<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

How About Them Reds!

May 23 2012 at 7:09 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)

bengalbear  (Login bengalbear)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 65.27.233.7

Change of pace from all these political discussions. Certainly looks like the teams coming together now and a pleasant surprise at that. That play Phillips made at 2nd earlier in the game should make a highlight reel. Let's hope they keep it rolling esp. after winning that series against the Yanks on the road.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

Re: How About Them Reds!

No score for this post
May 23 2012, 8:02 PM 

There's plenty to be optimistic about right now. Votto and Bruce haven't even kicked it into gear yet and they are only 1/2 game out even though the team is only batting .190 with two outs and RISP. It looks like the crowds are coming back too. Makes me anxious to finish my rehab on this broken hip so I can go to a game. happy.gif

(no login)

No score for this post
May 23 2012, 8:34 PM 

Damn straight!

Phillips and Latos coming around. Chapman has potential to be the next dominant closer in this league, unless they think he can be the next dominant starter! Arroyo has bounced back from mono too and been a solid #3 guy.

I feel like we will definitely be right there by the end of the season, and maybe comfortably in first. I just hope we can manufacture some runs against good pitching, it's been our achilles in the Dusty-era, despite having Votto.

uscthree
(Login uscthree)

Win and Dusty will keep his job...

No score for this post
May 23 2012, 8:57 PM 

Bruce very hot and then very cold. Weird how the guy is so streaky. You can't sit this guy though. You just gotta go with the flow.

Bullpen is unfriggnbelievable. Whoever is responsible for signing Arredondo when he was injured (picked up from LA Angels)...just a great gamble that is paying off now. Chapman, lights out, especially to young dudes that never have seen him. Marshal is a one trick pony and I hope he has not been promised the closer role. HE IS NOT A CLOSER! Ondrusek doing a nice job as well. Mop-up guys don't get a lot of love from anyone but you gotta love this guy LeCure. He accepts his role and looks like a veteran out there even though he has logged very few MLB innings relatively speaking.

Love this Cozart kid. Wow, BA is nothing special but I'll give him time on this front and he can field with a shotgun of an arm. Votto-Phillips, shoe-in All Stars if anyone is paying attention. Any team would kill to have one of these guys on their team. Phillips is so fun to watch. I salute the Reds for putting their money down on this guy. He is worth it in my eyes. As usual, let's cut down on the K's Stubbs. Frazier can step up and make it an easier decision for Rolen to retire, Ludwick needs to be drop kicked and Heisey needs to be put in full time in LF. Very underated is our catcher, Hanigan. Mesoraco can learn a lot from this guy.

How can anyone not be happy right now? Yeah, Reds are trailing Cards in standings but if you look at the schedule they have played an easy schedule. The good teams will beat them down like red-headed step children.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

Re: Win and Dusty will keep his job...

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 5:55 AM 

I think Jay Bruce's problems are mainly above his shoulders. Maybe he should see a hypnotist. BUT, he's also pulling his shoulder open when he swings which causes his head to follow. Damn shame he seems unwilling or unable to work on that and his hitting coach Brook Jacoby seems to not even care. There are simple ways to cure that particular bad habit during batting practice.

murf
(Login murf129)

Re: Win and Dusty will keep his job...

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 8:29 AM 

Watching this team is fun.
Between watching Votto approach the game the way you should, taking every pitch as a professional to watching Phillips play defense is awesome.

Chapman is another reason to turn on the tv or go to a game.

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Re: *

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 9:34 AM 

"if you look at the schedule they have played an easy schedule. The good teams will beat them down like red-headed step children. "

Easy schedule? The Yanks and Braves easy? True they may have some weaknesses in starting pitching and other areas but they are ahead of where I thought they would be.

(Login broncobux)
MikeBrownSucks.com Forum Moderator

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 10:51 AM 

After a few years, has Dusty finally figured out the lineup?

OMG.

Sky is the limit with these guys. Just a solid batting lineup. Great team.

"Insert witty quotation here"

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 12:33 PM 

Dusty had no choice...
the fans were going ape sh!t over Dusty keeping Harris.

Dusty still tires to tinker too much.
Replacing Fraizer with Valdez in the 9nth is his new gig.
Why on earth he believes Valdez is a better player is yet to be figured out.

theydey
(Login theydey)

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 12:33 PM 

Figured out the line up my arse. It's all pitching baby!!

Essentilly, the Reds have just come off one of the worst streaks of hitting I have witnessed, and are still in the hunt. If the offense ever comes around then its lights out.

I went to the game on Saturday against the Nationals. Even though the Reds lost it was a playoff atmosphere and I got to see Chapman pitch. I know they want him to start but I think he is better as a closer. With an 0.00 ERA it's hard to say that there are any better out there than Chapman as a closer.

uscthree
(Login uscthree)

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 5:34 PM 

My bad bengalbear. I was not clear. I was talking about the Cardinals schedule. They have played the Braves, Dodgers and Reds as far as quality. Make no mistake about it, I am a Reds fan.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 6:45 PM 

4 game sweep over the Braves - a quality team.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
June 7 2012, 7:10 PM 

Time to start looking forward to fall and the Bucks playing. These guys svck. Started winning a few games then they lose two series to pittsburgh in a week. Votto great, Phillips good, after that, they got nothing.

