<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

In-the-Hunt Futility Stats, Week 13 Special Ed., Bengals v. Panthers

December 1 2011 at 10:05 PM
No score for this post
  (Login psychostats)
MikeBrownSucks.com Forum Moderator
from IP address 107.10.83.42

This being Steelers Week II, we select another team that's off the Bengals season schedule. WCB and Falc requested the Panthers, so here we have yet another cat that can't hunt. You already know by now who comes out worse. See below.

Bengals and Panthers Stats

[linked image]

[linked image]

Quick Points

- The Panthers franchise commenced in 1995, so we have another 15-year versus 20-year comparison. (The last 20 years covering Mike Brown's reign in Cincinnati.) And in five fewer years the Panthers had more 100% in-the-hunt seasons, 3 v. 2.

- Over the life of the Panthers franchise, they have managed to be "in the hunt" an average of 50% of the time. Compare to the Bengals average of 35% over the same span. (All percentages are adjusted.) Jerry Richardson beats Mike brown. Shocking.

- Over the past 10 years, the Panthers were slightly better, 52% v. 48%.

- We saw last week that the Lions, bad as they often were, gave their fans nine seasons where they lingered in the hunt for 10 weeks or more. That was over the last 20 years. The Panthers managed roughly the same "success" rate by producing seven such season in 15 years. As we pointed out last week, the Bengals gave us four in 20.

Overview of "In the Hunt" Futility Stats

- Each week we parallel the regular season and compare the Bengals one-on-one to the current 2011 opponent. The exceptions are the bye week and the rematch weeks against divisional foes when we pick other teams to benchmark.

- Weeks "in the hunt for a winning season" serves as a rough proxy for playoff contention. And thus for fans' hopes and happiness. We ultimately want a championship, right?

- To be in the hunt, a team can be no more than one game below .500 with no more than seven losses.

- During the season, a team can fall out of the hunt and then climb back in.

- An example running won-loss record for five weeks: 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-3. This team was in the hunt after Weeks 1, 2, 3, and 5 (total = 4).

- Bye weeks are counted like any other week in the season. For example, the Bungs get a freebie if a bye comes while they're still in it. Why? This is all about the fans' experience. (By the way, there were two byes in '93.)

- Adjusted "percent weeks in the hunt" throws out the first week, as all teams get an automatic freebie.

- The time period covers Mike Brown's ownership on the Cincinnati Bengals franchise, counting only complete seasons (1991-2000).

- Tables compiled from data on pro-football-reference.com.

Previous posts

Week 1 Browns:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1315628376/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Bengals+v-+Browns

Week 2 Broncos:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1316235434/last-1316245390/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Bengals+v.+Broncos

Week 3 49ers:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1316971735/last-1316989401/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Bengals+v.+49ers

Week 4 Bills:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1317510076/last-1317588395/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Bengals+v.+Bills

Week 5 Jaguars:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1317874042/last-1318191775/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Bengals+v.+Jaguars

Week 6 Colts:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1318568112/last-1318800268/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Week+6%2C+Bengals+v.+Colts

Week 7 (Bye) Raiders:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1319171302/last-1319225895/Bye+Week+Special-+In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Bungs+v.+Raiders

Week 8 Seahawks:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1319686341/last-1320131587/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Week+8%2C+Bengals+v.+Seahawks

Week 9 Titans:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1320557744/last-1320655130/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Week+9%2C+Bengals+v.+Titans-Oilers

Week 10 Steelers:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1320901848/last-1321221067/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Week+10%2C+Bengals+v.+Steelers

Week 11 Ravens:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1321597508/last-1321838835/In-the-Hunt+Futility+Stats%2C+Week+11%2C+Bengals+v.+Ravens

Week 12 Lions (Browns Rematch Week):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/thread/1322026663/last-1322197665/Turkey+Week+Futility+Special-+Week+12%2C+Bengals+v.+Lions

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Simon Cowell
(Login oldschoolerfan)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

American Football Woes

No score for this post
December 1 2011, 10:11 PM 

There we were--in Charlotte, NC--and I thought I saw the worst singer lined up at the Bank of America Building.

I was wrong.

You're the worst singer in America, Bungles.

Just pathetic. Shaddup, Paula and Randy. Are you going to move to LA soon? If so, look up another vocal COACH.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

(Login psychostats)

Re: American Football Woes

No score for this post
December 4 2011, 1:54 PM 

And with that 35-7 pounding by the Steelers today, the Bugs have still not defeated an elite team. They should limp on to two more wins and stay officially in the hunt for a full season, 100%. Not that it feels like they're a viable playoff team, because it doesn't.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

"Freshman" QB, Young Players

No score for this post
December 5 2011, 12:57 AM 

"And with that 35-7 pounding by the Steelers today, the Bugs have still not defeated an elite team. They should limp on to two more wins and stay officially in the hunt for a full season, 100%. Not that it feels like they're a viable playoff team, because it doesn't."

This is exactly why I don't like Rookie QBs in big games. They let the pressure get the best of them every single time.

