psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: The Perpetual Marvin Lewis Hot Seat Roundup

No score for this post
January 1 2018, 10:27 AM 

More faux drama on tap.

Cincinnati Bengals, Marvin Lewis will take time on 2018 decision
Jim Owczarski - Cincinnati Enquirer - 9:56 a.m. ET Jan. 1, 2018 | Updated 10:28 a.m. ET Jan. 1, 2018

The morning of Jan. 1, 2018 has been long awaited by many in and around Paul Brown Stadium regarding the future of head coach Marvin Lewis, and the annual meeting between Lewis and team owner and president Mike Brown came and went with no resolution.

The Enquirer learned from multiple team sources Monday morning that no decision about Lewis' future has been made and both parties may wait until Tuesday to do so.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/01/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-take-time-2018-decision/994088001/

Another one of those "let's sleep on it" situations with Mike Brown not really wanting to make the move.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
January 1 2018, 10:38 AM 

I think Marvin is gone, you could tell by his body language this season he was done , I think he's made a list of demands he knows the Bengals won't accept and waiting for them to formally turn them down

the search for a new coach will be easy, just wait until someone accepts the sh!tty terms of being the Bengals head coach , more than likely someone already here or someone that is really desperate
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 1 2018, 10:49 AM 

You may be right, Storm, but again, I'll believe it when I see it.

What to do while we wait this thing out? It would be a sin not to catch up with ol' reliable, Mr. Inevitable himself, Nate Davis.

NFL hot seat rankings: List of coaches in trouble could be long as Black Monday nears
Nate Davis - USA TODAY Sports - 10:08 a.m. ET Dec. 27, 2017

We're mere days away from Black Monday (and teams increasingly tend to get a jump on shopping for new coaches, opting for Black Sunday Night instead). And this year could be especially dark. The Giants are weeks into their search to replace Ben McAdoo. Bruce Arians spent Tuesday denying a report he's already got one foot out the door in Arizona, while Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was busy claiming Jason Garrett's job is safe. And Marvin Lewis ... sigh.

Here's the final installment of our weekly hot seat rankings:

1. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals: It's been a nice run, especially by Cincy standards, with seven playoff appearances in Lewis' 15 seasons at the helm. But he's infamously gone 0-7 in postseason and hasn't even gotten there lately as he winds up his second consecutive sub-.500 campaign. With no contract for 2018 and the team in need of a new voice, it's high time Lewis explored his free agent options. Last week: 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/12/27/nfl-hot-seat-rankings-coaches-john-fox-jim-caldwell/983766001/

NFL hot seat rankings: Bengals' Marvin Lewis only delaying inevitable
Nate Davis - USA TODAY Sports - 4:38 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017 | Updated 4:40 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017

With 40% of the NFL's teams already eliminated from playoff contention with two games still left in the regular season, it won't be a very Merry Christmas in some cities. Still, it's a good time to enjoy the game's good fortunes and blessings with less than two weeks until Black Monday.

Here's the latest installment of our weekly hot seat rankings:

1. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals: Given the reports that surfaced Sunday morning regarding Lewis' imminent departure, we were ready to officially remove him (reminder, he has no contract for 2018) from this list. Alas, Marvin apparently decided later that day that he enjoys being ranked No. 1 at something and/or wanted an extra bag of balls thrown into his divorce proceedings from owner Mike Brown. Despite the absence of a playoff victory, it's been a solid 15-year run in Cincinnati — by Bengals standards, anyway — but all mediocre things must come to an end. Accusing any team of quitting is a weighty charge, and we won't do it now ... but since their latest implosion against the Steelers on Dec. 4, this team has lost its past two games by a collective score of 67-14. (And let's not forget Lewis' recent assertion that motivating players isn't part of his job description.) There's the door, Marvin. Take that bag of balls if you must. Last week: 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/12/19/nfl-hot-seat-rankings-bengals-marvin-lewis-john-fox-chuck-pagano/966356001/

NFL hot seat rankings: Bengals' Marvin Lewis, Bears' John Fox coaching out the string?
Nate Davis - USA TODAY Sports - 7:26 p.m. ET Dec. 12, 2017

Let's begin with that rarest of phrases: "Bravo, Browns."

