<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Instances 101 and 102 (and a bonus)

No score for this post
October 6 2011, 7:46 PM 

You do remember, don't you, that this is supposed to be a perpetual thread? No need for us to stop at 100 when the cattle range stretches endlessly before our eyes. And what a shame it would be to miss Dave Lapham and the first mention of ... bell-cow D-linemen!

Just when you thought it was safe to go outside... Bell-Cows 101, 102 and a bonus.

INSTANCE 101 AND A BONUS BELL-COW --- Update: Class of '83 salutes new No. 1 defense; Of mice and men; Bobbie exempted (posted Oct 3, 2011)

"Eddie was the bell cow on that line," Lapham said. "He was the guy that offenses had to find and would have to scheme. These guys don't really have that guy, but I think it's almost better to have eight above average guys, and I think that's what they've got. You look at the roster, the defensive line is the strongest position on the team."

Lapham says the closest lineman to a bell cow now is second-year man Carlos Dunlap, still seeking his first sack at left end after ripping off 9.5 last season in the final eight games.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Update-Class-of-83-salutes-new-No-1-defense-Of-mice-and-men-Bobbie-exempted/5db8c4c4-c16f-4cca-88ed-a890011b6d3e

Recall that the bell-cows are counted only when Hobson speaks directly. When he quotes someone like Lapham here, it's a bonus.

INSTANCE 102 --- Notes: Williams back Bossing; MJD backs outspoken Ced; Lee sees Finley in Gresham (posted Oct 5, 2011)

CED AND MJD: Only the Vikings' Adrian Peterson has carried the ball more times this season than the two bell cows that are no doubt going to continue to get a bunch of work Sunday in Jacksonville so that they protect their rookie quarterbacks.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Williams-back-Bossing-MJD-backs-outspoken-Ced-Lee-sees-Finley-in-Gresham-/a465ee37-6a63-45c9-911e-6f5ca6305c68

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

BrownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

Re: Instances 101 and 102 (and a bonus)

No score for this post
October 6 2011, 8:41 PM 

[linked image]

OldSchool
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Psycho

No score for this post
October 6 2011, 8:48 PM 

Dude--you are like the Energizer Bunny. You keep going and going and going and........

No, it's not that I don't like it--I do. Keep it up man. See if you can't go to 200.

Does Geoff Hopspin read this board? If not, he should.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 103 and 104

No score for this post
December 29 2011, 12:03 AM 

Two more clangers as the season comes to a close. Check out the very special herd member in 103 for Bronco, T, and rest of the Bucknuts.

INSTANCE 103 --- Cardinals-Bengals Preview (posted Dec 23, 2011)
Cardinals RB Beanie Wells, an Akron, Ohio product who became a Buckeye bell cow at Ohio State, has a semi-homecoming. He followed both the Browns and the Bengals and his favorite back growing up was Bengals all-time leading rusher Corey Dillon. The last time the Bengals beat the Cards, Dillon had the third biggest game of his career with 216 yards at PBS in a 24-13 win Dec. 3, 2000.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Cardinals-Bengals-Preview/de90d1a9-0dd9-462a-96f7-1cd7deaffc1e

INSTANCE 104 --- More notes: Gruden stays grounded on flip; Sticking with Benson; Limited Cundiff may bounce Graham (posted Dec 27, 2011)
Gruden is concentrating on making sure his bell cow still has his signature confidence.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/More-notes-Gruden-stays-grounded-on-flip-Sticking-with-Benson-Limited-Cundiff-may-bounce-Graham/d29e5e4b-e4a9-4f4d-be71-f0fc78b182d8

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 105

No score for this post
January 11 2012, 8:41 PM 

Could this be the very last reference to Benson as our bell-cow?

INSTANCE 105 --- Notes: Lewis upbeat; Ced's future? (posted Jan 9, 2012)
But while Benson had slightly more runs of at least 20 yards or more than last year (four compared to two), it was nowhere near his 10 of 2009. His eight runs of at least 15 yards didn't rank in the NFL's top 20, according to Elias.

Despite averaging 3.9 yards per with the limited carries, Benson retains his confidence of a bell cow back.

"As long as the field is 100 yards long and the games are being played outside," he said, "they are always going to need someone to pound the rock."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Lewis-upbeat-Ceds-future/3f05e19f-e692-44ce-8085-eff7a3997aa7

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 106

No score for this post
January 13 2012, 7:10 PM 

For those of you playing the drinking game at home, you should have two whenever Hobson uses bell-cow and "rang" in the same paragraph. And three whenever he uses them in the same sentence.

