<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

SH
(Login SheopleHerder)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Missed one

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 6:35 PM 

Here's another one from December not listed here:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-hope-to-freeze-frame-playoff-chase-/67ee51c3-2bd1-4baa-ab31-655cefe5198d

Bengals hope to freeze frame playoff chase
Posted Dec 7, 2013
Geoff Hobson

(Excerpt from near the middle of the article)
...I think its a game that has a Bengals win stamped all over it. I think they're going to be able to run the football. I think the Bengals offense in a lot of ways is what the Colts want to be in terms of being able to run the ball and to have that great duo of backs. Trent Richardson hasn't worked out well for the Colts. It doesn't seem like he's reading the holes properly. Donald Brown is a nice back to have, but a guy you'd rather platoon than be a BELL COW-TYPE back. They are hurting in the interior and they're trying to run an offense that doesn't emphasize their strengths.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Missed one

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 7:35 PM 

Thanks, SH! Hunting bell-cows can be a lonely job, so your help is much appreciated. How the heck did I miss that? Guess I'm slacking off. Let me go ahead and number it and put it in my format. Hope you don't mind.

INSTANCE 117 --- Bengals hope to freeze frame playoff chase (posted Dec 7, 2013)

I think it's a game that has a Bengals win stamped all over it. I think they're going to be able to run the football. I think the Bengals offense in a lot of ways is what the Colts want to be in terms of being able to run the ball and to have that great duo of backs. Trent Richardson hasn't worked out well for the Colts. It doesn't seem like he's reading the holes properly. Donald Brown is a nice back to have, but a guy you'd rather platoon than be a bell cow-type back. They are hurting in the interior and they're trying to run an offense that doesn't emphasize their strengths.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-hope-to-freeze-frame-playoff-chase-/67ee51c3-2bd1-4baa-ab31-655cefe5198d

One of these days I'll make a chart of Bell-Cow Rate by Offensive Coordinator. I'll wait for the Hue Jackson regime to settle in first.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Stats

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 8:14 PM 

I kinda relate to this thread probably the same way you relate to my "I'm gonna get my wish this year" thread.....

I like what you're doing.....keep it up man.....you have some posters support in here.....

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Re: *

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 8:52 PM 

I agree Psycho puts a lot of time and effort into these stats to give the board a better understanding of things. I looked at other boards and didn't find anything there what we have here.

SH
(Login SheopleHerder)

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 10:03 PM 

You're welcome, Psycho.
I just googled "bell cow" and "Geoff Hobson" and limited the time to the last year.

SH
(Login SheopleHerder)

No score for this post
January 10 2014, 10:20 PM 

By the way, what an odd term to keep using so many times!!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Top 20 Bell-Cow Countdown: #20

No score for this post
April 15 2014, 5:20 AM 

I didn't realize that we passed the fourth anniversary of this thread a few weeks ago. And here we are in the midst of another long buildup to the NFL draft, this one being extended another excruciating two weeks. (As will all those that come hereafter.) To commemorate this auspicious occasion, and to help pass the time till draft day, let's relive some of the fun from past years.

Over the next 20 days, we'll countdown the best of the bell-cows. That's right, one per day. Or in some cases, we'll combine similar quotations as with #20. My fellow MBS'ers, I give you a mooing medley of bell-cow insurance.

Top 20 Bell-Cow Countdown: #20: Bell-Cow Insurance
(2008)

By the time you re-sign Andrews, deal with insurance for the bell cow running back situation in case Rudi Johnson isn't 100 percent, and grapple with a receiving tight end (all things they need at some point, right?), they have to make sure they don't short the defense.

But Lewis said the club wants to see how Johnson responds physically before deciding for sure if it needs to find insurance for his bell cow spot, reiterating he thinks the enormously-proud Johnson will return as hungry as the guy that won the job in 2004.

Which brings you back to the question if the Bengals need insurance for Johnson at bell cow.

But don't forget the running back Smith, at 6-1, 217, the last guy with any size that could conceivably provide bell-cow insurance for Rudi Johnson.