This team is wayyyyyyy too young to understand what big games truly mean.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

(Login BringBackForrest)

But

No score for this post
December 5 2011, 7:36 AM 

Don't you guys think that at least on the team that we cut out the cancer and are on the right track? i realize Mikey is still there but to me the future looks brighter than it ddid 6 months ago. Do we have needs-- you bet. We need to get Shipley back, we need another stud WR. We need a couple of good corners--- and a good strong safety. But the Steelers need a whole new defense in about 1-2 years. Baltimore is getting long in the tooth.

I see us turning a corner. We are not as stout as Balt or Pukesville but except for yesterday's game I love the heart of this team.

I look for them to go 3-1 and make the playoffs. Even if we get beat up in that game-- Dalton and company will learn what it takes to win. I am not a homer but I love the confidence i see. I think they got out o sorts yesterday after being on the 4 yard line and not scoring. Young teams will lose their spunk quickly when things don't go right. They have some Growing to do--- I can't wait for next year!

BBFG

(Login bmncaper)

Re: But

No score for this post
December 5 2011, 8:11 AM 

Don't you guys think that at least on the team that we cut out the cancer and are on the right track? i realize Mikey is still there but to me the future looks brighter than it ddid 6 months ago. Do we have needs-- you bet. We need to get Shipley back, we need another stud WR. We need a couple of good corners--- and a good strong safety. But the Steelers need a whole new defense in about 1-2 years. Baltimore is getting long in the tooth.

The problem is this: Mikey hasn't really changed much, and his past track record suggests that this will all flame out.

Go back to 2003: the Ravens were supposed to be on their way out then too. The Steelers? Tommy f###in' Maddox was their quarterback. The Browns were...well, the Browns. And the Bengals went 8-8 and had a promising receiving core (this Chad Johnson guy? Man, he works SO HARD. He SLEEPS in the stadium! He wants to play in Cincy until he's 40? Can you believe this guy?), the offensive line was getting better and better and this was before Carson Palmer even took a snap (and MAN, how good are we gonna be when HE takes over!?!). Mikey had done ONE thing to show that he'd "really changed" (hiring Marvin instead of an internal hire, in 2011, he actually buckled and traded for Carson).

And of course, there was a progression. But it had a ceiling. Why? Because while the team had managed to acquire some better pieces and flushed out some old ones, the same $#!++y culture existed.

In the hands of the right management, this team could be built to be a champion. There's more than enough of a starting point there. And in this age of NFL parity, even #$&!wad can manage to probably get this team to the playoffs a couple of times. And if that's ALL you're looking forward to, than by all means be optimistic. But if you think the makings of a long-term winner are here, I'd say look to history first before making that leap.

What gives anyone any faith that the Bengals will build around this core? They never did it before so what suggests they'll do it now? They kept Giggles. It took ten f#%&ing years for Brat to get $#!+canned...what'll happen if either Gruden or Zimmer gets a head coaching offer? Are the young players that have zero attitude problems now still going to have zero attitude problems after they've spent enough years to see how threadbare the org in Cincy is compared to other cities?

Pardon me for being a tad pessimistic, but I've seen this play before and it doesn't end well.

BMN

(Login psychostats)

Re: But

No score for this post
December 5 2011, 6:13 PM 

What gives anyone any faith that the Bengals will build around this core? They never did it before so what suggests they'll do it now? They kept Giggles. It took ten f#%&ing years for Brat to get $#!+canned...what'll happen if either Gruden or Zimmer gets a head coaching offer? Are the young players that have zero attitude problems now still going to have zero attitude problems after they've spent enough years to see how threadbare the org in Cincy is compared to other cities?

I completely agree with BMN. Well said.

And Jonathan Joseph is the perfect example of how management will find a way to screw the team. It's well past the broken record stage to keep mentioning it, but think of how much better the Bengals would be with J-Joe. They'll miss the playoffs this year in large part because they didn't re-sign their best cornerback. And if they manage to sneak in next year, it will be the first back-to-back playoff seasons in 31 years -- missed.

OldSchooler
(Login oldschoolerfan)

There are some intelligent posters

No score for this post
December 5 2011, 11:56 PM 

"What gives anyone any faith that the Bengals will build around this core? They never did it before so what suggests they'll do it now? They kept Giggles. It took ten f#%&ing years for Brat to get $#!+canned...what'll happen if either Gruden or Zimmer gets a head coaching offer? Are the young players that have zero attitude problems now still going to have zero attitude problems after they've spent enough years to see how threadbare the org in Cincy is compared to other cities?

I completely agree with BMN. Well said.

And Jonathan Joseph is the perfect example of how management will find a way to screw the team. It's well past the broken record stage to keep mentioning it, but think of how much better the Bengals would be with J-Joe. They'll miss the playoffs this year in large part because they didn't re-sign their best cornerback. And if they manage to sneak in next year, it will be the first back-to-back playoff seasons in 31 years -- missed."

Man, that is some real good stuff. Nice work, fellas. happy.gif

Current Topic - In-the-Hunt Futility Stats, Week 13 Special Ed., Bengals v. Panthers
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return