Hue Jackson may be careening toward just the second 0-16 season in NFL history, but he deserves the opportunity to coach Cleveland with the assistance and wisdom of a competent front office, and new GM John Dorsey has the bona fides to build one in the wake of the franchise's analytics cataclysm.

That said, we'd expect Jackson — owner Jimmy Haslam announced he'll be back next year — to have only a moderate amount of rope in 2018 given there is obvious talent on this roster and the typical tendency new general managers have for wanting to anoint their own coach.

Moving on, here's the latest installment of our weekly hot seat rankings:

1. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals: His undisciplined, inconsistent, underperforming team followed Week 13's implosion against Pittsburgh by laying down at home for the lowly Bears. Lewis' assessment: “I’m at a loss of words today.” Cincy's briefly flickering playoff hopes are now permanently doused, and it's all but inevitable that Lewis is finishing out his contract with no hope for another one. Maybe he can join Jackson's staff next year. Last week: 3

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/12/12/nfl-hot-seat-rankings-bengals-marvin-lewis-bears-john-fox/946726001/

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
January 1 2018, 10:53 AM 

In the meantime all the qualified candidates are going to interviewed by the many teams looking for a head coach, Mike Brown will wait until the smoke clears and see that there is no one left and promote someone who will have even less control than Marvin had
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
January 1 2018, 12:44 PM 

No decision today. Perhaps tomorrow. The assistant coaches have contracts that are up too, so something will have to be decided.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 12:20 AM 

Marvin Lewis might actually end up returning as Bengals coach next season

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-might-actually-end-up-returning-as-bengals-coach-next-season/

I'm starting to feel like we might be hearing of a Marvin extension. I will then have to eat crow, although in fairness, I did say it could take 3 even 4 down years. I thought this could be the year, but the DCB reared its head.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

PTbungler
(Login Primetimebungler)

Heeees Baaaack

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 11:11 AM 

Just saw the same news about Marvin coming back on WCPO if he feels like him and the clown are "moving in the same direction" which i am guessing that direction for Marvin is he get to keep his job, and for the Clown it is he gets less money for keeping his job. It was hilarious to read Doc praising Giggles strong arm tactics with the family. Dear 8 lb 6 oz baby Jesus in your golden fleece diaper, please do not let Marvin return next year. By the way, if you could work a miracle and convince the Brown family to sell, that would be great too.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 12:08 PM 

The scribes are now acting like they were sceptical all along, and that's a load of bullcrap. Local scribes more than anybody else should be on to Mike Brown by now.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 3:59 PM 

As multiple threads have pointed out already, Marvin Lewis has now officially signed a new contract.

- The naivety of the scribes has been exposed.

- The Hot Seat Theater has ended.

- The elaborate mating dance is complete.

- Continuity has been sustained.

- Reality has been reaffirmed: Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis.

And I'll be catching up with this thread from now until doomsday.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 7:31 PM 

Daugherty earlier in the day:

Doc: If Marvin's back, Bengals better have Super reason
Paul Daugherty - Cincinnati Enquirer - 9:32 a.m. ET Jan. 2, 2018 | Updated 9:49 a.m. ET Jan. 2, 2018

I’m in the hotel room in Baltimore Monday recovering from a flu smackdown. Flight’s at 3:20. Get an extended checkout. Dial up Marv’s presser on the laptop at noon. He arrives at 12:35. Whatever.

Not sure what to expect. Who could be sure what to expect?

Drop a few ibuprophens, mainline a little Zicam. Get by with a little help from my friends.

The coach arrives, talks several minutes about Sunday’s game. No one cares.