The Swamp Rat
(Login deweywarren)

Dusty is an idiot

No score for this post
June 7 2012, 8:03 PM 

...and the Reds won't be going anywhere until he's gone.

Also, we could have had McKutcheon a couple of years ago, and we didn't even make an offer...

This message has been edited by deweywarren from IP address 71.194.34.190 on Jun 7, 2012 8:09 PM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 7 2012, 8:31 PM 

We've got one good starter, another pretty good starter, a good bullpen (but that might break down if we don't get more production out of the other starters), two pretty good hitters, two above average hitters - but the other hitters not so good, a pretty good defensive team - they'll be in the hunt but might run into problems in late July and Aug. That time period separates the men from the boys.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 7 2012, 9:21 PM 

As far as the fall - let's not go there. Let's enjoy what we have here now, at least for now the team's in the hunt. I can't even think about agonizing over another season with the Bungs yet.

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
June 8 2012, 8:12 AM 

Dusty lost the game last night.
It is hard for a manager to lose a baseball game but Dusty finds way.

2 times the game situation dictated a bunt.
2 times, he sat there playing with this tooth pick.

Then to top it all off, he was pumping up Willie Harris again.

This team is as good as anyone in baseball.
Just hoping Dusty is not a problem down the stretch.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 8 2012, 10:50 AM 

If the Reds bomb down the stretch and finish as bad or worse than last year than Baker's gone. Jocketty won't put up with it.

Dave
(Login DaveinWV)

No score for this post
June 8 2012, 3:01 PM 

Dusty did not lose that game. In the 10th, in that situation, you DO NOT BUNT! If you bunt, the best scenario you have is runners on first and third with one out (they would walk Bruce). The infield is now in double play depth and a hit would most likely have scored Votto from second anyway. Giving up the out just gives you one less chance to score the run.

I'm all for playing some small ball, and if this were a high school game I'd be more likely to bunt the runner to third because of the possibility of a passed ball or wild pitch, but not in the MLB where hitters are supposed to be able to hit behind the runner anyway.

(Login takinitintherear)

No score for this post
June 8 2012, 7:22 PM 

Agreeing w Murf....dusty is costing this team some games. Horrible dcn making

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

What's that????

No score for this post
June 11 2012, 1:02 AM 

Blew a lead with the closer in?!?!?!?!??

The Reds have a long wayyyyy to go before seriously considered as being a contender.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

murf
(Login murf129)

Re: What's that????

No score for this post
June 11 2012, 2:30 AM 

Best pen in the national league had a bad night..

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

Re: What's that????

No score for this post
June 11 2012, 5:34 AM 

Pirates beat Chapman a few days ago and now the Tigers last night. This would be like that time someone found a "chink in Jeremy Lin's armor" but I can't think of anything funny Cuban to say...

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 11 2012, 8:07 AM 

You have to beat the top teams at home at the least to be considered a contender or - if you do happen to sneak into the playoffs you will lose at home and get bounced in the 1st round like 2010. The Reds obviously have some holes to fill.

bronco
(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
June 11 2012, 5:11 PM 

Dusty managed like a puzzy last night.

He should have left Bailey in to face one more batter in the 7th. Get the out and then pull him.
Then Arredondo pitched nothing but balls to walk the batter.
He then wasted Marshall on Prince Fielder.

And then pulled Ondrusek to let Chapman play 2 innings.

Admittedly, Chapman stuck up the joint, but Dusty mismanaged those last 3 innings horribly.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 11 2012, 5:13 PM 

I think this is the last year of Baker's contract. If he botches things up and the Reds fade out of the hunt than he will not be invited back to the party and in all likelyhood retire.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

One BAD IDEA

No score for this post
June 12 2012, 8:41 PM 

"I think this is the last year of Baker's contract. If he botches things up and the Reds fade out of the hunt than he will not be invited back to the party and in all likelyhood retire."

Who in the f*ck thought Dusty Baker would come in and do something David Copperfield-like?!?!?!?!?!? Not this GD soul.

Somehow "I told ya so" just isn't enough here.

Speaking of Copperfield--has he been bathing in the magical virgin blood "Keep Me Young" Waters of Youth? Has anybody seen that commercial? This guy hasn't aged a day since he made the Statue of Liberty "disappear".

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

(Login broncobux)

Re: One BAD IDEA

No score for this post
June 13 2012, 6:35 PM 

Dusty can get you to the playoffs, but he cant win the World Series.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 13 2012, 6:59 PM 

Win the World Series? We haven't won 1 playoff game in what seems like an eternity and we unexpectedly got in the playoffs in 2010 and our weaknesses were promptly exposed. We have a ways to go yet and I just checked the stats and we only have 1 hitter over .300 that being Votto. We need more than that.

theydey
(Login theydey)

No score for this post
June 14 2012, 9:08 PM 

I am by far not a Dusty Baker fan but I will also conceed that there are far worse managers. So don't tell me to get rid of Dusty till you offer an alternative.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
June 14 2012, 11:07 PM 

How about Joe Morgan? He's qualified, he lives in Cincinnati and he's already on the Reds payroll.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
June 15 2012, 3:06 AM 

Payroll? What does he do?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
June 15 2012, 5:58 AM 

He's a special assistant to Walt Jockety I think.....

