<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Doc Hits Another Home Run

August 14 2011 at 8:33 PM
Average Score 1.0 (2 people)
Katie  (Login KaBTK)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 69.61.218.246

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110813/COL03/308130022

But after 3-34 in Detroit Friday, Im pulling out the joke book. I watched and I saw The Lost Decade, Part II. I dont want to be angry every Monday for four months. I really dont.

Laugh or cry? I recommend the former.

Bingo.  I watched the game with a sense of humor, and I enjoyed it so much more.  It was wonderful not getting upset.

I love Doc's candid columns on the Bengals.  They usually are able to capture how I'm feeling.  I'll bump this througout the season because I'm sure he'll have some good ones.

--------------------------------------------
"With a quarterback greener than a first year, a hovering ghost, and a magic wand of an offense handed down from the founding fathers of the franchise, Jay Gruden is a fiery, passionate underdog in the Harry Potter mold." Geoff Hobson July 15, 2011

Brown on being back to work: "We're like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Hook
(Login TrooperHook)

Re: Doc Hits Another Home Run

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 5:52 AM 

Of course Doc has it right. And it's hardly a complicated notion.

I have to amusingly speculate if Murf will get the point....even one so uncomplicated. He's asked a number of times why people follow a team that they disrespect.

We enjoy laughing. At the owner. At the team. And at the enabling Sheople.

Dave
(Login DaveinWV)
MikeBrownSucks.com Forum Moderator

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 7:53 AM 

It was a good read. But I have to say, I don't enjoy laughing. I just get mad, shake my head, and quit watching or listening. It's just not fun for me to root for everything to go badly, eventhough it going to. I just lose interest. Trust me, I've tried to laugh but I'm just fooling myself. My personal solution to the mockery of a real football team is to just not pay attention as much and wait for Kentucky basketball, which almost always seems to make me happy.

(Login takinitintherear)

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 8:22 AM 

Look at it like a very bad relationship....

Things started out so well, you were deeply in love and so encouraging to each other and then BAM! A backhand across the face for no reason. He said he was sorry and it would never happen again. A few months later you two are at your favorite restruant and having a good time...You look at another person dish - and WHACK! A smack upside the head....next thing you know you are in a full blown abusive relationship. Some stay in and take the beatings - some get out.

I got out.

...Now think of me as the counselor at the local shelter trying to educate those staying in that they need to get out before its too late.

T

(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 8:24 AM 

One could seriously write a paper about existentialism based on Daugherty's year-by-year reflections on the Bengals.

Let's say you're PD and you've decided on two things in your life: 1) you want to be a sportswriter, that's the career that fulfills you, 2) you want to live in Cincinnati, you have built roots there. How do you reconcile those two?

As a sportswriter, is there anything fulfilling about writing about the Cincinnati Bengals?

Creatively speaking, what is there to talk about? The team stinks, always has stunk since MB took over and always will stink. As much as we rib murf, honestly, he should be (or at least should have been) the beatwriter for the Enquirer. Why? Because he was one of the people that genuinely believed there was a point. For you or I, debating who the backup QB should be or the battle for free safety.....what would the point be? MB owns the team, nothing is going to happen...why bother speculating? You need to genuinely believe there's a point to speculate to write with any conviction.

PD is convinced the Bengals are doomed to stink, but to write that week-in, week-out, is stale. But to write otherwise is to lie. I'd hate my job too.

BMN

(Login takinitintherear)

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 8:41 AM 

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/08/14/final-thoughts-about-the-detroit-drubbing/

I am thinking either Joe Reedy is becoming the next Hobspin or he got a talking to. I was a party this weekend and there were homers there saying the same thing: its only the first game and its a lockout year and "we" have not had that much time.....

My response - Did I miss where the bengals were the only team who were NOT practicing during the lock out - because I am pretty sure everybody was in the same boat and started at the same time.

Come on Joe Reedy - think before you speak (type) I see you predict the bungs will win 5 games this year. I would love to bet you that they wont win 1 game!

T

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CheapAndEasy)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 15 2011, 2:34 PM 

I don't necessarily "root" for things to go wrong, but "wait" for something oh-so-Bengal to happen - such as the first pass thrown by the rookie QB being an INT, or the first kick-off return fumbled away to the other team, or a Nate Livings missed block or holding penalty any time they have a play over 10 yards, or watch Leon Hall try to cover anybody, and then laugh...a lot.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 4:48 PM 

Anyone see Herm Edwards on Mike & Mike? I heard he went of on MB and said the Bengals will never win a SB while under Brown. Couldn't find anything on the net though.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Ironically enough

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 11:43 PM 

Here's what the homers had to say about it:

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?p=1879603

LMAO! Such sheep. Shamey Shamey.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Good suggestion by PD

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 11:46 PM 

"In the midst of several Bengals games, I retreated to the press dining area, where a bank of TVs lined the back wall. I watched other games, so as to acquaint myself with the National Football League. I watched Monday Night Football, marveling at the skill. So, thats how its supposed to look."