(2009)

With Cedric Benson hampered by a sore abductor muscle that has made him iffy for Sundays game in Oakland and maybe beyond and Johnson looking impressive in a Paul Brown Stadium workout Monday, the Bengals appear to be opting to bring the 6-1, 230-pound former two-time Pro Bowler into the mix as bell cow insurance and not a threat to Benson's No. 1 status.

Protect Palmer? Keep running the ball effectively. I'm more concerned about finding a backup bellcow running back for Cedric Benson insurance if he misses a few games. Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard are his backups and they are untouchable valuable. But if Benson needs a month, they need a 25-carry guy to go with them.

OldSchooler
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Psycho

No score for this post
April 16 2014, 6:11 PM 

Isn't 2009's injury the equivalent of a "severe labia pull"? LOL

Just kidding, Benson (if he's reading this).....that guy ran hard as hell.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Another Bonus Bell-Cow

No score for this post
September 11 2014, 7:31 PM 

I have high hopes for rookie Jeremy Hill to become that mythical beast. Or maybe they have too many weapons for it to happen. Unless such time arrives where Hill gets 20-30 carries per game, we'll just have to make due with the occasional crumb. Marvin Lewis comes through when discussing... his best wide receiver.

BONUS BELL-COW --- Matchup of the Game: A.J. and Julio down by the yards (posted Sept 11, 2014)

"I think coming out they were very similar," allows Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “The difference is, Julio goes to a team that has another experienced wideout (Roddy White) and an experienced quarterback (Matt Ryan). He went into a different situation than what A.J. came into. A.J. came in as the bell cow of it all. He was the most experienced guy. It's good to have a good leader."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Matchup-of-the-Game-AJ-and-Julio-down-by-the-yards/1e092d05-80ce-46c9-b0ff-6f0a52c04ac4

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 118

No score for this post
October 8 2014, 5:47 PM 

Seems like Hobson tends to slip in a bell-cow reference or two the week after a loss, when I'm too disgusted to read the articles. This time I remembered to run the web search. Here we go: our first Jeremy Hill reference with hopefully many more to come.

INSTANCE 118 --- Hobson's Choice: rushing roulette (posted Oct 7, 2014)

It looks like they're at their best when rookie Jeremy Hill goes between the tackles and Giovani Bernard hits the perimeter or gets loose on screens and short passes. At the moment, they're using Bernard for the bulk of the carries, but they may be better off making the 6-1, 230-pound Hill the bell cow with 15-20 carries while getting Bernard all kinds of touches around him in the run game and pass game. Gio was terrific Sunday night. He is all out all the time. I actually think he may be even more dangerous with fewer snaps and touches, but in more space.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-rushing-roulette/054f26af-3c61-4db2-958c-552e447b2722

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.76.58 on Oct 8, 2014 5:52 PM

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

LMAO!!!!

No score for this post
October 8 2014, 10:14 PM 

I heart this thread, Psycho. Very nice.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

Re: LMAO!!!!

No score for this post
October 11 2014, 12:34 AM 

I heart it more
people always assess their own performance as "above average" even people who, when tested, actually perform at the very bottom of the pile. [Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 119

No score for this post
March 7 2015, 7:50 PM 

Another Jeremy Hill reference! This one slipped in not long after the Super Bowl. And here we are almost at the 5-year anniversary of this thread, during the endless lead-up to the draft.

INSTANCE 119 --- Hobson's Choice: more issues and answers (posted Feb 3, 2015)

And they've got to find a way to get Gio the ball more in open spaces and on linebackers. I mean, Shane Vereen isn't half the back Gio is and the Pats coaches made him look like Marshall Faulk in the Super Bowl with 11 catches. Hill may be the bell cow next year, but Bernard is still going to get a lot of key touches as the change-of-pace guy. If Hill gets 15-to-20 touches a game, Gio gets 8-11. The only question is how. I think Hue uses him a lot more in the pass game this year. With Gresham expected to be gone, I'm going to write in Gio for 60 catches.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-more-issues-and-answers/c42d397c-bcc9-4833-b920-be875ebf3d1b

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 120

No score for this post
August 20 2015, 2:09 PM 

Here we go. I don't see any reason why the Jeremy Hill References won't come fast and furiously if he has a big year. A positively brutish bell-cow if ever there was one.