INSTANCE 106 --- Feeling a draft (posted Jan 13, 2012)

But Rang thinks Miamis Lamar Miller and Virginia Techs David Wilson could be options for the Bengals at No. 21. Neither have the size the Bengals always seek in their bell cow backs, but Rang believes the 5-10, 205-pound Wilson and the 5-11, 212-pound Miller can be franchise backs.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Feeling-a-draft/8cddb07b-0648-484a-8555-6386b7e70bb9

Cheers!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 107 and 108

No score for this post
February 20 2012, 7:10 PM 

Uh oh. Our OC thinks that no one can be a bell-cow back anymore. Tragedy! From where shall our future bell-cow references come? But our RB coach is looking for a new one, so maybe there's hope.

INSTANCE 107 --- Boomer makes a Super call (posted Feb 2, 2012)

Scarnecchia is back in the Super Bowl four years after winning the Super Bowl with a line that has three new starters. Anderson heads into a draft the Bengals are supposedly looking for a new bell cow running back with an all-time top five rushing list in which Anderson has coached every yard.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Boomer-makes-a-Super-call/04596d18-1754-4535-9092-4d4052afb7f3

INSTANCE 108 --- Gruden hopes practice makes perfect (posted Feb 20, 2012)

The signing of former Lions running back Aaron Brown on Friday as Cincinnati's first foray into free agency has contributed to the buzz the Bengals are going to make a change. But Gruden says Benson is still an attractive player, although he's also convinced no one can be a bell cow in this day and age.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Gruden-hopes-practice-makes-perfect/b014c730-ce51-4869-ba3c-9b8c1d74661d

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.65.158 on Jul 7, 2012 10:05 PM

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

A couple of questions

No score for this post
February 21 2012, 12:42 AM 

"The signing of former Lions running back Aaron Brown on Friday as Cincinnati's first foray into free agency has contributed to the buzz the Bengals are going to make a change. But Gruden says Benson is still an attractive player, although he's also convinced no one can be a bell cow in this day and age."

1. Brown--WHO?!?!?!??!?!?! NEVER HEARD OF HIM!!!!!!! Only he has the unfortunate last name of our lovely owner.

2. What exactly is a f*cking "bell cow" or "cow bell" running back? Sounds stupid as f*ck to me. Jesus. When I think of cow bell, I think of something in a pasture. That can't be any kind of good.

3. Other than Christopher Walken's bit on Saturday Night Live, what else does this f*cking sh*t mean??!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

Nice lame-o attempts, Slobson/Gruden. And Gruden--Goddamn dude--I praise you all season--and you come at us with this lame attempt to cover up your superiors. That just sucks. Like I said before--get out of Cincinnati while you still can.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 109

No score for this post
March 9 2012, 10:23 PM 

What if that rumor were true, the one where the Bengals trade up and draft Trent Richardson? The mind boggles.

INSTANCE 109 --- Rewind button for draft tape (posted Feb 28, 2012)

What is going to be interesting is that Gruden seems to have a different taste than what has usually passed for the typical Bengals bell cow. Except for Brooks, they've all been at least 5-10, 220ish pounds. All of them played in college's biggest leagues, ranging from the SEC (Brooks, Rudi Johnson), the Pac 10 (Dillon), the Big Ten (Pete Johnson) and Big 12 (Benson).

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rewind-button-for-draft-tape/e46a5676-98ad-45ea-8299-52affde1540c

And here, Falc, is an old poem that helps answer your second and third questions. Nixon Waterman was a poet and writer born in 1859.

The Old-Bell Cow By Nixon Waterman

WHEN I was but a boy, I loved so happily
    to roam
Through every nook and corner of the dear old
    country home;
At dewy morn to pasture I would drive the cows,
    and when
The shades of eventide drew on, I drove them
    home again.
And one among their number I remember very
    well,
It seems but yesterday I saw the cow that wore
    the bell;
She was not fairer than the rest, nor any finer
    breed,
Yet all the others followed her, wherever she
    might lead;
And in my youthful mind I used to wonder why
    and how
It was that all the cattle tagged the old bell-cow.

