<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

LCD
(Login LCarpetronDookmarriott)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: *

No score for this post
May 27 2014, 3:23 AM 

At least they're not the Cubs.

What an unbelievable franchise that is. Large market, yet no championship since 1908 and no World Series game since 1945.

The 2003 meltdown will always be remembered by me. You could just sense the deep superstitions of the crowd percolating throughout the ballpark after Bartman's interference.

That's probably a big problem right there. Cubs owners know that fans expect them to lose anyway.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
May 27 2014, 8:44 PM 

This team is starting to remind me of how the Reds were back in 2008 and the 1st part of 2009. The Reds now are no longer even watchable and are now in 4th place.002 percentage points behind Pitt. This team only has a few good starting pitchers (not Bailey now) and only a few good relievers, very few good hitters and their defense now sucks. A rag tag of a team who fell faster than I thought and as of this writing are losing 5-0 to LA. This season got late early.

T
(Login takinitintherear)

No score for this post
May 28 2014, 7:52 AM 

We all saw the writing on the wall before the season how bad this team was going to be... They acquired no one and let Choo walk.

I hope they make some changes soon... This new brass management and not one to get cheap all of the sudden.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
May 28 2014, 12:23 PM 

Somewhere Dusty is smiling...addition by subtraction some thought???

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
May 28 2014, 7:03 PM 

What's bad now - of the two other teams in 4th place - the Mets and Padres - the Reds have the worst record now. At a .440 clip the Reds could finish the season 71 - 91. Another masterful performance by yet another Cincinnati team - Thank God for the Cyclones.

theydey
(no login)

No score for this post
May 28 2014, 7:45 PM 

Speaking of cheap, think how cheap the team will be next year!!

We have to face facts. The Reds ownership, albeit light years ahead of who replaced them, are still Cardinal left overs.

The Reds will always be their bitch.

T
(Login takinitintherear)

No score for this post
May 29 2014, 6:21 AM 

Look at the bright side ... We improve our draft selection.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
May 29 2014, 3:20 PM 

It's always "Wait till next year". That sounds like another team we all love. Has Jocketty been taking lessons from mikey? How much longer is there before pitchers and catchers report for 2015? Less than 9 months. I can hardly wait.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

The Reds are like smoking

No score for this post
May 31 2014, 1:37 AM 

There are safer alternatives out there:

http://sacramento.rivercats.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t105

This is a winning ballclub. A's AAA Club. Their minor league system is top-notch. Glad to have them in Sactown.

Would take them above the Queens (Kings) any f*cking day. Did I mention I hate the Queens? LOL

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

SheopleHerder

No score for this post
May 31 2014, 1:41 AM 

"At least they're not the Cubs.

What an unbelievable franchise that is. Large market, yet no championship since 1908 and no World Series game since 1945.

The 2003 meltdown will always be remembered by me. You could just sense the deep superstitions of the crowd percolating throughout the ballpark after Bartman's interference.

That's probably a big problem right there. Cubs owners know that fans expect them to lose anyway."

Now you're talking. Anybody remember me dissing on the Cubs from 10 years ago? Steve Bartman--whereever you are (Florida, I'm guessing.....HIDING FROM THE CHICAGO OLDER TRANSPLANTS)--YOU'RE THE F*CKING MAN. I would buy you a couple rounds of drinks and a steak dinner.

That's how much I hate the Cubs and their franchise. I hate their dumb f8cking fans too--every damned year--"this is the year!!!!"

Then they go out and lose 90-100 games.....

I wonder if Steve is still a Cubs Fan after WTF he's been through. Imagine a job interview with Steve:

Somewhere near Tampa, Florida......

Interviewer #1: ".....and next we have Steve Bartman.....a transient from Illinois.....he was out in the waiting room wearing 1978-styled headphones and coke-bottled glasses.....I thought I heard a baseball game playing....."

Interviewer #2: "......name sounds vaguely familiar.....send him in......"

Bartman: "Hi....nice to meet you.....I'm Steve Bartman....."

Interviewer #2: "Waita second.....someone pull up Google......I know this guy....."

Bartman: "THAT BALL WAS IN FOUL TERRITORY!!!!!!"

Interviewer #1: "Whelp.....that was quick....here, have this ole 'Devil Rays' Hat as a souvenier.....NEXT!!!!!!"

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 24.10.85.218 on May 31, 2014 1:51 AM

LCD

Re: SheopleHerder

No score for this post
May 31 2014, 10:51 AM 

LOL, OSF!

I feel sorry for the Cubs, but then again, I USED to feel sorry for the Red Sox too. Now I view their fans as a-holes after they won a few championships in recent years.

Seeing the Red Sox and Yankees on TV far more often than other teams (not that I would actually stop channel surfing and watch the games anyway) is annoying too.