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 15 2012, 7:32 AM 

Morgan will be 69 this year - older than Baker (63). Isn't that a little long in the tooth?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
June 15 2012, 2:11 PM 

Yeah that would be ancient if he were trying out to be one of the players. He's very active and mentally alert and he's got more baseball savvy than most people half his age. He runs a successful business north of town and leads a very active life. I wouldn't waste time worrying about his age if I were you.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 15 2012, 4:16 PM 

I think it is a concern - someone pushing 70 really going into a 7 month or more gig - most people are semi-retired before that. Joe, even though he has a lot of baseball smarts has 0 experience managing. To push someone who will be 69 soon into that kind of deal - isn't that somewhat like hiring Gerry Faust to be Notre Dame's coach - someone with 0 college experience. I have some doubts on that one.

(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
June 18 2012, 10:24 AM 

Joe Morgan will be 69?

No way, he was just playing ball a few years ago in the 70s

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
June 18 2012, 11:37 AM 

Actually he's still 68. A whopping 5 years older than Krusty.

This message has been edited by ItmightbeJB from IP address 74.215.234.122 on Jun 18, 2012 11:39 AM
This message has been edited by ItmightbeJB from IP address 74.215.234.122 on Jun 18, 2012 11:38 AM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Reds fading fast

No score for this post
June 22 2012, 8:23 PM 

It now looks like my greatest fears about this club are coming true. They have 2 starting pitchers who suck and another who is marginal at best. They have at least 3 hitters who suck and they are poor at driving in runs. In short this team is not playing championship ball and at this pace will be out of the hunt by the All Star game. It was a nice tease but I'm afraid the party's just about over.

(Login CIN-C-STAR)

Re: Reds fading fast

No score for this post
June 22 2012, 10:23 PM 

Dude, it's only been four games, three of which they lost by a single run.

Out of the race by the All-Star break? Take a xanax man, it will be OK. They still have Cueto, Votto and BP, who are known commodities. Their bullpen is finally getting healthy again (sans Chapman, hope the back is OK). Stubbs will be back soon. Rolen is back and while not the same guy he once was, is quality depth. Bruce is due for another hot streak at some point.

I'd be pretty surprised if they won it all this year, but I'd also be pretty surprised if they weren't in the divisional race basically all year. In fact, I expect them to win the division. Come playoffs, sure, let's worry. But it's a long season. Don't let a few losses get you down.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
June 22 2012, 10:44 PM 

Out of the race by the All-Star Game? Who's going to step-up and run away with it? The Pirates? The Cardinals sans-Pujols?

(Login takinitintherear)

No score for this post
June 23 2012, 8:28 AM 

Now you sound like Murf and the end is near......it's the muslm players I tell you...it's their fault.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 23 2012, 11:03 AM 

I think there are problems on this team - the top 4 hitters are hitting 363, 293, 287 and 318 and the one hitting 318 is a pitcher!

Our top pitcher (Cueto)is good but the next two have era's of 4.2 and the two after that are even worse. At this point the Reds don't have enough parts to make the playoffs.

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
June 23 2012, 12:30 PM 

Whats everyones thoughts on Dusty not pinch running for Scott Rolen last night? Was Rolen the best option?

Bottom of the 9th, no outs down 1 run, Rolen singles, they bunt him over, then theres a bloop single and they don't wave Rolen around, Rolen eventually stranded at 3rd and Reds lose. Not saying a pinch runner would have scored but not convinced he wouldn't have either.

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
June 23 2012, 1:47 PM 

You guys still watching them?

The Swamp Rat
(Login deweywarren)

In Dusty you Trusty

No score for this post
June 25 2012, 11:51 AM 

Because Baker is an idiot. (Short answer).

Now, someone 'splain how the Cuban Missile went in one year to the mother of sll Scuds?

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 25 2012, 4:24 PM 

Chapman throws a fastball most of the time and they are now sitting on it. He has a so so slider, below average curve and I'm not sure he has much of a changeup. When your #1 reliever goes down then you will see games like the other night when we couldn't close out a last place team like the Twins. Right now it doesn't look good.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
June 25 2012, 4:25 PM 

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 65.27.233.7 on Jun 25, 2012 4:26 PM

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
July 6 2012, 5:50 PM 

Dusty cost another game last night, pulled his starter in the 7th up 1-0 with Latos still strong at 100 pitches, Dusty is single handily blowing the Reds chances

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 6 2012, 6:30 PM 

They are 3-5 on this road trip so far - the starting pitching hasn't been bad but the hitting is atrocious. They are in the bottom 3rd in hitting and their pitching isn't good enough to offset the hitting woes. They might be in 3rd place at the All Star break and will be heading into the part of the season that separates the men from the boys. Maybe a trade before the deadline - we'll see.