Yes! Finally--a good sense of mind to watch another game. Filled with REAL NFL Talent. Watch the Colts vs. Patriots. The Steelers vs. Ravens.

Somebody--Anybody else besides this filth. Good idea! I say stick with it, fellow fans.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

Bo
(Login HipLikeBo)

Re: Good suggestion by PD

No score for this post
August 16 2011, 5:05 AM 

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CheapAndEasy)

No score for this post
August 16 2011, 7:55 AM 

PD had another good blurb today calling out McAlister.

Love it. Love that at least one local media person isn't afraid to challenge the status quo of Brown's money machine.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CheapAndEasy)

No score for this post
August 16 2011, 7:57 AM 

Also, I can't wait for the beat down vs. the Jets and more comic relief, and to see how the sheeple react to it.

(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
August 16 2011, 10:14 AM 

Score 1.0 (1 person)

LOL!  Is that you, Mike Brown?

"With a quarterback greener than a first year, a hovering ghost, and a magic wand of an offense handed down from the founding fathers of the franchise, Jay Gruden is a fiery, passionate underdog in the Harry Potter mold." Geoff Hobson July 15, 2011

(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
August 16 2011, 10:15 AM 

I don't necessarily "root" for things to go wrong, but "wait" for something oh-so-Bengal to happen - such as the first pass thrown by the rookie QB being an INT, or the first kick-off return fumbled away to the other team, or a Nate Livings missed block or holding penalty any time they have a play over 10 yards, or watch Leon Hall try to cover anybody, and then laugh...a lot.

That's how I look it too.

BERGYMAN
(Login BERGYMAN)

MIKE BROWN .....THE BLOB

No score for this post
August 16 2011, 8:58 AM 

I think legal action needs to be taken. Mike Brown refuses to alter any lease deals while the City is at a 14 million dollar loss in sales tx revenues. The Cincy Public School system has been getting shorted and are owed money.... I am sick of the Phrase from MB " "We had and agreement" with the City or with Carson . YOU HAD AN AGREEMENT TO HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM here IN CINCY WHERE IS IT. ?????........ I choose the Third option Laugh Cry or........ FIGHT

Katie
(Login KaBTK)

Re: MIKE BROWN .....THE BLOB

No score for this post
September 26 2011, 1:41 PM 

Thankfully, bad game was not televised locally

Doc: Bloom is off the Red Dalton rose

For sheer entertainment value, it was right up there with thumbscrews and cowbells. Those unfamiliar with NFL football, yet fully acquainted with our national exuberance for it, would think weve all lost our minds.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110925/COL03/309250037/Thankfully-bad-game-not-televised

(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
September 26 2011, 1:57 PM 

Heck, his blog is even better:

The Moaning Whine, 9/26

1. At least 35 lux boxes empty. At 100K per, thats $3,5 mil, straight from The Family pocketbook.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
September 26 2011, 3:31 PM 

I do agree that Gruden quit attacking after that first drive until the last drive... Baffling...

"Insert witty quotation here"

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 26 2011, 5:12 PM 

Are the 35 empty boxes empty because the owners didn't go to the game or are they unsold?

SF2
(Login SaintsFanToo)

didn't go

No score for this post
September 27 2011, 2:00 PM 

The boxes are all sold out. They just didn't go which is sad since most are corporate owned and that means regular working stiffs didn't even want to see it.

(Login bmncaper)

Re: didn't go

No score for this post
September 27 2011, 2:16 PM 

Boxes being empty when they have already been sold can be the first step to the boxes not being sold in the future. Companies don't like paying for things their clients don't use.

I saw it firsthand in Atlanta with the Thrashers. First the corporate rows (which were designed asininely but that's a rant for a hockey forum) were bought but not filled. Then pretty soon, I suspect they were just "less sold" as indicated by the team's decline in revenues and eventual relocation.

BMN

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Empty Boxes

No score for this post
September 27 2011, 5:54 PM 

Speaking of empty boxes, BMN, check out this little-known classic by the Everly Brothers. Mikey-Boy's new theme song?

Current Topic - Doc Hits Another Home Run
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return