<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Prometheus

June 16 2012 at 12:29 AM
No score for this post

OldSchoolerFan  (Login oldschoolerfan)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 98.238.185.194

Anybody seen this yet? Not bad. I give it an 8.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

Re: Prometheus

No score for this post
June 16 2012, 4:55 AM 

It looked like it had gore, Alien style. Just can't stomach that in my old age.

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

No score for this post
June 16 2012, 5:27 AM 

Excellent Big Old Blockbuster. If you are a fan of the original Alien (and even better Aliens...after that the whole franchise rather went down hill*) then you'll enjoy it. But don't worry Homey not much gore (not on the Alien/s scale for that) but a couple of moments will make you jump.

No spoilers, but once again the robot gets most of the good lines and is the most interesting character.

However I would say that when it ended it did seem to leave a few to many questions and so it is set up for at least one, maybe two sequels, or prequels. Whatever they are calling them these days, I can't keep up.

I do wish they could just make a film that won't need another one or two films to tie it all up. As in, that's it, the end! No waiting a year for the next film, which of course only leaves you asking more questions that you have to wait another year for...and so on! It's like going to McD asking for a Big Mac and getting just a bun. You are then told to come back tomorrow for the burger, and the day after for the gherkin!!!

9/10.

*Hmmm....a franchise once being pretty decent, but then going down hill, only in it for the money, paying over the odds for dreadful story lines, wooden actors and boring special effects that you've seen before and where they one used to excite you now they just make you feel a bit sick....remind you of anything???

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

I liked the main character chick

No score for this post
June 16 2012, 2:00 PM 

...but I liked the Engineer better. I was secretly cheering on the Engineer to kill everybody. LOL!!!

But I guess he wasn't that smart or he would have used his strength to close the door on the Alien. wink.gif

Three things that disappointed me:

1. The script was absolutely horrible.
2. The Engineers for as muscular, advanced, and as intelligent as they were--were real pussies.
3. How Charlize Theron's character dies.

Else....cool movie--and that landing was THE most beautiful sci-fi planet landings I've seen. Ridley as usual did not disappoint on the eye candy!!!!

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

Re: I liked the main character chick

No score for this post
June 16 2012, 2:56 PM 

so there are ta ta's huh?

(Login psychostats)
MikeBrownSucks.com Forum Moderator

No score for this post
June 16 2012, 5:35 PM 

I have not seen the movie yet, but from the reviews, it seems to built around a very old Lovecraftian theme.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Theosophists have guessed at the awesome grandeur of the cosmic cycle wherein our world and human race form transient incidents. They have hinted at strange survivals in terms which would freeze the blood if not masked by a bland optimism. But it is not from them that there came the single glimpse of forbidden aeons which chills me when I think of it and maddens me when I dream of it. ...

from The Call of Cthulhu, by HP Lovecraft

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.asp

So if we kind-of know where it's going already, maybe there's no need to eagerly anticipate the sequel(s). I still want to see it, though.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Sort of

No score for this post
June 17 2012, 2:39 AM 

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

One thing's for sure about the movie--don't go places that are above your intellect. Don't try to understand it. Just leave it the f*ck alone--or it will kill you. Another thing about the movie though that could be the contradiction of this thought--if you don't go there and be proactive about a problem--eventually, it will come to you--and annihilate you and your species.

Also, Psycho--about this movie, there are things that are let's say evolution vs. the religious approach. Did we evolve? Or did the big bang theory take place because someone else help it along?

The "unexplained answers" are actually EXPLAINED in this movie. You just have to look for it. Take my advice--and do your bathroom break BEFORE the movie begins. You can't miss anything or you will miss the message(s). So don't take your flask or drink too much coke--it is a bit rough--because it is a long one (I think 2.5 hours--and I had to pee 10 minutes in).

Good movie overall--but like the android says "big things start with small beginnings". I think it's going to be a start of a wonderful new franchise of the evolution of a species--and possibly a death of another one.