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
July 6 2012, 7:11 PM 

Dusty is an anchor on a speed boat....

(Login CIN-C-STAR)

No score for this post
July 6 2012, 8:40 PM 

"Dusty cost another game last night, pulled his starter in the 7th up 1-0 with Latos still strong at 100 pitches, Dusty is single handily blowing the Reds chances"

In his defense, Latos threw complete games in his last two starts before that game, and if he leaves him out there everyone goes into Dusty is an arm killer and mismanages young pitchers mode.

Sometimes seems like he can't win. I'm not a Dusty booster or hater, but it seems to me he is for the most part just the favorite scapegoat for the fans. Any time you lose it's easy to say the coach should have done something different.e

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 7 2012, 3:45 AM 

One of the stats I would like to get - is what are the pitcher's era at home vs. what is it on the road? I'd hate to be a pitcher in the Red's park as small as it is and especially this time of the year when the balls fly good. It is not pitcher friendly in that park.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
July 7 2012, 7:34 AM 

The Reds have definitely built themselves well for that park, though.

I think that this division race will be interesting. The Reds are flat out the best team in the division on paper. The Cards have a knack of hanging in there. The Pirates IMO are for real (McCutcheon should be MVP at this current pace ahead of Votto). And I'm not so sure that the Brewers are done...a lot of underachieving talent over there.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Road Trip

No score for this post
July 8 2012, 6:35 PM 

Good performance on the road. I thought they'd go 4-7 but instead they went 6-5. Anything over .500 on the road especially out there against 2 tough teams is very good. I still think their starting pitchers do better on the road - it's cooler out there and the ballparks are more pitcher friendly.

T
(Login takinitintherear)

Re: Road Trip

No score for this post
July 8 2012, 7:22 PM 

Im not worried about the Reds...... I'm worried about the Pirates.....do they have staying power or are they all sizzle and fizzle?

Also do we have the right make up for the 2nd half?

This team is so damn inconsistent it is hard to say where we need help...... I just wish they could hit more.l.lthey ate too streaky.

But all in all....I'm enjoying them and it's nice to see the large crowds at GABP each night.

bengalbear
(no login)

No score for this post
July 10 2012, 11:25 AM 

This team has had a role reversal - in past years this team was not know for pitching esp. starting pitching. Now they are the 5th best in the Nat. league in pitching but are in the lower 3rd in hitting esp. with runners in scoring position - in other words clutch hitting. But for all their misgivings there they are in the hunt and if the season ended right now they would be in as a wildcard. The 2nd half will be interesting if only they can firm up that hitting.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
July 10 2012, 11:30 AM 

They will make the playoffs, but wont advance.

Pray for one win.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Wildcard

No score for this post
July 10 2012, 2:50 PM 

I kind of have a bad feeling about this - the Reds will get one of the two wildcard spots but with their luck lose and be out. I wonder also who gets homefield in the wildcard playoff game - the one with the best record or some other criteria (head to head) ?

BrownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

Re: Wildcard

No score for this post
July 16 2012, 4:36 PM 

Well Sh!t! Votto out for at least the next month.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 16 2012, 5:36 PM 

Just now found out - 3-4 weeks arthroscopic surgery. We'll find out about their bench now.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CIN-C-STAR)

No score for this post
July 16 2012, 6:33 PM 

The fans on Cincinnati.com are by and large blaming Dusty for this?!
Bwahaha!
Seriously people, he ain't the trainer and doesn't have a medical background as far as I know.
The Dusty hatred is over the top!

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
July 17 2012, 7:40 AM 

But all in all....I'm enjoying them and it's nice to see the large crowds at GABP each night.

Agreed! The Sunday Night game on ESPN seemed like a playoff game, and the fans treated it that way.

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
July 17 2012, 3:11 PM 

I dont' blame Dusty for Votto being injured.
Injuries happen, that is part of the game.

Other players have to play better during this time.

theydey
(Login theydey)

No score for this post
July 17 2012, 4:22 PM 

I hear that there is talk of Sean Casey coming back to fill the spot while Votto is gone. LOL.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 17 2012, 8:47 PM 

Baker knew Votto was hurt after the June 29 game but I think Votto wanted to play through it - when it got to be a noticeable hobble they together decided on the operation. Hard to come down too hard on Baker - he's made some mistakes but what manager hasn't? The team is in 1st place and if it still is when Votto returns, than the same fans who critized him on the Votto injury will call him a genius.

Sean Casey - he's 38 about the same age as Rolen. Hey, if he can still hit why not? If he is in shape and wants to do it - just a temporary gig.

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 65.27.233.7 on Jul 17, 2012 9:29 PM

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CIN-C-STAR)

No score for this post
July 17 2012, 9:56 PM 

Short of winning the World Series, there is a large contingent of fans that I don't think will ever give Dusty credit for much of anything, and even if we win one some will say we should have won 3 but for Dusty being the manager.