Strange years of shadow and of shine have
    passed away since then,
And now I mingle daily with the hosts of busy
    men.
And still I muse more earnestly than what I
    used to do,
For men, I find, are likewise quite peculiar
    creatures, too.
And some have natures made of gold, without a
    speck or flaw,
While some are only gilded forms, all padded
    out with straw;
And while the modest, worthy man the world is
    slow to heed,
The counterfeit, who loudly brags, steps in and
    takes the lead.
The one who makes the noise is sure to catch the
    crowd; and now
I know why all the cattle tagged the old bell-cow.

http://www.tastearts.com/tag/cow-poems/

EDIT: Corrected count.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.65.158 on Jul 7, 2012 10:07 PM

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Thanks, Psycho

No score for this post
March 10 2012, 10:34 PM 

"Pasture"

Whelp. Explains a whole lot--and the word "pasture" is included in the text. Great. Like I said. Not good.

LOL!!!!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 110

No score for this post
March 22 2012, 7:36 PM 

It's a sad, sad time in Bengaldom. For you see, Geoff Hobson has declared the bell-cow concept to be officially dead.

INSTANCE 110 --- Bengals get a hold of Green-Ellis (posted Mar 21, 2012)

The bell cow concept keeled over on the Paul Brown Stadium field and died with Benson's second fumble of the Christmas Eve fourth quarter against Arizona.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-get-a-hold-of-Green-Ellis/9a49e89c-d0fd-4780-b048-8ed89fb3b438

May it forever rest in peace.

At this time of intense mourning, I would like to present a reading.

No longer mourn for me when I am dead
Then you shall hear the surly sullen bell [cow]
Give warning to the world that I am fled
From this vile world, with vilest worms to dwell [now].

From William Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXI

And yet we shall steadfastly maintain our vigil, staying in the ready, and faithfully coral any stray bell-cows that might wander through the Bengals.com pasture.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.65.158 on Jul 7, 2012 10:10 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Extinction

No score for this post
June 21 2012, 9:16 PM 

Not only has Geoff "Nietzsche" Hobson declared the The Bell Cow to be dead, he now talks of species-wide extinction.

INSTANCE 111 --- Springing into summer (posted June 20, 2012)

But they know why The Law Firm is here. Offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is going running-back-by-committee. The Bell Cow is extinct at PBS and BJGE is going to be teamed with B. Scott and B. Leonard.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Springing-into-summer/7b7d04e9-6882-4f1a-857b-8fc59d6685bb

I've also noticed the term "workhorse" to be gaining currency among national sports writers, so it seems as if Belko's favorite word is also going the way of the DoDo.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.65.158 on Jul 7, 2012 10:12 PM

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

Re: Extinction

No score for this post
June 22 2012, 10:10 AM 

my bet is that the term may be shelved for a few months, it will however make a come back.

people always assess their own performance as "above average" even people who, when tested, actually perform at the very bottom of the pile. [Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

A Bell-Cow Golden Age

No score for this post
July 9 2012, 9:08 PM 

The bell-cow running back may be dead at Paul Brown stadium, but clearly we're still in the midst of a Golden Age. Check out the updated tracking chart:

[linked image]

Note again the sharp increase that began about five years ago. You might say that the Golden Age of the Bell-Cow at Bengals.com commenced on June 6, 2007. There have since been 92 instances of the term, a rate of about nine every six months. And after Ced Benson's last carry for the Bungs in January, seven more bell-cows strolled into the barn. (Eight if you start counting from the day the bell-cow died.) We're still pretty much on track.

Belko is right.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 112 -- The Bell-Cow Lives!

No score for this post
August 21 2012, 6:06 PM 

No, not even Jay Gruden can kill our favorite bovine. Just as we thought.

INSTANCE 112 --- Benson recalls Bears game in PBS return (posted Aug 21, 2012)
While Gruden said the Bengals "weren't looking to run him out of town," they also pursued New England's BenJarvus Green-Ellis to team with Scott. Before The Law Firm got hurt in the opener, BJGE flashed why the Bengals sought him: Patience, a nose for the goal line, and good hands in the passing game. Although he said Monday either Green-Ellis or Scott could claim the bell cow job, Gruden has indicated he'll use both. Ironically, while Benson makes his debut, Green-Ellis (foot) and Scott (hand) won't play.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Benson-recalls-Bears-game-in-PBS-return/c0905c3c-c2d1-4879-a7fc-f08023bf1b82

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 113

No score for this post
October 9 2012, 10:41 PM 

The bell-cow hath risen! With the oft-injured Bernard Scott now out for the season, it's the bell-cow-by-committee approach that's dead and gone.