The new Ripley (Weaver) is a decent start too. Hopefully, she sticks out the entire thing. Ridley says he's doing another 2 movies to go along with this one. I hope he does. They say that Prequels have no purpose. This one does.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login Drawon3rdand30)

Re: Sort of

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 1:35 PM 

I am a biologist and here is an alien creature. It looks like a cobra, but it has had millions of years of an evolutionary head-start.

I shall take my helmet off and entice it to touch me.

Also, there is a zombie at our back door-we better let him in!

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who undertsand binary, and those who do not.

(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 4:44 PM 

Well, there goes any desire I had to see it. Maybe I'll catch it on cable someday.

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 6:53 PM 

Hey Synonymous, I thought exactly the same thing. Weren't those two complaining about being left alone, all scared and then that happened. If the snakeything had been all pink, furry with big blue eyes then maybe...but it wasn't, so run!

Plus (as we are giving away small plot lines) how do you go about decontaminating a huge loading bay area...oh yeah with a portable flame thrower...what!!!! Just stupid.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

I dunno

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 7:31 PM 

"I am a biologist and here is an alien creature. It looks like a cobra, but it has had millions of years of an evolutionary head-start."

I think it evolved rather quickly. In what--a couple of hours, it went from worm, to snake, to pre-alien.

Here's a mind-bender for ya, Draw--how about the engineers ceased their evolution every time they tried to evolve? It was the engineers that had all the tech. The creatures are pure--errrrrr---"nature"?

They didn't have the time because the engineers ceased it from happening. However, not even the "eggs" could contain the creatures. It was such a horrible weapon that everytime the engineers thought it was "contained"--the creatures seeped out?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

Re: I dunno

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 8:24 PM 

And in the end, Harry Potter had to die in order to kill Voldermort because a part of Voldermort lived inside him.....

That'll save you from having to watch the last episode of that movie too Psycho. Sorreeeeee...

(Login takinitintherear)

Re: I dunno

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 8:32 PM 

Anybody reading 50 Shades of Grey........Murf?

T

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Anybody reading this book:

No score for this post
June 19 2012, 10:19 PM 

Game of Thrones?

Talk about a dark f*cking book! Sheesus.

Just read 'Hunger Games'. That was a real decent book. I understand what the hoopla was all about. I wonder how much they f*cked it up in Hollywood.

But overall, Prometheus--sure--the evolution is uhhhhhh--hmmmmmm.....but still a decent movie. Just let it entertain you--with a bit of thought required. wink.gif

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

Book Corner

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 4:16 AM 

JB - What Harry Potter dies!!!! Actually, I don't care, I haven't seen any of those films....am I the only person not to have done so?

Hunger Games trilogy is ok. Finished the third book today. I am not sure I can really make my mind up about the books. I mostly enjoyed them. I shall not spoil the plots of Catching Fire and Mockingjay, but I would say that the storyline gets a bit darker and interesting, plus there are enough twists and turns to keep the pages turning. But at times they both were a bit of slog to get through, but worth it in the end.

I am now going to re-read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

And...has MBS morphed into a Book and Film review site now?

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Book Corner

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 5:35 PM 

Have to talk about something now that the Bungs look promising. Call us the MBS Coffee Klatch.

I remember back in High School reading Star Wars paperback fiction. Found out about Darth Vader being Luke's father waaaay before most folks. But it seemed so stupid that I completely forgot about the plotline, only to be surprised again when the 3rd movie came out. That franchise was fun, but only worth three films. If George Lucas comes out with yet another spinoff, I think I'll scream.

Never read or watched any Harry Potter. I completely miss every reference thrown around here by you big bunch of nerds... happy.gif

BTW, I can deal with a few movie spoilers. It's the stupidity of the scene that Draw described which bothered me. Prometheus is supposed to be "smart" SciFi.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

UK

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 11:11 PM 

"I am now going to re-read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman."

I'm being lazy--but what's that about?

BTW--did I mention you guys make one hell of an ale? Samuel Smith, Wychwood Brewery, and Newcastle kick freakin' azz!!!!!