I honestly think he is pretty average. He pretty much plays it by he book in terms of in game decisions, so he is about an average tactician I'd say. By all accounts his players like him (and tho he can be standoffish to the media it's usually to protect his players so I can respect that), so I'd say he is above average there. Some of his roster decisions puzzle me and we all know his propensity to favor veterans, but you have to admit sometimes it works and yet he doesn't get credit for that. Ludwick has been solid the last month but most fans didn't have patience for him. Baseball is a long season, you don't want someone who is too reactionary. Still, I'd say he is below average there. That adds up to about average.

I think Dusty gets blamed for player development, or lack thereof, but I think it's unfair. The team has hitting coaches that are supposed to develop hitters. Pitching coaches work w pitchers one on one. Dusty doesn't, can't and shouldn't be asked to do everything. He's also not the GM. People criticize his lineup, including me, but the team lacks a lead off hitter. No matter what Dusty does, there is no easy answer with that one. Everyone wants to bat BP at lead off, which I'd be fine w, but he's also a better hitter w RISP than almost anyone outside Votto. Do you want him at the plate w nobody on MORE often?

Reality is the Reds are a small market team and will probably always have some holes. I think this town was kind of spoiled on baseball w The Big Red Machine. Honestly, that will probably never happen again.

But this team can compete I think. They have some guys (BP, Chapman)that are fun to watch. I think management has made a legit effort to build a team and do it the right way without jacking up prices and pricing average fans out.

Fans have a different perspective than management and there should almost always be a healthy amount of criticism/questioning from fans, but the way this town rags on the Reds and gives the bungholes so much benefit of the doubt -- I'll never understand it.
All you hear anymore is the brownHole suddenly "got it" and handed over control now. The drafts are supposedly better and they are finally ready to compete now w the stoolers and that's good enough for fans. With the Reds it's they aren't serious about contending until Dusty is fired (nevermind they actually paid a lot to get him) and they'll never compete for a World Series and that's the only true measure of success.

Maybe fans just don't take into account that competing w the Yankees is a lot harder than competing w the stoolers. The NFL actually makes it almost impressive to suck for as long as the brownHole has, they make such a concerted effort to have parity. The drafts are important so any team can hit the lotto after one season of sucking. MLB lets franchises languish for decades and they don't give a fuch. The drafts are a crap shoot that don't help for years and teams are built through FA. There is no cap, so The Big Red Machines of today happen to be in places like NY or Dallas.

No, I think the bungs are much more deserving of my scorn and ridicule these days. It's a shame, I like the NFL more actually, but I don't feel vested in any particular team anymore. My NFL fan soul died 3 or 4 seasons back.

(Login CIN-C-STAR)

No score for this post
July 19 2012, 12:44 PM 

Exhibit A: Bengals selling out games already, Reds hoping slight uptick in attendance will continue.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120718/SPT02/307180106/Bengals-nearing-sellouts?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120718/SPT04/307180105/But-can-we-keep-those-Reds-seats-filled-?odyssey=mod|mostview

Bengals have done next to nothing this year to improve am I right? I haven't followed as closely as in recent years but I don't recall a single "wow!" move. I do recall using our first rd. pick on an offensive guard with a history of injuries that is supposed to be a great run blocker. yawn. I know we lost Ced. Not sure who are second WR is offhand. Don't recall any major singings or moves.

The Reds on the other hand, per the above article, budget themselves to break even, and if more fans than expected show up the money goes into a pool for roster upgrades. More fans means a better product, and ownership runs the team with the aim of winning. The brownHole by contrast takes home tens of millions of dollars every year regardless if any fans show up. Despite generous revenue sharing he says "F you!' to fans by refusing to hire a GM and cutting corners every step of the way to maximize profits. He refuses to fund a HoF at the stadium or invest anything in improving fan experience.

So of course, fans rush out to buy Bengals tickets, grumble and complain about the Reds, and life goes on in Cincinnati.

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
July 19 2012, 5:58 PM 

I heard the Sean Casey rumor, I hope its just a rumor, sounds like a Mike Brown rumor

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
July 22 2012, 2:20 PM 

I am thinking about following these guys again.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
July 22 2012, 2:47 PM 

They are playing well.

In their last 22 series, they should easily take 14 of them.
They have 8 tough series with: Pirates (twice) Cardinals (Twice), the Dodgers (Once) and Arizona and I think, the Mets.
The majority of the series remaining are with the Astros, Cubbies, Miami, Philly, Milwaukee, San Diego and Colorado.

Keep playing well and they should get into the playoffs.

Last 6 games are against the Pirates and the Cardinals.
That will likely decide it.

This message has been edited by broncobux from IP address 70.173.215.141 on Jul 22, 2012 2:48 PM

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
July 22 2012, 3:41 PM 

Pirates/Reds is such a classic...hope that this race goes down to the wire!

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Management was stupid

No score for this post
July 22 2012, 6:37 PM 

In bringing in the IDIOT Baker. Get rid of him. Find a real manager...and the Reds may have a real shot.