INSTANCE 113 --- Bengals seek key to run game (posted Oct 9, 2012)

In Green-Ellis, the Bengals have the consummate pro. Plus, Lewis also looks at the $3 million per year deal they gave him and sees a guy that can handle a bell cow's diet of 300 carries even though his career high is 229 in 2010. He's already halfway to last season's 181.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-seek-key-to-run-game/47db7dc7-3102-4459-837b-591b8c41c9af

Our old bell-cow up in Green Bay has the dreaded Lisfranc injury, by the way, and won't be milking rushing attempts any time soon. Our new bell-cow is chewing on a steady diet of carries while trying to hang on to the football. Not sure where that takes us, but maybe I'd prefer the old bell-cow, even with one bad hoof.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 114 and 115

No score for this post
January 26 2013, 12:37 PM 

We were getting a little off pace here with the last instance coming back in October. With the draft coming up, combined with the prime need for another bell-cow back, things are starting to heat up again. We get a little bell-cow history this time around.

INSTANCES 114 and 115 --- Bengals hope complements abound (posted Jan 23, 2013)

When Anderson arrived in 1984, the Bengals were the epitome of the big-back team and their bell cow was a fullback in Pete Johnson. Owner Paul Brown had the first modern big back in Jim Brown in Cleveland and his best Bengals offenses had 230-pound plus guys like Johnson and Ickey Woods, and the best back in Bengals history is 225-pound Corey Dillon. Current owner Mike Brown muses in the stands here Tuesday there was a time 60 years ago when backs were rarely 215 pounds and it's getting that way again. His current bell cow, Green-Ellis, goes 5-11, 220.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-hope-complements-abound/88a92543-643f-4332-a039-8f47f95c5750

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

Re: Instances 114 and 115

No score for this post
January 27 2013, 5:14 PM 

Having Mike Brown scouting at the Senior Bowl is like having a monkey at a Quantum Mechanics seminar...

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 116

No score for this post
August 17 2013, 8:57 PM 

I started to believe that maybe Hobson swore-off the term. Here we have the first of hopefully many references to Giovani Bernard being the you-know-what.

INSTANCE 116 --- 'Hungry' Bengals chew on Titans (posted Aug 17, 2013)

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis gave running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis the night off and rookie running back Giovani Bernard responded as the bell cow with four straight touches for 47 yards that set up his one-yard touchdown to highlight the first offense's smooth outing Saturday night at Paul Brown Stadium and jump-started the Bengals to a 429-yard effort in a 27-19 victory over the Titans.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hungry-Bengals-chew-on-Titans/fa32cae9-2976-44c6-abb0-6baa02c34f23

He chewed-up yardage, he chewed-up the Titans, he chewed... Go, Giovani.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

De-Extinction Time?

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 6:10 PM 

We went the entire 2013 regular season without a sighting, but there's good news with Hue Jackson running the offense. Dacow brought this up in another thread, but let's tuck it in here, too.

The major takeaways from Friday's news conference besides the systems staying intact is that Jackson wants to be physical and run the ball first, and then establishing balance, as well as standing behind quarterback Andy Dalton.

"What I need to do is unleash these guys. Let them have the opportunity to do that," Jackson said of the physical style he wants. "We have a bunch of big, physical men you want to establish yourself as an offensive football team, you have to be able to put your hand down and block the guy in front of you. You have to be able to attempt to run over the other team. If you can't do that in this league, you have no chance of winning."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-playbooks-staying-the-same-Hue-must-run-over-people-to-win-Players-know-theyll-get-pushed/43513686-e1a5-4a0c-b2c9-d4fbcd29053c

As an option quarterback running and tucking and passing the daylights out of a Minnesota team...

Nearly 30 years later the 48-year-old Jackson still has goals and on Thursday he expounded on them as he envisions what his Bengals offense is going to look like. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has had three offensive coordinators in his 12 seasons and the first two, Bob Bratkowski and Jay Gruden, were always a bit hesitant to talk about an identity because they wanted to be multiple.

So does Jackson, but he also wants the Bengals to be able to do one thing well and that's push people around in the running game. One of the small knocks on Gruden was that he wanted to do everything well and while he's got a quick and innovative mind, the knock said, he went into Sundays with an unfocused game plan that had too many plays. It remains to be seen what Jackson will bring into a game, but he's intent on running the ball.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Jackson-puts-hand-Bengals-offense-on-the-ground/75753d50-d4cb-40fc-859d-ddf84470d8df

Now I ask you, how can the bell-cow possibly remain extinct?

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return