Clash classic spinning in my head. “So come on and let me know. . .’’

If he stays, there will be trouble. If he goes, there will be double. . . Mick Jones and the boys never got it righter.

Finally, the coach says stuff worth typing. For your reading pleasure:

“People have their viewpoints, I have mine.’’

“Staying on the same page is important. If his direction is different than my direction, it’s probably not good.’’

“If you’re a real fan, stay the course.’’

“It’s not the time for me to address moving forward with the Cincinnati Bengals.’’

It’s not? It’s not the time? Well, when might be, you know, the time? Meantime, what shall we discuss? Sunset in Hawaii, the cost of kippers in Liverpool, how Chinese checkers it taking Poland by storm? Your call, coach.

Man, this was vintage Marvin. Classic. Candid, without being candid. Forceful, without appearing so. A mouthful, without a bite being consumed. Arrogant. I say this with a measure of admiration. Not since Carson Palmer has one of Mike Brown’s hirelings had the emperor in such a headlock. Well, well played.

You’re not gonna extend me? You’re gonna let that 2015 team I put together take a hike? You’re not gonna keep Whitworth? You’re gonna expect me to be the face of this organization and explain it all?

Works for me, boss man. Only now, it’s payback time.

If his direction is different than my direction, it’s probably not good.

Only in Cincinnati can a coach who is winless in the postseason in his 15 years hereassume leverage. The Steelers have as many wins this year as the Bengals have in the past two years, combined. And yet. . .

Whatever “direction’’ the BrownTrust wants this team to go, it better meet with Marvin’s approval. Beautiful.

I don’t know what Coach Lew wants. More say over who plays? A practice bubble? More money for assistants? Gumdrops in the office candy dish?

It seems pointless by now to be battling for more control. Fifteen years. And it isn’t as if the Bengals have been postseason moguls. And yet Lewis believes he has them where he wants them.

If I’m them, I chuckle at Marvin’s power play. In the very near future, I appear at Horrid News Conference II and thank Lewis extensively for his good work and announce an amicable parting of ways. Oh, it’s our team, Marvin. We like the way we do things.

Will that happen? Beats me. All involved in the talks are as tight-lipped as chickens.

(BTW, any national honcho who quotes “sources’’ inside the Bengals organization about anything other than what day of the week it is, is either getting it straight from the coach or he’s getting rumors, K?)

Meantime, the NFL coaching tilt-a-whirl is in overdrive. NFL coaches are as disposable as burger wrappers. FromESPN.com:

Bruce Arians announced his retirement

John Fox has been fired after the Bears' third consecutive last-place finish

The Lions have fired coach Jim Caldwell after four seasons with the franchise, less than a year after he signed an extension.

The Colts fired Chuck Pagano after the team's season-ending win over the Texans on Sunday. Pagano went 53-45

Giants firing Ben McAdoo and general manager Jerry Reese in the middle of a 2-10 season.

Bengals assistants are in limbo. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther could be Jon Gruden’s guy in Oakland if the Raiders hire Gruden. Special teams coach Darrin Simmons could be up for the Bengals job if Lewis leaves.

Beyond that? No assistant has a deal here. “First things first,’’ Lewis said. Meaning himself, of course.

If the BrownTrust retains Lewis, it means he will have gotten more control. It also means they have some ‘splainin’ to do:

Do you need to win the Super Bowl?
(We didn’t say ‘want’. Everyone wants things. I want to move to a tropical island paradise and aim 40-yard wedges at rows of Moscow Mule mugs. But I don’t need to. Is this your passion, Family? Or is it at heart an extended stay at the NFL’s fantastic money motel?)

If you answer “Yes!’’ to the above question, explain why you believe this coach is the coach to get you there. Because he’s had 15 cracks at it, and he hasn’t come close.

That’s the only question that needs asking at Horrid Presser II. How the Fam answers it will tell us all we need to know. (In case, we didn’t know the answer already. It’s actually a highly rhetorical query, yeah?)