With this guy--NO SHOT.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 23 2012, 7:29 AM 

It's a good thing they had a favorable schedule with Votto going down. In roughly 3 weeks he will be back and it looks like the Reds are capable of treading water until that time. I'm surprised that Pitt is hanging tough but we'll see how that holds up.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
July 23 2012, 9:27 AM 

Falc,

Im not a big Dusty fan.
However, as I have always said, he will get you to the playoffs, but no World Series win.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 23 2012, 10:17 AM 

"Last 6 games are against the Pirates and the Cardinals. "

As they say in show biz - they save the best for last. Could go down to the last out. As far as Baker - is he similar to Lewis - get in the playoff but not much else?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 5:31 AM 

The Reds have won 10 games in a row and the entire topic of discussion on Mike and Mike in the Morning is about Tim Tebow. The only sports site more glaringly "All New York All the Time" is "The Sporting News."

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 6:07 AM 

The Reds doing this without Votto is simply incredible. Sure, they are hot, and they will lose sometime soon, but they are on an unbelievable tear right now.

ESPN is ridiculous. Tim Tebow, Hope Solo, USA Men's hoops. I'll be happy if they devote more than 1 minute total to NL Central highlights in today's show. Reds won again, Pirates lost, and the Cubs beat the Cards on a walkoff.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 9:21 AM 

The Pirates went 7-3 in the ladt 10 games and still lost 3 games behind the Reds. LMAO!

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 10:14 AM 

Wyche, what were you thinking, ESPN is bad enough, but to do it when the Yankees and Red Sox are playing? I remember when the Reds score 9 runs in their last two at bats, capped by a walk off grand slam by Dunn in the ninth to put the Reds in a tie for first. I go to ESPN, doh! and their feature story was the Yanks and the Mets 2-0 game.

Bronco, the Reds were 1 game in first, then went 17-2 and only managed to be climb to three games ahead.

This message has been edited by HomerSaysDoh from IP address 64.132.166.77 on Jul 30, 2012 10:25 AM
This message has been edited by HomerSaysDoh from IP address 64.132.166.77 on Jul 30, 2012 10:24 AM
This message has been edited by HomerSaysDoh from IP address 64.132.166.77 on Jul 30, 2012 10:15 AM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 1:33 PM 

Right now the Reds are playing championship ball without Votto and with a favorable schedule. Reds, Nats and Yanks are tied for having the best record in baseball and it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up.

bronco
(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 3:23 PM 

And ESPN only cares about the Yankees and Red Sox....

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 4:18 PM 

The networks always want big market teams like the Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers etc. It's all about eyeballs and they (networks) know no one gives a rats a$$ about teams like the Reds. Years ago Joe Garagiola said Cincinnati was a one horse town in a disparagingly manner.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 5:27 PM 

Oh I know.

I just make a comment so as to dissuade you from viewing their channel.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Prove you wrong

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 6:03 PM 

"The networks always want big market teams like the Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers etc."

Oh I dunno. I think enough people care about the DEVIL Rays....Just sayin'.

And if you haven't noticed, the Reds have a great marketing campaign going on right now. Everyone's wearing a Reds Hat (I know it has nothing to do with the Baseball Organization--but all about being HOMEY G-STRING GANSTA).

I really wanna go up to one of these phags and ask "name me one Red Player" or "Tell me one thing about the Reds" or "Who manages the Reds"....whatever.

Again--just sayin.

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 98.238.185.194 on Jul 30, 2012 6:05 PM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 6:22 PM 

All that aside - if the Reds continue at this level barring injuries expect them to go deep in the playoffs. Also in about a month the rosters get expanded to 40 so that will be a big help as we have some good players down on the farm. I haven't felt this good about a Cincinnati team (except the football Bearcats) in some time.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

Re: Prove you wrong

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 6:37 PM 

Bloods consider the bright red 'C' a bitch slap to the Crips

Not everyone who wears a Reds cap is a Blood. Rapper Lil Wayne has made the hat (red with a white 'C') popular. He wears it as a tribute to his son who was born in Cincinnati. The Reds baseball cap is the third highest selling hat on the market.

http://www.yardbarker.com/blog/ihatelupica/article/gangstas_using_cincinnati_reds_caps_for_nyc_court_intimidation/3692872

lol, next time I am in Compton, I'll wear my Reds cap with my Klan robe.

This message has been edited by HomerSaysDoh from IP address 74.215.241.55 on Jul 30, 2012 6:47 PM

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 7:52 PM 

Looks like Reds and Pirates both heading for losses tonight.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 8:02 PM 

And Homey,

I've been watching more MLB Quickpitch than ever before with all of the awesome races going on. I am more into baseball this season maybe at the most intense level I've been at since before the 1994 strike. However I gave ESPN a chance this morning b/c of the Olympics...boy was I wrong.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

I could be wrong....but:

No score for this post
July 30 2012, 9:00 PM 

http://www.yardbarker.com/blog/ihatelupica/article/gangstas_using_cincinnati_reds_caps_for_nyc_court_intimidation/3692872

Two things:

1. This is probably NOT the kind of publicity the club wants. Call me crazy....

2. That "unearthly" groan you just heard was the last airbubble coming out of Marge Schott's corpse as she rolled over in her grave by knowing this. LOL

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 98.238.185.194 on Jul 30, 2012 9:00 PM

(Login broncobux)

Re: I could be wrong....but:

No score for this post
July 31 2012, 9:53 AM 

Ok, how do you propose the Club "fixes" this?

