<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Instances 89 and 90 (Tidying Up)

No score for this post
September 17 2010, 9:22 PM 

I still can't keep up with all the bell-cows. The Bengals.com search engine doesn't work with Hobson's blog, and I've been slacking on the reader comments. Shame on me. From now on, I'm using this search request in Google: bell-cow site:bengals.com.

To hell with chronological ordering; I'll just tack these on to the end. Hey, only ten more to go before we hit the century mark. From early July:

INSTANCES 89 and 90 --- Hobson's Choice Blog -- No deadlines (Posted July 6, 2010)
From a reply to a reader in the comments section:

Scott was able to pinch hit for one game off the bench and went over 100 before he got hurt. But even before then it was clear he's not a month-long bell cow and is a complementary (but explosive) player.

I get the sense they find this backup bell cow late in training camp, cut from another team to join Benson, Scott, and Brian Leonard, or else they would have made more of an effort to draft one.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/07/06/no-deadlines/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 91

No score for this post
November 7 2010, 8:55 AM 

Nine more to go! With the Bengals at 2-5 and headed for a slaughter against the Steelers, at least I have this to keep my interest piqued. Are you still out there, Belko?

INSTANCE 91 --- T.O. means tune on MNF (Posted Nov 3, 2010)
Benson, the Bengals bell cow running back, is having no problem standing up physically in this 2-5 start. But he admitted Wednesday the mental strain has been exacting.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/TO-means-tune-on-MNF/571b5f20-6bc5-4c21-8da7-94b98ae2b487

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

Re: Instance 91

No score for this post
November 8 2010, 8:16 AM 

i'm here... a troubled football season in Idaho.

Forgot to make my pick-em

dropped the wrong redskin in fantasy and accidentally lost Santana Moss off my pathetic team

Boise State winning  by a zillion points, and still dropping in the polls.

but yes.. feeling the cow bells with pleasure.

Belko

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 92

No score for this post
November 21 2010, 1:47 PM 

I do believe this is the first time that Hobson has referred to another team's bell-cow, other than a potential draft choice. Eight more to go until the Big 100. TOBB, I hope you make another appearance by then.

INSTANCE 92 --- Bengals look to roam on Bills (Posted Nov 20, 2010)
Pettrey's NFL debut is against a well-coached and deep unit. Spiller is out, but McKelvin has an NFL return TD and his punt return for a TD last week got called back on a hold. Fred Jackson is going to be Buffalo's running back bell cow Sunday, but he's dangerous, too. Last year he became the first player in NFL history to rack up 1,000 yards rushing and kick returns.

http://http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-look-to-roam-on-Bills/49133903-e7c0-407d-845a-3705163b5a9a

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

No score for this post
December 22 2010, 3:35 PM 

Well, well. The expected rate of bell-cows seems to have fallen off lately, and that's a darn shame. This alarming trend has me pouring over the data, trying to determine what is going on. When, oh when, might we hit the Big 100?

Check out the graph below for Hobson's historical usage of the term. You can see the running total as it increases over time, with each year being divided into thirds (January-April, May-August, September-December).

[linked image]

What really stands out are the two shaded zones, especially the one on the left. From May 2007 through April 2008, the bell-cows increased by a whopping 38 instances. That's over one-third of the total instances in a mere 12-month period! That's out of 11 years.

Talk about perspective. No wonder we had poor Belko howling at the mooin'.

Then there's the second zone, spanning September 2009 through August 2010. Here we had an increase of another 24 bell-cows. Think about that. Counting both zones, we had 60% of the bell-cows in only 19% of the total time period.

So what was going on during these two periods, and do they inform us of the future? I think they do. First we had the saga of Rudi Johnson. The old war-horse of a bell-cow was hanging on to his job in the face of age and declining skills.

Then we saw the dramatic emergence of a new bona fide bell-cow. Cedric Benson had his great 2009 season and playoff game, with the excitement extending well into the offseason. With his career turnaround, it was truly a great story.

Looking toward the immediate future, we now anticipate the potential loss of our beloved bell-cow running back to free agency. Talk of negotiations and college prospects should bring Hobson plenty of opportunities to wax bovinely. We may be on the verge of yet another big jump in bell-cow instances. And if we're lucky, we'll hit 100 sometime around the 2011 draft.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Another Bonus Bell-Cow

No score for this post
March 10 2011, 10:02 PM 

We're still in a holding pattern at 92. Can't count this one as a real instance. It's presented as part of an anonymous media-person question, not as Hobson writing in his own voice. Thus we have another auxiliary herd member. For your reading pleasure:

BONUS INSTANCE --- Marvin Lewis combine transcript (Feb 26, 2011)
Can Bernard (Scott) be a bell cow?
ML:
I think Bernard has to take another step in development and maturity-wise, maturation physically and mentally and then, I don't know. I don't like when people set limits on people. He's a little slight. That speaks to maturing more physically. And your habits, maturing a little bit in your preparation. He certainly has great ability and we don't want to downplay that. Right now Ced (Benson) is one of those guys that we have at other spots that is unsigned. Now you're looking at Bernard Scott.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Marvin-Lewis-combine-transcript/efdae1cb-0abb-4484-bab6-3517d382e9fd