INSTANCE 120 --- Hill, Beckham bring star power (posted Aug 11, 2015)

But what about Beckham’s LSU buddy, close friend and last year’s fellow NFL Rookie of the Year finalist Jeremy Hill, the Bengals’ bell cow running back? As balletic as Beckham was down the stretch, Hill was as brutish in leading the NFL in rushing the last nine weeks of the season.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hill-Beckham-bring-star-power/28e70f31-0532-43f7-9a9b-b5ce51362201

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

Re: A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

No score for this post
August 20 2015, 9:17 PM 

The thread that keeps on giving.
people always assess their own performance as "above average" even people who, when tested, actually perform at the very bottom of the pile. [Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It]

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Wait a sec...

No score for this post
August 20 2015, 11:23 PM 

....how in the hell didn't Hill get ROTY last year? That guy was a beast and came into play something like Week 5, right?

Just think if he started every game.

Lemme guess--press being partial to Cowboys, Giants, Steelers, etc. and impartial to Bungles?

I can see their point....but still.

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 131.89.129.235 on Aug 21, 2015 1:49 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instance 121

No score for this post
September 6 2015, 5:03 PM 

It's so nice to be getting regular bell-cow references again, especially from Hobson's Choice columns.

INSTANCE 121 --- Hobson's Choice: roster buzz (posted Sep 3, 2015)

BRIAN: Thanks for reading. You’re right about them not having a bell cow behind Hill, but they could certainly piece together enough carries among Burkhead, Bernard, and Peerman to get those carries. But I guess it would come down to how long you didn’t have Hill. You could do it for a month, but beyond that? I don’t see James Wilder, Jr., or Terrell Watson making the club, but I could also see them getting claimed if they try to get them to the practice squad. I would imagine they’d like to get both on the squad. It’s virtually impossible to make a trade with a guy like Watson, an undrafted rookie that figures to get cut. The sense is they think Peerman is too valuable to lose on teams.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-roster-buzz/d5782924-10fa-4865-bdd3-99ae39e21576

Synonymous Bengal
(Login BelkoTomTom)

No score for this post
September 9 2015, 11:40 AM 

now he is mouthing off at not having a bell cow for a back-up???? That is simply hilarious...

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Instances 122 and 123. Missed two!

No score for this post
September 13 2015, 4:02 PM 

Just take me out back and shoot me! I completely missed a couple of bell-cow references over the summer. This screws up my ordering, but that had happened already. The instances are numbered in the order that we find 'em...

We might have our first instance of a special teams bell-cow.

INSTANCE 122 --- Camp bubbles up (posted Aug 9, 2015)

Williams took a lot of snaps Saturday in place of Nelson and he’ll get a load over the next four games. After three seasons they seem to want to find out if Williams can play from scrimmage. He’s already a special teams bell cow. It would appear Keo and Smith are hooked up for that last safety spot with Keo’s experience giving him an edge. Smith does make plays, though. His interception Saturday got waved off because of Dawson’s sack.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-bubbles-up/39154324-e035-4169-bdd8-635d6267d906

INSTANCE 123 --- 'On to Chicago' (posted Aug 26, 2015)

The execution, particularly in pass protection, was poor. Then again, there was no full-blown game plan. Jackson only called on his coveted running game eight times and his bell cow, Jeremy Hill, ran it just four times when the first group was in there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/On-to-Chicago/38a8f5cc-3aab-4401-afd8-0b9bb16ea1ba

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 174.103.234.187 on Sep 13, 2015 5:57 PM

LCD
(Login LCarpetronDookmarriott)

No score for this post
September 13 2015, 4:05 PM 

Does Hobson even know he writes this all the time?

Reminds me of Matt Millen constantly saying "bloody their noses" during the Ohio State/Hawaii game yesterday. If it was part of some drinking game, I might have passed out drunk.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return