If you go this route, just give Marvin every key and stop pretending you’re football people who know how to get to the Super Bowl.

If, on the other hand, you “go in a different direction’’ do it quickly before all the prime candidates have signed elsewhere. Hiring Lewis in 2003 was as inspired a move as this franchise has made since it hired Sam Wyche. Do it again, and give the new guy the same keys as Marvin has now.

Do not stay in house. Thank goodness Hue and Jay are going nowhere.

Listening to fans usually isn’t smart. It’s like asking your auto mechanic if you need heart surgery. But this time, it has merit. In their 50th anniversary season, the Bengals actually marketed their product actively. It resulted in no sellouts and the 3rd-worst attendance in the league, ahead of only the vagabond LA Chargers and the bad-as-possible Browns. Ten-thousand short of capacity v. Pittsburgh? And those numbers aren’t actual bodies in seats; they’re “tickets distributed’’.

As many fans cried as rejoiced Sunday night, when Andy Dalton completed that improbable comeback with a 49-yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on 4th-and-12. That was a great play. And straight-up fortuitous. A team will make a play like that a few times a year. It shouldn’t be seen as a sign of anything.

What has ownership seen from this team the past two years that would suggest Super Bowl?

And at this point in the Marvin conversation, if we’re not talking Super Bowl, why talk?

That is the only question on the table. We’ll await the answer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2018/01/02/morning-line-12/109091692/

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 8:26 PM 

Daugherty later in the day:

Daugherty: Bengals owner Mike Brown need only answer one question
Paul Daugherty - Cincinnati Enquirer - 7:23 p.m. ET Jan. 2, 2018

Well.

I’d love to wait until after the press conference Wednesday to react to the re-signing of Marvin Lewis, but this isn’t a wait-until business. So here goes.

This is a mistake.

Sure it could end up being the best move Mike Brown has made since he invested in a seersucker suit. The Marvin-led Men might win a Super Bowl next year, and never stop. Someday, Mike Brown might even drive his sensible, American-made sedan to his own Hall of Fame induction. Marvin riding shotgun.

It’s possible. Since I can’t predict the future – if I could, I’d be in Vegas, cherry-picking champions and making tall piles of cash – I can respond only to what my gut is telling me.

This is a mistake.

Someone should ask this of Brown on Wednesday:

“Are you in business to win a championship?"

He will say yes.

“Could you explain how that might occur while doing business as usual?"

That’s the only answer required.

Don’t sweat the details. Don’t ferret out what power Lewis has today that he didn’t have yesterday. Don’t even worry about what’s gonna be different this time around, for the big ML 3.0 launch.

Are you in business to win a championship?

If you are, explain why you believe this coach is the coach to get you there. Because he’s had 15 cracks at it, and he hasn’t come close.

I don’t doubt that ownership “wants" to win a championship. Everyone wants things. I want to move to a tropical island paradise and aim 40-yard wedges at rows of Moscow Mule mugs. But I don’t need to. It doesn’t drive me.

Is this your passion, BrownTrust? The way it’s the passion of Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones and Arthur Blank, the Rooneys and others for whom finishing first is all that matters?

Are you in business to win a championship?

The accolades afforded Lewis have been generous in This Space recently. No need to repeat them. He moved a mountain, he’s wonderful for the community. He has been the Cincinnati Bengals' shining star. He hasn’t won a Super Bowl, or come close.

On Monday, he put Brown on trial. Lewis issued ultimatums: “Staying on the same page is important. If his direction is different than my direction, it’s probably not good."

He gave short-shrift to fans who have suffered like Job: “If you’re a real fan, stay the course."

He said without going full in-your-face: I am the man here, and if you want me to stay, you better change your game.

On Tuesday, I asked two prominent local CEOs how they might react if one of their managers had gone public with a similar barrage. Both said without hesitation, paraphrasing, “If I had a manager talk to me like that, he wouldn’t be here."