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 93 and 94

No score for this post
March 17 2011, 6:17 PM 

I was all set to post that we were in the midst of the longest bell-cow drought since 2006-07. Then Hobson obliges and leads two more into the barnyard for us. Six to go before we celebrate. Nice excuse for the next get-together at Molly Malone's?
INSTANCES 93 and 94 --- More Thinking and Believing (posted March 15, 2011)

Jay Gruden's West Coast scheme is perfect for backups Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard and by virtue of being The Bell Cow, Cedric Benson would probably grab 30 to 40 by himself. In his three seasons here, Benson's high has been last season's 28 catches, but they seemed more out of desperation and it didn't look like the checkdowns were emphasized all that much. Benson may not be a scatback, but try tackling him in space when hes got a running start. Remember late in the '08 season when he burned the Redskins on a 79-yard screen that was the Bengals' longest play of that season? And the clinching TD he caught against Carolina last year?

The Bengals haven't always been infatuated with Scott's attention to detail in the passing game, but if he's heard about this playbook yet -- and it's anything like the usual West Coast -- this thing is right down his alley out of the backfield. For whatever reason, he's the most under-used guy on this roster. I'm not saying 15 to 20 touches a game, but how about between eight and 12? Or maybe even make him a bell cow for a couple of series like they were using him late in the year. In the coaches' defense, he did get nicked up here and there and that cut down on his availability.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2011/03/15/more-thinking-and-believing/

BrownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

Thank you sir...may I please have another!?!

No score for this post
April 27 2011, 9:17 AM 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Weekend-moves/96d6555b-a71b-49f6-ab2f-e2bfec357c8c

"No matter what, Benson is a free agent and the Bengals would dearly love to have back their BELL COW of the last three seasons. If they could have signed him in March, it would have opened up their draft board a tad. But this isn't any other year and not only is Benson free, so is third-down back Brian Leonard if the 2010 rules are in place."

[linked image]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 95

No score for this post
April 27 2011, 4:00 PM 

Thanks, BAC. This is more fun when other folks join in. happy.gif

That was officially Instance 95. If the Bungs draft another back, we might get a few more this week.

INSTANCE 95 --- Weekend moves (Posted April 27, 2011)
[See post above.]

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Weekend-moves/96d6555b-a71b-49f6-ab2f-e2bfec357c8c

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 96 and 97

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 4:56 PM 

Two more came in over the past two weeks. We are moooving closer to the big number.

INSTANCE 96 --- Biggest roster questions (Posted May 9, 2011)
RB: How many touches for Bernard Scott?

Assuming Cedric Benson and Brian Leonard are back, this is still the huge question. In his two seasons Scott has averaged 4.6 yards on his 135 carries and he's coming off a year he averaged 4.9 on a team that averaged 3.6. And he's caught just 16 NFL passes. The Grudens love to throw to their backs. Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman averaged 47 catches per his six seasons under Jon and Jay Gruden and Jay has indicated he'll have no fear throwing even to his bell cow Benson.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Biggest-roster-questions/0cfcb1d0-e6d9-43f8-8959-42f06c3c8d41

INSTANCE 97 --- Rey lifts off (Posted May 12, 2011)
» Bengals running back Cedric Benson made headlines in the past 24 hours when he said on Sirius Radio that he wants a major contract as a free agent. Welcome to the lockout, where anything uttered in a new cycle gets the World War II headlines.
Back on Feb. 15 he said he's "looking for what I lost" when it comes to his first contract since he's proven he's a reliable bell cow.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rey-lifts-off/e236a6a2-8681-4724-b21e-549105ba7be3c

BrownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

Not sure if this counts....

No score for this post
June 26 2011, 4:53 PM 

....does'nt say if Hobson wrote this...but it's posted on Bungs.com.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bensons-fortunes-soar-in-Cincy/8f268cc0-860b-4158-ac43-2fbdfc5e4499

"Since signing with the Bengals in September 2008, Benson has been the teams BELLCOW rusher, a leader in the locker room and a player known by media as a consistently cordial and thoughtful interview subject. He has led the team in rushing three straight years, with more than 1100 yards in each of his two full seasons. On Oct. 25, 2009 vs. the Bears, he ceremonially put an end to any lingering demons from his Chicago years, leading a 45-10 Bengals stampede with a career-high 189 rushing yards. The total stands through today as the most rushing yards ever gained by an NFL player against one of his former teams."~~~Hobson?!? @Bungs.com?

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 98

No score for this post
June 26 2011, 7:55 PM 

It's under Hobson's byline. He's not quoting anyone else. It counts. happy.gif

Ninety-eight down and two to go! Thanks again, BAC.

INSTANCE 98 --- Benson's fortunes soar in Cincy (Posted June 23, 2011)
[See post above.]

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bensons-fortunes-soar-in-Cincy/8f268cc0-860b-4158-ac43-2fbdfc5e4499

I have some thoughts on how to celebrate when we hit 100. I guess it has to be a virtual celebration, unless a bunch of you come to Wisconsin so I can buy a few rounds of Spotted Cow.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

Re: Instance 98

No score for this post
June 27 2011, 6:04 AM 

The gift that keeps on giving

BrownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

Number 99...oh so close now.

