<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Bad Andy

September 23 2013 at 7:45 AM
No score for this post

must be locked in the Lumina  (Login 72360)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 98.77.43.18

Andy Dalton continues to struggle mightily with the deep ball.How much is Andy?How much is the play
calling?At times he looks good when he makes quick decisions but the defenses
don't respect his arm or the long ball,they are playing their safeties tight on AJ and the underneath routes are tightly contested.I cringe everytime Dalton drops back and the ball isn't out
of his hand immediately.Might be time to introduce some packages featuring Josh Johnson like the coaches talked about.I don't know,your thought?Do the bumblers consider drafting a QB next year?Dont want that to happen but you cant keep playing Dalton if he cant pass the long ball,and don't want to waste a draft pick pick because they will need CB,LB,and OL help in the first round next year...Lumina

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
BMN
(Login bmncaper)

Re: Bad Andy

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 8:19 AM 

I'm not a big fan of "our QB doesn't have a rocket arm, we gotta get rid of him!" The guys with the sensibility and ability to read defenses, I've found, are actually much harder to come by.

What I notice with Dalton with a lot of his INTs is that he makes bad decisions that he's comfortable making because he trusts AJ that much. So while people notice it seeming to be underthrown, I notice that it was probably a tight spot to begin with but Andy would rather make a bad decision throwing it to AJ than do nothing at all.

BMN

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Re: *

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 9:11 AM 

It looks like he's slow to react to things. You have to be quick to do the reads and get rid of the ball quickly when there's nothing open. Plus he's not fast afoot. Another reason why I like athletic QB's.

Also lumina - you would have had a sh$t fit yesterday when the bungs lost a 14-0 lead and made all those turnovers - they looked like the bunglers of old at times.

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 65.27.233.7 on Sep 23, 2013 9:14 AM

must be locked in the Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 9:57 AM 

Your point taken BMN but I am questioning his deep ball not his "rocket arm".I think Dalton
has very good velocity on the short passes,the point being the defense knows this too and can
play their coverages to match.Right now it seems Andy isn't throwing the deep stuff at all and cant
stretch the defense to respect the long ball.I will absolutely give Andy credit on his football IQ
as he makes excellent decisions most of the time and that is indeed a more valuable tool so you are right there.Have to give the FO credit for the drafting,they have given Andy the weapons to be successful in the NFL and that will help.Hopefully Andy can be like Drew Brees is and make it the NFL on his intelligence,but he is a long way off on the deep ball and needs to be much more consistant for the bumblers to be able to utilize the weapons they have.Just saying......

PS-Watched the game yesterday and thought that for the first time in a long time Marvin Lewis didn't do anything stupid to mismanage the game.Give him credit for his challenge flag,but the stupid penalties and wasted time outs continue to mark his tenure in Cincinnati.He would and should have been fired a long time ago and would have anywhere else

~Lumina~

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 10:43 AM 

Dalton....

Ok, I have heard 3 or 4 people call radio shows and made comments on message boards about replacing Dalton with Johnson...

No offense to you Lumina, but give me a fuching break.
If you think Dalton is bad hitting 63-65% of his throws and hovering around 300 yard average, what on earth do you think you are going to watch with Johnson who has a career completion percentage of something stellar as 50%?
LMAO

The guy can run...
That will work for a game if Dalton gets injured, but if you have not noticed, the super hero athletic types have gone from instant hall of famers to fans booing them in a very short period of time.
Kaepernick/Vick/Griffin have not exactly looked unstoppable in recent weeks because the defense has figured them out already.

The Wildcat lasted how long?
This "read option" can be stopped by having intelligent players play the gaps and not chase.
Force the guy to play qb and see if he is good enough to spin the ball for 4 qtrs and put the defense on their heels.

Johnson is a generic version of these generic qb's

The Bengals offense is geared to timing.
Blocking is locked in on that timing.
Routes are locked into that timing.
Secondary routes are locked into that timing.
Replacing Dalton with a guy that attempts to run as soon as the ball hits his hands is going to make the entire offense look off.

Dalton is fine people.
Still needs work, and he is still a very young qb.

The Deep throws are driving me nuts, but that is correctable.
He gets rid of the ball too early on those plays.
Do you know how hard it is to out throw AJ Green?
The pop gun arm is just a stupid comment folks.
The guy has a pretty good arm and he is very accurate most of the time.

Gets jumpy at times and he makes mistakes, but talking about benching him for Johnson is flat out insane.

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

(Login 72360)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 11:01 AM 

None taken Murf and as I said,dont want them to replace Andy with Johnson,just want them
to use Johnson in some packages.Give the defenses something else to think about.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login broncobux)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 11:07 AM 

I have zero faith in Johnson.

Dalton needs to improve, but I would rather have Sanu in there for some Wildcat packages.
Johnson cant hit the broad side of a barn.

Why isn't Pac Man returning punts?