You guys even give the Germans a run for their money. wink.gif

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

Beer and Books

No score for this post
June 22 2012, 9:22 PM 

Classic Sci-Fi. Not my words, but...'The Forever War (1974) is a science fiction novel by American author Joe Haldeman, telling the contemplative story of soldiers fighting an interstellar war between humanity and the enigmatic Tauran species. Its exploration of the inhumanity of war and of bureaucracy, and of the psychological effects resulting from the time dilation of space travel (a soldier returns home after centuries away), won the Nebula Award in 1975, and the Hugo and the Locus awards in 1976'.

The author, in part, say this "It's about Vietnam because that's the war the author was in. But it's mainly about war, about soldiers, and about the reasons we think we need them" He concludes "The dates in the book are now kind of funny; most people realise we didn't get into an interstellar war in 1996...but we decided to leave it that way, in spite of the obvious anachronisms. Think of it as a parallel universe. But maybe it's the real one, and we're in a dream". See that last bit is the sort of quote you want about a sci-fi book! If you like sci-fi and you like space opera then this is a great read.

Now, beers. Blimey, where to start? Yep, us Brits do like our "warm beers" which are not really lagers like the Germans. The three you mention are good. A pub crawl around Henley or any Northern town will open your eyes to all manner of odd beers. Unfortunately I am out of the country at present, and the local beers are just rubbish!

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

UK: Your take on major American Beers

No score for this post
June 24 2012, 2:03 AM 

Yo UK--what is your take on Buttwiper--errrrrrr Budweiser--Busch or Coors???

LOL--Can't wait to hear this response.

If it's anything what I think it's going to be (my thoughts exactly, I believe)--then I'm going to LMAO.

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

Re: UK: Your take on major American Beers

No score for this post
June 24 2012, 5:30 AM 

Hmmm, well let's see.

Budweiser. I can only drink this if:

1) I am watching American Sport (it just seems right) and I have enough pizza to soak it up.

2) the Bud has to be bottled (the canned stuff is like drinking gnats p155...of course now you are wandering how I know...well I've drunk Coors and if you look on label, in the ingredients you will notice, in very small writing....)

3) it has to be very cold

4) there isn't anything else available. Actually, to be fair, I don't mind Bud. The others I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (hope you guys know what one of them is).

So no, I don't drink many or much American lagers. And while we are on this subject. Coors, I do not need a fancy label to tell me it's cold!

I do think (generalisation alert) that only Brits know the difference between Lager and Beer. You have to remember, your rite of passage maybe to go into the woods and shoot an Elk, ours is being taken to the local Pub on a wet midweek night and being forced to drink a pint of warm brown liquid with bits floating at the bottom, a pint of something that is stronger than anything else you had been able to illicitly drink to date, so much so that after three sips you can't feel your ears and the chewy bits are now making you feel like you've eaten half a badger! And of course you have to like it other wise you are just a big girl. So you have three more pints, realising that the last one had much more chewy bits in the bottom....and....you are hooked for life. How on earth can I start to the think a "cool lite refreshing ice cold low alcoholic fizzy drink looking far to much like champagne" could be anything like my beloved warm English Ale.

But I do remember in Cincy I drank at a place called Rock Bottom Brewery and they brewed their own beers & lagers, and they did a good job. Got far to drunk with two Bengals fans and, oddly, a Browns fan...but that was probably because we ended up drinking something red and sweet with the word "bomb" in it's name. Anyone know if it still there? It was in the square with the lady water fountain (which just sounds rude!).

So in conclusion. The next World Cup, or Olympics, or a NASCAR racing team are not going to be sponsored by Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin. And long may that be the case. But if it were, the World would be a funnier place for it....check out www.brakspear.co.uk/our_beer/ and see what you would like the next NASCAR Racing Team to be called...I vote the for Rusty Good Ol Boy to riding laps round Daytona in a car liveried as Novembers Seasonal beer.

CHEERS.

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

No score for this post
June 24 2012, 5:36 AM 

Sorry. One day I will learn how to do one of them fancy underlined in blue links to a website. For now you'll just have to cut & paste.