Coat, hat, door.

Not two-year contract. For a coach who hasn’t won a playoff game. Whose team won 13 games in the past two seasons, same as the Steelers won this season.

Anywhere else, this is outrageous. Here, it’s business as usual. By the way: Now that you’ve gone this route, please give Marvin every key and stop pretending you’re football people who know how to win the Super Bowl.

Meantime, Bengals fans walk the line between noble and foolish. This year, that started to change. The Anthem Crisis contributed, the concussion crisis contributed, the notion that at times the NFL is 10 pounds of hype in a 5-pound bag contributed. But around here, it was also that fans finally had quit the Bengals. Real fans.

In their 50th anniversary season, the Bengals actually marketed their product actively. It resulted in no sellouts and the 3rd-worst attendance in the league, ahead of only the vagabond Los Angeles Chargers and the bad-as-possible Browns. Ten-thousand short of capacity v. Pittsburgh, on a Monday night? Those numbers aren’t actual bodies in seats; they’re “tickets distributed."

As many real fans cried as rejoiced Sunday night, when Andy Dalton completed that improbable comeback with a 49-yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on 4th-and-12. That was a great play. And straight-up fortuitous. A team will make a play like that a few times a year. It shouldn’t be seen as a sign of anything.

What has ownership seen from this team the past two years that would suggest Super Bowl? At this point in the Marvin conversation, if we’re not talking Super Bowl, why are we talking?

Bob Knight said this to me once: “You rarely get what you want in life, and you don’t often get what you expect. You get what you’re willing to put up with."

The Bengals will hold a press conference Wednesday. There will be this question and it is the only question necessary:

“Are you in business to win a championship?"

We await the answer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2018/01/02/daugherty-cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-need-only-answer-one-question-marvin-lewis/998357001/

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 8:42 PM 

"“Are you in business to win a championship?"

The Fans in this city would like to get an honest answer from mikey on that one. If you are not going to do the things to at least get deep in the playoffs one time than you should sell the team and get out of the business. To be the Washington Generals every year is not what the fans want to hear.

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

This is just posturing

No score for this post
January 2 2018, 11:00 PM 

Look, we already KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Brown family is NOT in this business to win a championship. They don't need one. They've given us three decades of evidence to that effect.

The Bengals are a cash cow and a jobs program and vastly appreciating asset for the Brown family. That is all.

So were someone to ask that question, Mikey would give some mealy mouthed answer about how everybody wants to win... but come time for free agency the Bengals big pickups are going to be your Brandon LaFells and your discard pile throwaways, has-beens, and never-weres.

The scouting staff will still be the smallest in the NFL. They're still gonna nickle and dime what they can.

If Daugherty wants the answer to his question just come here and read the mikebrownsucks.com archives.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

I love this line by Giggs

No score for this post
January 3 2018, 9:23 AM 

“If you’re a real fan, stay the course."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Oh now I have to be a "real fan"? Were the Cherokee "real fans" when they walked the Trail of Tears?

I'm betting that comparison isn't too far off because I know it too well from coming here for the last 15+ years.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Devil's Advocate

No score for this post
January 3 2018, 5:49 PM 

What if the bungs laid an egg in balt Sunday would mikey bring him back? Or better yet what if he laid an egg for both the Balt and Det games? Would that have done it with an 5-11 record and the Fans wanting giggles head and threatening not to renew their season tickets? What level of ineptitude would it have taken for mikey to axe giggles?

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
January 3 2018, 7:16 PM 

Were the Cherokee "real fans" when they walked the Trail of Tears?

Bwahahahahahahahahah!!!!!! Too perfect.

Also, I maintain this is probably the closest thing to the truth:
https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/948317764149587968

BMN

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 3 2018, 9:34 PM 

This thread is all about making fun of the scribes, specifically when they perceive signs of a Mike and Marvin divorce. Anything short of expressing healthy skepticism over that possibility is fair game for ridicule.