LOL

(Login CIN-C-STAR)

Re: I could be wrong....but:

No score for this post
July 31 2012, 2:14 PM 

Who cares? It's not like the club has endorsed gang banging or drug dealing, it just so happens that the team name starts with a 'C' and the colors are red. It's always been that way, since well before these gangs even existed.

Frankly as long as it brings in more revenue to help the team improve I could care less. It's just a hat.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

OMG!!!!

No score for this post
July 31 2012, 2:21 PM 

I totally agree.

But I LOL'ed when I saw your last post, Bronco. LMAO. Good one.

I know it's a $25 dollar hat for fitted at Lids--but 3rd in the league in $ale$? Gotta count for something.

Cin-C's right. Do nothing. Just be "concerned". haha.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
August 1 2012, 9:29 AM 

Anyone have any comments on Broxton their new setup man? AT 6'4 and 300 lbs he looks out of shape. Was Jocketty grasping for straws at the midnight hour when he realized a good leadoff man wasn't there and he had to do something?

(Login CIN-C-STAR)

No score for this post
August 1 2012, 6:20 PM 

I think it's a good move. There starting rotation is solid but not dominant, recent run of success aside. They will regress to the mean at some point. Cueto is the only ace imo.

So why not get a guy who can come in and throw an inning or two of shutout ball? Couldn't hurt in the playoffs and allows Dusty to give the starters a little less slack.

They didn't give up anything too significant imo. And as Dusty said, 'Who knows what's going to happen?' If there is an injury this also gives them some more flexibility.

The weight is a bit concerning but he's been effective all year pitching at this weight, not like he just packed it all on in the last two weeks. Sabatthia was effective for years and looked overweight. Remember David Wells? Guy was fat and (allegedly) drunk when he pitched a perfect game. It's not like pitchers are world-class athletes.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
August 2 2012, 4:46 AM 

Leadoff double and you try to bunt him to third and the pitcher is not batting?

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
August 2 2012, 6:55 PM 

"Leadoff double and you try to bunt him to third and the pitcher is not batting?"

Dusty drives me crazy with some of his bizarre moves at times but at this point its really hard to criticize his overall job this season, however if this team doesn't make a run in the playoffs I will gladly wish him goodbye

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

With the "help" of Dusty

No score for this post
August 3 2012, 5:26 PM 

Man, you guys need to relax. With Baker as the manager, I feel the Reds will start dropping off anytime now.

BTW--when did the f*cking "lowly" Pirates get good?!?!?!?!?!? Tells you how much I pay attention to baseball now.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

Re: With the "help" of Dusty

No score for this post
August 3 2012, 6:55 PM 

The Pirates hung in there last year but then fell off in August. It was that infamous safe call at home that did them in.

Finally, espn.com had the Reds as their top stories, it got to the point they couldn't ignore them anymore.

theydey
(Login theydey)

Re: With the "help" of Dusty

No score for this post
August 3 2012, 8:46 PM 

So who here is going to bid on Marty's hair?

BownAssClown
(Login BrownBiatch)

What Hair?

No score for this post
August 3 2012, 9:15 PM 

Baahaahaaaahaaaaa!

[linked image]

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
August 4 2012, 3:26 AM 

Slaps for the haircut! Btw I heard Murf bid on the hair.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 10:15 AM 

4 game losing streak. Ugh.

Maybe we can sacrifice the Cubbies.
The old "Slump-buster".

This message has been edited by broncobux from IP address 24.234.30.172 on Aug 9, 2012 11:45 AM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
August 9 2012, 2:20 PM 

Their pitching wasn't bad for the last 2 games but their hitting went back to what it was in April. The lack of Votto may be catching up with them.

theydey
(Login theydey)

No score for this post
August 18 2012, 5:13 AM 

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to get playoff tickets?

(Login bengalbear)

Performance to date

No score for this post
August 22 2012, 6:51 PM 

H@ll of a performance for the Phillies series - we have clinched a split with what I consider a good team on the road. Impressive performance without Votto.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CIN-C-STAR)

Re: Performance to date

No score for this post
August 22 2012, 7:25 PM 

The Reds have been not only on an amazing tear, but one of the most fun teams in baseball to watch.

Of course I'd feel better about the team winning 10-0 every night, but as long as they keep winning doesn't matter to me whether it's by a single run or not. Was not expecting a gem on the road from Arroyo tonight (or ever for that matter) and Frazier homering in the 8th last night only for the bullpen to blow it only to have Cozart homer in the 9th and Chapman turn the lights out with a man on third... what a freakin' game!