"Insert witty quotation here"

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 12:15 PM 

Dalton must improve without question.

He needs to improve in several areas...

Presnap reads are good but can be better.
Deep throw accuracy is horrible.
Worrying about AJ Green too much.

Can you imagine if Dalton was here with Chad?
That guy would be a head case after hearing Chad smack his gums about getting the ball.

Bronco....asked that question several times yesterday.
Sazenbacher if Jones is not available.
Tate sucks

Fulcher
(Login Fulcher-the-Vulture)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 5:04 PM 

I dont see Dalton as the Problem. I see the offensive cordinator and Marvin as the problem.

The first series Dalton marched down the field and the offense scored a touchdown. Then 12 seconds later they were up bye 14.

Now after that the offense came out and played clasic Marvin ball. The Packers and everyone else in league knows Marvin will look to run and short passing routes when the Bengals have the lead.

Then the Packers were up bye 16 30-14 and guess what the offense opened back up and Dalton drove the team for two more TD's.

Side note Dalton outplayed Aaron so maybe we can trade Johnson for Aaron cause they could have used him more than us Sunday happy.gif

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 5:48 PM 

The Bungs were short on corners and Adam Jones was playing through an injury, so it's no real surprise that he wasn't returning punts. But, yeah, give Sanzenbacher a shot.

Jay Gruden as OC still feels like heaven compared to all those years of Bob Bratkowski.

Dalton is a so-so quarterback who can be streaky-good. He also has a knack for winning. Maybe that equates to "pretty good". He plays well enough that we can imagine how successful he could be if only he were a little bit better.

Again, I'll take it after what we've been through.

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 5:57 PM 

LMAO

Good point Fulcher....

I have been saying forever.
Carson would move the ball up and down the field and then be forced to play conservative.
A two score lead and you know what you are going to be watching.

Playing to not lose for the rest of the game.
10 years of watching this folks...
Players have changed.
Coaches have Changed.

Scheme has been consistent since Carson got hurt in the playoff game.
Carson still managed to put up decent numbers and now Dalton is putting up decent numbers, but we went from Dillon to slow azz power back Rudi...to slow azz power back Benson...to slow azz power back Ellis since Giggles took over.

Now we have a real tailback.
A homerun hitter on any given carry or catch.
We have 2 huge tightends that can play...now that Gresham has some heat on him, he suddenly starts playing better.
We have if not the best, one of the best wideouts in the game.
We have 2 very good guys behind him.
We have an intelligent accurate qb that is getting better.
You have a top defense.

There is nothing to be scared of here people.
Play like you are losing by two scores for 4 qtrs.

Brady is awesome because he hates not scoring.
A punt is a bad thing to him....can you imagine him being forced to play under Giggles?
LOL

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 6:03 PM 

You can say all you want about the mistakes Andy has made and he's made his fair share but he has something that isn't taught and that's guts, leadership and moxy, the guy is a winner and until he stops progressing or becomes a loser any criticism is going to seem petty imo

I will take a QB that makes some mistakes but shrugs them off and finds a way to win over a flashy Carson Palmer type that looks great early in games then crumbles under pressure

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Brady

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 9:03 PM 

You have to remember Brady was the very last player drafted when he came out of college and NE took him. Belicik taught him the system and he ran with it. If Brady had landed with the Bungs he wouldn't be 1/10 th the player he is now and might be out of football selling insurance.

(Login 72360)

Re: Brady

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 1:51 PM 

How much more do you have to watch?Another awful performance from Bad Andy

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 2:15 PM 

It sure is looking like he hit his ceiling, doesn't it?

AMM
(Login antimikemike)

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 2:29 PM 

Poor man's Jon Kitna.

(Login 72360)

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 2:50 PM 

continues to have horrible accuracy with the deep ball and the defenses don't respect that throw.What I don't understand is how he was able to complete the deep balls to AJ before.Gruden is not even taking shots now.When was the last time you saw Marvin Jones on a go route?Its all dink and dunk crap and the defenses know it

murf
(Login murf129)

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 3:14 PM 

I say we trade him....

Then give Johnson a huge contract extension and build with him.

LMAO

He had a horrible day...that happens.
Blaming him for losing is typical in Cincinnati, so no reason to debate it.

As long as they have Giggles...they will be average at best.

dacow
(Login dacow)

Nope.

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 3:19 PM 

Can't win with Andy. Doesn't do enough well. Obvious now

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Nope.

No score for this post
September 29 2013, 3:33 PM 

After two years in the league, the defenses know all of Dalton's weaknesses. And the schedule is a lot more difficult this year. Hence, fewer lucky deep pass receptions.

And... maybe Dalton's focus all week in practice is... dink, dink, dinkity-dunk. Dinkity-dinkity dunkity-dunk-dunk. Da-dunk.

Sometimes it feels more like... plink, plink, plink.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 107.10.71.100 on Sep 29, 2013 3:47 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return