With that said, check out the latest Bengals Beat Podcast. Dehner and Owczarski dance around the gullibility they flaunted over the past few months. A few transcribed excerpts below.

First came this, very early on after the podcast intro section [approximate time points in brackets]:

Owczarski: [2:26] People who listen to us regularly, thank you, know that we... this would have been... I don't know... not a shock... but it would have been like a surprise... as many as two weeks ago, three weeks ago...

Dehner: For sure. Even during this weekend, a little bit.

[... cross-talk omitted...]

Owczarski: But we always said it, we always had it. If you could do it in 2010, and it's between Mike and Marvin, this was always a possibility... [2:59]

Yeah, right. After going on for months and months about a possible breakup, they finally got a bit wise at the 11th hour. (And after pulling down official articles.) Before that they would make occasional CYA comments -- quickie little asides that barely registered.

There's no need to even pull up their previous comments to demonstrate where the emphasis had been. All we have to do is listen further along in the podcast. This came a little past the midpoint:

Dehner: [30:27] When you've been here this long, and you've lost enough games, a new voice is just something that people need sometimes.

[... cross-talk omitted...]

It seemed time for the perfect break. It seemed like it had came across at the perfect time and I think that's where the shock comes from for a lot of this stuff. [30:57]

Ah ha. So it was indeed a "shock". For it to be shock, they had to have been sure of themselves in the first place.

Then at the very end of the podcast, right when they were signing off:

Dehner: [51:52] There it is, folks. The news that everybody anticipated all year, all offseason, after two days of discussion came to an end. Marvin Lewis back to the 2019 season on a two year deal, and the more things change the more things stay the same. [52:14]

Now why would everybody anticipate the news "all year and all offseason"? Could it have been, at least in part, due to the scribes trumpeting it's importance, as if a major change was likely?

Link: Bengals Beat Podcast: Marvin Lewis is back - Jan 2, 7:15 PM
https://audioboom.com/posts/6576635-bengals-beat-podcast-marvin-lewis-is-back

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Keeping Track

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 9:08 AM 

Psycho...this thread has been a nice job of not only pointing out the MB Failures of attempting to fire Marvin Lewis...but also pointing out the gullibility and "sheepness" of the press to believe it was happening. Love it so far. I'll bet his seat continues to be "hot" in 2018.

BMN--nice. You know the User Comments. They are the best. Here are some highlights:

"The Marvin Lewis-Andy Dalton Bengals are the NCIS of the NFL. We’ve all lost interest, seems like it’s enough already and yet there they are every fall."

"One reason the Bengals have remained highly competitive. It turns out Mike Brown was bad for the old NFL and good for the new."

"Is there a more irrelevant franchise in the NFL? Not bad. Not good. Irrelevant."

3 of my favs. Actually, the 1st comment is my fav. The Bungles and NCIS TV Show have commonality. No-name actors, has-been's, or never-was'. NOT INTERESTING IN THE LEAST (see this year)...AJ Green Bungle-ization....and they will all be back this fall.

Loved it.

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 148.87.23.16 on Jan 4, 2018 9:22 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 6:18 PM 

One final transcribed excerpt from the BBP. Emphasis added by me in bold. This is Dehner with Owczarski agreeing the whole way.

[32:24] This is who this who this organization is. They value continuity. They value loyalty. They believe in just doing the job better if they feel like they have the right people. And that's what won out here.

What won out was comfort and continuity. I think Mike Brown would be fine if Marvin Lewis is the last coach he ever sees, and he never has to fire another coach. I think we might have learned that today.

You just can't have more obvious chances to just move on than you had in '11 and you had today. It can't be more obvious. You can't have a bigger hit over the head. [33:20].

https://audioboom.com/posts/6576635-bengals-beat-podcast-marvin-lewis-is-back

Got that? "Might have learned."

