100-yard day the next week against Cleveland when he left with 89 yards and didn't play for the next three games. Even when hes healthy hes not seen as a full-time banger, but like James Brooks, Scott has that 230-pound bell-cow mentality in a 195-pound body.

- snip -

While the Bengals see Scott and Leonard as bell-cow complements to Benson and would like a backup that can carry it 75-100 times in a month if need be like when Benson hurt his hip last year, Scott has the belief he can do it. Youre talking about a guy that had 313 touches as a senior and even though it was in the Lone Star Conference, the workhorse mentality is there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Stockpiling-Scott-/fdd21445-f8f8-465e-9dda-55b7d88626db

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 173.89.148.224 on Jul 23, 2010 6:29 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 86-88

No score for this post
August 30 2010, 8:31 PM 

Hooray for the homers in the blog comments section! They milked a couple of extra instances out of Hobson. After an interlude of about five weeks, we're now treated to a syncopated symphony of sycophantic lowing. Follow the link for the... gulp... stirring exchange.

INSTANCES 86-88 --- Hobson's Choice Blog -- Two-minute drill (Posted August 30, 2010)
Excerpt from the main blog post:
0:34: Huge battle at running back for that last spot with James Johnson and Cedric Peerman. It seems they are fighting for the right to be cut when Leonard returns in the first couple of games of the season. But there is also a larger issue of backup bell cow running back. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski talked about that last week.

Part of a reply to a reader in the comments section:
I dont know if Lynch is the guy, but if you see a bell cow out there and youre going to keep four back until Brian Leonard comes back any way, go get him. The problem is, how long can you keep four?

Part of an additional reply in the comments section:
In fact, everybody gets excited about the Cut down wire until they see who is on it. People are talking about finding a kicker, backup safety, backup QB, and back up bell cow running back all out there on Sunday.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/08/30/two-minute-drill/

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 173.89.148.224 on Aug 30, 2010 8:50 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return