(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
June 24 2012, 7:50 PM 

You just need an " http:// " in front of it, UK, like this:  http://ukbengal.com/britbeers/arenice/whentheyarenot/toodamnhoppy

~~~~~

The Forever War (1974) is a science fiction novel by American author Joe Haldeman, telling the contemplative story ...

I haven't read much ScFi since high school, but I remember Haldeman and his "collage style" of writing. The reader gets no up-front indication as to whether a scene is a flashback, a flash-forward, or a linear continuation from the prior chapter. One has to piece it all together, and hopefully you have your bearings by the time the story rolls to the conclusion. Never could see the big payoff for feeling disoriented through most of a novel.

Haldeman, BTW, received encouragement from the eccentric Harlan Ellison, who among other things was compulsively litigious. You'll recall that Ellison received bogus credit for inspiring the original Terminator movie, claiming that it was based on a couple of his TV scripts.

But did Ellison borrow liberally for his scripts? Listen to these old time radio shows the next time you walk the elliptical trainer. Then re-watch the classic Star Trek episode The City on the Edge of Forever.

The Lost Race
archive.org/download/Dimension-X/Dimx_e007_TheLostRace.mp3

Target One
archive.org/download/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles/XMinusOne57-12-26123TargetOne.mp3

Combine some of the plot elements, make some changes, and there you go. Well, it makes more sense than James Cameron borrowing from Ellison.

Edit -- To prevent both MP3's from auto-starting, I had to take out the http:// ... happy.gif

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)

No score for this post
June 25 2012, 5:05 AM 

Psycho. First, thanks for the help.

Can't say I found, or am finding second time around, The Forever War to be disorientated. But admittedly it is "Chewing Gum for the Brain" style of Sci-fi. There is something odd about reading sci-fi that was written 30+ years ago.

There is plenty of deep complicated Sci-fi and to be honest I am not in the mood or have the time to try and read any of that at the moment. For example, try reading The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks...blimey, you better take a month off work and take the phone of the hook. A truly incredible book which I ploughed through on a long holiday, and to be honest it was just a slog and it wasn't enjoyable!! Undoubtedly a clever book. Maybe I'm just no cerebral enough for this type of sci-fi. And as I am not reading The Forever War to pass an exam, but rather just for the enjoyment factor, then it ticks that box.

I would challenge anyone to read a truly brilliant book. It is The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, written by Douglas Adams (out of the Monty Python mould). The book has cult status in the UK. Very funny, suitably politically incorrect, with every facet of society being lampooned.

(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
June 26 2012, 10:33 PM 

I don't know if I've even read any SciFi that qualifies as deep and complicated. Maybe the dull and sonorous Dune novels which were only a trilogy back then. You might say they brought on the Sandman for me, LOL. I went for pure fun after that, with my favorites being the Tschai novels by Jack Vance. Simple adventure tales that managed to hit my then-teenage sweet spot.

With all the good I keep hearing about it, maybe it's finally time to read Hitchhiker's Guide.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

UK--more on drinking

No score for this post
June 30 2012, 4:57 PM 

I just went to a local SuperMarket--and saw that they had Samuel Smith's "Brown" and "Oatmeal Stout". Jesus--what a great beer selection past the Buttwiper and Adolph's Sh*t Brew. If I had a deeper budget--I would have bought more of that great English Beer!!!!

Just awesome. Kudos to you guys for making an awesome beer!

BTW--any more of you people watch this amazing film yet? Seems like the Prometheus "Hoopla" came and went like a fart in the car. I guess nobody appreciates a decent Sci-Fi anymore?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
October 10 2012, 7:41 PM 

I just watched this movie on DirectTV. Pretty good sci-fi stuff. I figured out that everyone who deep throats the giant worm DIES! But cosmologically, I don'y believe you can create any dimension or world that you yourself are a product of. I believe all life must be created from outside our cocoon. In other words the known universe. Anyone have thoughts?

This might become a cult film like Full Metal Jacket or Pulp Fiction.

(Login CIN-C-STAR)

No score for this post