Speaking of TV, I was recently chosen to be a Nielsen family! I never knew anyone in my life who was picked for that. I mostly just heard people wonder who the heck these "imaginary" people were that decided the ratings.

I don't watch ANY reality / competition shows (like "Dancing With The Stars"), so I'm doing my small part to diminish the ratings of that cheap, brain-killing programming. Science-related programs like "Cosmos", various comedies, well-written dramas like "Fargo" on FX and survival shows like "Survivorman" and "Naked and Afraid" should get a tiny boost from me. Once football starts back up, I will watch that as well obviously... especially college football.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

11 years ago....

No score for this post
May 31 2014, 6:32 PM 

Dave
(Login DaveinWV)

Re: 11 years ago....

No score for this post
June 1 2014, 9:23 AM 

Just for the hell of it I picked a random year, 1996, and looked at who the Reds drafted. Through the first 30 rounds or so only 2 players made it to the majors and combined only played in 3 seasons. I may have missed somebody, but that still goes to show you how lousy a franchise can be if the scouting sucks and is underfunded. It's not that bad now, but I don't think it's all that great either.

If there was anything else on I probably wouldn't even pay much attention today.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Farm System

No score for this post
June 1 2014, 11:19 AM 

Lest we not forget Schott downsized the farm system which ultimately led to some very poor years in the 1990's after Piniella was let go and have had some fallout yet today. For a team like the Reds to survive it needs a very good farm system. It seems at the time Schott cared more for those dogs of hers than the team.

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2004/0302/1749114.html

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

Re: Farm System

No score for this post
June 2 2014, 7:19 AM 

The problem with baseball is that it is not uncommon for smaller market teams to intentionally draft poorly to save on payroll. At least in the first couple of rounds. Which is one reason why teams like the Yankees do actually have home grown successes (i.e. their big guns during the 90s...Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Pettitte) I believe were all Yankees draft picks. And if they weren't they were at the very least developed by the Yankees.

Even now although slotting has made the process more fair (i.e. the Yankees and Red Sox don't have the advantage of giving any bigger of a first contract) there are still high picks that refuse to sign and just go back into next year's draft. So in baseball at least it is much easier for a prospect to go to a more desirable location such as New York or Boston or Los Angeles.

And I agree to the above points about the Reds...they still have not completely recovered from the 90s, but their current farm system for what it's worth Sporting News has them as 17th (middle of the pack). In their own division though Pirates (2), Cubs (5), and Cardinals (6) all ahead of the Reds. Brewers are 28th. The Cards being that high says a lot about them and how they operate. Almost always a threat to win the division, typically a shot at the World Series, and almost never last place type finishes (not since the mid-90s before LaRussa when they still had turf at old Busch). Also some credit to the Pirates who have now been paying their prospects and drafting well, and not selling them off during the last three years in which they have been in playoff chases all three years. They might be poor/cheap to some extent, but they have figured out where to properly invest.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Can't Sugarcoat this

No score for this post
June 6 2014, 8:58 PM 

Reds flat out suck now. Pitchers suck, hitters suck, front office sucks - reminds me of another Cincinnati team we all know. At 27-32 they are on pace to finish roughly 15 games under .500 and might beat out the Cubs for last place. Votto now is as useful at tits on a bull and may have lost market value for the Reds to get anything of value for him. I said on an earlier thread that the Reds could be out of it by the end of June - looks to be on schedule there. When will the fire sale start?

WHODEYINKY
(no login)

Reds Reds Reds

No score for this post
June 28 2014, 12:11 PM 

Don't look now but the Reds are starting to get on a roll. 16-9 this month so far, won or split the last 7 series including this one. Cueto was money again last night. The man should be starting the All Star Game for the NL. If they can stay healthy and actually keep scoring a decent amount of runs this could be a fun next few months. Just need the Brewers to cool off a bit and they'll be in business.

LCD

Re: Reds Reds Reds

No score for this post
June 28 2014, 5:23 PM 

If they can win tonight, they should be just one game behind for the last wild-card spot. The Cardinals are getting smeared so far tonight.

theydey
(Login theydey)

No score for this post
June 28 2014, 5:55 PM 

Reds are on a roll, eh?

Jinxed!!

Thanks for that.

LCD

No score for this post
June 29 2014, 4:58 PM 

Jinx?

The Reds are now in second place in the Central and are tied for the second wild card spot.

Nothing will stop them now!!

Edit: Foreshadowing could only be about 5 seconds or less back when hippies were watching these movies in the 70's.

This message has been edited by LCarpetronDookmarriott from IP address 76.224.167.51 on Jun 29, 2014 7:53 PM

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 68 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return