First it was they would collapse without Votto, then it was they will collapse when the schedule gets tougher, now what do the naysayers say? They won or at least split series' with the 'Rats and Philly without Votto, not bad. Will they collapse when Votto comes back? Lol.

Meanwhile, run out and buy up those Bungle tickets. I hear they might be mediocre this season (yawn).

murf
(Login murf129)

Re: Performance to date

No score for this post
August 23 2012, 4:16 AM 

If Fraizer is not ROY, then the award is garbage.
I would even toss in Fraizer with Phillips as legit MVP names.

Now, can someone please tell me why Dusty sent this guy down to AAA and kept that hack?

When the best player on the team returns, you are going to have one of the best teams in baseball.
Dusty can't even screw this up....(hoping)

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
August 23 2012, 7:31 AM 

Right now with Votto out they have the 2nd best record in baseball. I think they will wait until Sept 1st when they expand the rosters to 40 to bring him back - after that I don't see too many teams beating this team.

It's hard to think about the bungs at this point with the Reds doing so well. This town has basically been a baseball town anyway with the Bungs as an afterthought and it looks to be moving back in that direction.

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 65.27.233.7 on Aug 23, 2012 2:02 PM

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
August 26 2012, 5:30 PM 

This message has been edited by HomerSaysDoh from IP address 74.215.241.55 on Sep 4, 2012 7:26 PM

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
September 4 2012, 7:27 PM 

If anyone has followed this season, Jay Bruce is the MVP. So many big hits throughout the year.

(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
September 5 2012, 10:46 AM 

Down 6-0 to the Phillies right now.

So far a crappy businessman's special.

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 5 2012, 6:20 PM 

"This town has basically been a baseball town anyway with the Bungs as an afterthought"

This hasn't been a baseball town since the 70s

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

OldSchooler
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Storm you forgot one

No score for this post
September 5 2012, 7:42 PM 

1990. You know--the year when the Reds SWEPT the Bashroid Brothers. The years when McGwire learned how to effectively inject Roids from Canseco.....

Armstrong, Dibble, Myers--they were the f*cking men!!!!

Ahhhh the good ole days.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 5 2012, 8:48 PM 

"This hasn't been a baseball town since the 70s"

This town hasn't exactly been a football town either - how many rings do the Bungs have? This town has been through some very lean years since the mid 90's after Marge in her infinite wisdom decided to cut back the farm system which is the life blood of teams like the Reds. Slowly but surely we are recovering and this town will become a baseball town once again if it isn't already. What are the alternatives - the Bungs??? Please.

Dave
(Login DaveinWV)

No score for this post
September 6 2012, 4:01 PM 

It would be great to watch them play, but apparently FOX sports ups the price if your team is worth a sh*t. So I get the lovely boxing match of 2 people who could die tommorow and I would not care. Thank you media, you serve us well. God I need a punching bag......

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Clinched playoff

No score for this post
September 20 2012, 9:01 PM 

Here we are wasting our time on politics and we have a crown jewel under our very eyes - the only major pro franchise in this town that has won any championship at all. We need to give these people their due for performing in this championship challenged town. Good way to celebrate Octoberfest.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

Re: Clinched playoff

No score for this post
September 21 2012, 7:24 PM 

They svck, there I said. Team can't score. They'll get the division by default.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Division Champs!

No score for this post
September 22 2012, 4:10 PM 

Job well done. 1st team in baseball to clinch a division. It might not seem like much to many but for a town that has gone 22 years w/o a title I'll take anything acknowledging this is only step 1. Beats a wild card spot for sure.

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 65.27.233.7 on Sep 22, 2012 4:12 PM
This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 65.27.233.7 on Sep 22, 2012 4:11 PM

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

Re: Division Champs!

No score for this post
September 22 2012, 5:24 PM 

I logged on to ESPN, front headline...Yankees win.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login CIN-C-STAR)

Re: Division Champs!

No score for this post
September 22 2012, 6:45 PM 

They have an above average rotation, great bullpen and great defense. Offense is a problem, as everyone knows.

But to say they suck? Second best record in baseball says otherwise. They might struggle in the playoffs, we will see, but isn't it possible that fans overvalue offense because that's what they want to see?

Either way, they are young and I only view this season as something to build on. They can and should get better. I see a four year window here to compete for a championship, at least. The Reds have built a contender the right way, and if the fans would support them like they should they could add even more pieces.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 22 2012, 10:13 PM 

There are a lot of teams that have won rings with pitching and defense. Good pitching usually stops good hitting - we'll see how far this takes us. The Reds are better than they were in 2010.

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 23 2012, 9:32 AM 

"This town hasn't exactly been a football town either"

Sure it has, the Bengals have averaged 50,000+ a game during some of the worst attempts at fielding a football team, also if you listen to sports radio all the calls and conversation are football related, the Reds have won Championships in the past and have an owner that is committed to winning and struggles to have decent attendance.

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 23 2012, 9:19 PM 

You have to cut them a little slack here - remember they were bungalize in their play and had many years of $hitty ball - they are beginning to get it back - not a bad year attendance wise.

Current Topic - How About Them Reds!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return