October 10 2012, 8:22 PM 

UK,

A lager is brewed with a different kind of yeast, harvested from a cave or cave-like conditions, I believe wink.gif

Yes, Rock Bottom Brewery is indeed still there. Craft breweries like them are becoming quite popular in the states, and have actually been one of the fastest growing industries over the past decade. We don't all drink mass-produced swill (not that there is anything wrong with that, it certainly fits the budget happy.gif

Oddly, home brewing was illegal until Carter was in office. Allowing people to brew their own has slowly sparked an interest in this country that's starting to take off. I myself have brewed a few times, including an English brown ale. Quite tasty, and full of those bits you mentioned.

And yes, the can that tells you it is cold is like something out of Idiocracy (great American movie if you haven't seen it). Just pick up the can moron!

OldSchool,

Samuel Smith's "nut brown" ale, huh huh huh, is delicious.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Oddly enough

No score for this post
October 10 2012, 10:45 PM 

And UK can probably agree with me--but pretty much anything Samuel Smith's Label is high quality stuff. If you want a real surprise--try Smith's Apricot or Strawberry. I couldn't believe it either because the stuff that Americans try to make is pure pisswater. Not this stuff. Good sh*t.....AND I USUALLY HATE FRUITY SH*T IN MY BEER. Also, try the Oatmeal Stout--it's my fav right now.

JB--since the "comeback" of Prometheus (because of it's DVD/Blue Ray Release) I've been thinking about the evolution of the alien. More specifically--the evolution of the face hugger. The 1st type (failure), the face hugger was a type of "snake". This was unadaptable because it killed it's host. Then the 2nd adaptation was the face hugger for the Engineers. However, the species of Xenomorph was so adaptable, they knew that the Engineers were too smart to return to the planet or the Engineers became extinct. So their next prey or predator (you take your pick here--but a human without a BMF gun is indeed PREY to an alien) is humans. The facehugger DOES NOT HAVE TO BE AS BIG AS THE ONE FOR THE ENGINEER because it would probably kill the normal human. So it improvised itself again into the facehugger we all know and get creeped out about in the 1st Alien and thereafter. The alien KNEW from our own anatomy (from being inside the new Ripley, I'm figuring) how big the facehugger had to be.

Just weird--but digest that one and come up with you own theory. The movie IS deeper than everybody perceives. You have to look into more than just Charlize Theron getting rolled by a spaceship. You have to look beyond it.

Decent Sci-Fi overall. But I want to see it again to notice more things. It may not be a "cult" film like Pulp or Aliens--but it should have a huge following (if you can ignore the weak script).

Fulcher
(Login Fulcher-the-Vulture)

Re: Oddly enough

No score for this post
October 11 2012, 4:33 AM 

Great movie just watched it myself.

My Thoughts:

The Engineers created us, but it was by accident and not by choice. Over the years they let their mistake play out and set a trap for us when we became advanced enough to be a threat to them. They never intended to create us in their own image and realized one day we would come after them so made us a map to the the trap. The worm creature I think was a actual specious of that planet. The engineers manipulated that worm dna into a black goo that they would use to destroy their mistake which was us. Somehow though the Engineers got in over their head when they played with this creatures dna and it destroyed them before they had a chance to release this creature on us.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Fulter

No score for this post
October 11 2012, 11:14 PM 

Good point! When the Engineer "discovered the mistake" he killed the nearest human---and pulled off the atrocity's head!

Then abruptly headed to his chair to pilot his craft to Earth and make us very extinct. Humans are the thing that should not be. Not the aliens--but humans.

And the Engineer recognized humans as the biggest threat to the universe. Is it our contempt for nature? Our shear curiosity to discover and seek out?

No.

It's our brashness and cockiness that the Engineer hated. The human's representation was so bold to want to ask it's own creator "how and why" instead of being thankful for simply existing. WE SPOKE ON THEIR LEVEL.

Major mistake. Like the new Ripley said "We were so wrong". Yes, understatement.

You don't ask your creator those two questions or hell will await you. That or a facehugger. wink.gif

Current Topic - Prometheus
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return