No score for this post
August 1 2011, 9:10 AM 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Whirlwind/547311f9-6021-4a63-bca5-3b0fa889a0c0

"That's supposed to come Monday morning in what has become Camp Turnstile all around the NFL. On Sunday they lost one player to a physical (Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui), gained their "BELL COW" running back (Cedric Benson), and saw Twitter blow up about being close to another deal (Bills safety Donte Whitner) while they already prepared to add one starter to the secondary (49ers cornerback Nate Clements.) Usually these deals are done in March, April, May. Not during stretching."~~~Hobslob

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CIN-C-STAR)

Re: Number 99...oh so close now.

No score for this post
August 1 2011, 11:11 AM 

Nate Clements a starter?

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Number 99...oh so close now.

No score for this post
August 4 2011, 5:45 PM 

Thanks again, BAC. I'm still thinking of ways to celebrate.

Ah... so close I can almost hear the clanging and jangling of Bell-Cow 100, way way off in the distance. And it's softly lowing for us. Moooooooooooooooo. Moooooooooooo. Moooooooooooo...

Edit: Adding formatted entry... for future reference:

INSTANCE 99 --- Benson's fortunes soar in Cincy (Posted Jun 23, 2011)
Since signing with the Bengals in September 2008, Benson has been the teams bellcow rusher, a leader in the locker room and a player known by media as a consistently cordial and thoughtful interview subject. He has led the team in rushing three straight years, with more than 1100 yards in each of his two full seasons. On Oct. 25, 2009 vs. the Bears, he ceremonially put an end to any lingering demons from his Chicago years, leading a 45-10 Bengals stampede with a career-high 189 rushing yards. The total stands through today as the most rushing yards ever gained by an NFL player against one of his former teams.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.83.42 on Aug 6, 2011 7:50 AM

BrownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

Ding...Ding...Ding....100!!!!!!!!!!

No score for this post
August 7 2011, 7:48 PM 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Roster-scrum-begins/37c9e20c-6bc7-471f-b45a-afa263e3c3f9

"It looks like Benson won't be disciplined by the NFL, but no one seems to know for sure. What is for sure is that he's the BELL COW, and it would take a surprising performance to knock out Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard as his backups. If he did get disciplined, they would have to go to the waiver wire or practice squad to get a guy and all of them are eligible for the squad and two of them might end up there."

[linked image]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Ding...Ding...Ding....100!!!!!!!!!!

No score for this post
August 7 2011, 10:10 PM 

Excellent, BAC! You're good at spotting these! And thanks for the virtual Spotted Cow! I'm pouring myself a tall one right now, of the non-virtual variety. Ahhhhh, that's good!

Woo hooo! (Or should I say, moo mooo?) 100 bell-clankers it is! CALNKITY CLANK CLANK!!

I have another thought in mind to celebrate, but for now, what could be better than some music? Yes, I'm referring to the incomparable Slim Whitman and his classic version of Cattle Call.

Take it away, Slim:

Wish I had you all here in Wisconsin so I could buy a few rounds.

Belko, where the heck are ya?!

INSTANCE 100 --- Roster scrum begins (Posted Aug 7, 2011)
It looks like Benson won't be disciplined by the NFL, but no one seems to know for sure. What is for sure is that he's the Bell Cow, and it would take a surprising performance to knock out Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard as his backups. If he did get disciplined, they would have to go to the waiver wire or practice squad to get a guy and all of them are eligible for the squad and two of them might end up there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Roster-scrum-begins/37c9e20c-6bc7-471f-b45a-afa263e3c3f9

And here is Version 1.0 of Bell-Cow Base, an exhaustive listing of all Hobson bell-cow references on Bengals.com:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/506360/MikeBrownSucks/Bell-Cow%20Base%20v1.0.xlsx

Whoa Doggie, that's one well rounded-up herd!!

Come on, you guys, any words for this momentous occassion?

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

Re: Ding...Ding...Ding....100!!!!!!!!!!

No score for this post
August 8 2011, 6:17 AM 

whoop de dee... over my morning coffee in the airpot... gotta love hobslob, can't believe it took so long, I'll be mooing about this all day... running with utters.

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Spotted Cow

No score for this post
September 12 2011, 7:02 PM 

Who'da thunk they thunk it! Here's Hobson's buddy and fellow Boston native Peter King in Monday Morning Quarterback (9-12-11). As seen under Ten Things I Think I Think, item 10.h.
Beernerdness: Yes, I had the Spotted Cow in Wisconsin. Good summer beer. Light and a little cloudy-yellow. You could probably drink a lot of them and be relatively unaffected. Problem was, I had it at the end of a very long day in Green Bay last Wednesday (at the incomparable Nicky's Lionhead), and barely made it through one. Too tired. But I approve.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/index.html#ixzz1XnD1ZwRD

I'll give the man credit. On this occasion, at least, he has good taste in brews. Sounds like he might have received plenty of recommendations. Good thing that was a lighter beer.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return