Please think back to their endless blabbing about continuity during the 2016 offseason. Sounds like they're finally starting to believe their own damn reporting.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 6 2018, 1:44 PM 

Here we go. I'll be logging these entries all offseason, and that's just for the fallout from Shefter's fake news report on Week 14.

Here's "Slam Dunk" Banks again.

Week 17 Snap Judgments
Don Banks - Patriots.com - Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:13 PM EST

What a devastating defeat for Baltimore to absorb, after it looked like the Ravens had dug themselves out of a mid-season hole at 4-5 and were destined for the postseason with the softest closing schedule anyone could ask for.

But the Bengals had something to say about that, winning in dramatic fashion for the soon-to-be-ex-Cincinnati head coach, Marvin Lewis, the onetime Baltimore defensive coordinator. Lewis’s run is over after 15 years leading the Bengals, but what a way to exit. Cincinnati trailed by four points and faced a 4th and 12 with less than a minute remaining, but receiver Tyler Body caught a 49-yard touchdown pass from Andy Dalton with just 44 second left to end Baltimore’s season in stunning fashion.

The Ravens defense had been it backbone all season, but what a spectacular failure at the worst possible time. Baltimore defensive coordinator Dean Pees is reportedly ready to announce his retirement from coaching, but you wonder if this kind of loss will claim even more casualties on the Ravens staff. After going to the playoffs in his first five seasons in Baltimore, with one Super Bowl ring, coach John Harbaugh’s teams have now missed the postseason in four of the past five years.

As for Lewis, his Bengals won their last two games to eliminate Detroit and Baltimore from the playoff race, finishing 7-9 and missing the postseason for the second year in a row. Lewis never won a playoff game in Cincinnati, going 0-7, but Sunday’s comeback was almost as memorable as a win in January.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/12/31/week-17-snap-judgments

Week 16 Snap Judgments
Don Banks - Patriots.com - Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:46 PM EST

* It was nice of the Bengals to send Marvin Lewis out a winner in what is likely to be the final home game of his 15-year tenure coaching in Cincinnati. But, boy, did the visiting Lions come up small with a lot on the line, losing to the Bengals 26-17 at Paul Brown Stadium.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/12/24/week-16-snap-judgments

Week 15 Snap Judgments
Don Banks - Patriots.com - Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:53 PM EST

* Good call, Marvin Lewis, realizing the gig is up and it’s time for a coaching change in Cincinnati. It doesn’t matter if they paint it as a mutual parting of the ways or a resignation or a firing, Lewis already had done best work with the Bengals long ago, and the status quo in the NFL is simply not sustainable at some point.

Lewis took over a Cincinnati program in 2003 that was known as one of the league’s most reliable losers and in time made it relevant again. But that 0-7 playoff record he had with the Bengals spoke to his not being able get his team over the hump, and there’s no escaping that conclusion. Lewis did good work in Cincinnati, but alas, his clubs were never great, or rose to the moment when the stakes were the highest.

Here’s hoping for the sake of Bengals fans, team owner Mike Brown doesn’t simply elevate defensive coordinator Paul Guenther to the top job, as has been speculated he might. Nothing against Guenther, but that’s not a big enough change from my vantage point.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/12/17/week-15-snap-judgments

Week 14 Snap Judgments
Don Banks - Patriots.com - Sunday, December 10, 2017 8:53 PM EST

* If Mike Brown has a brain, that should definitely seal the deal for Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, with his Bengals losing 33-7 at home to the punchless Bears. Cincinnati (5-8) looked dazed and confused all day, as if it still had a hangover from that brutally physical Monday night home loss to Pittsburgh.

In all reality, both coaches involved in Sunday’s surprising blowout at Paul Brown Stadium are likely gone. Chicago’s John Fox has won just 13 games in his almost-three seasons with the Bears, and the writing is on the wall for the guy who led both Carolina and Denver to the Super Bowl.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/12/10/week-14-snap-judgments

< Previous Page 19 10 11 12 13 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return