<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
Katie
(Login KaBTK)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: The Perpetual Marvin Lewis Hot Seat Roundup

No score for this post
September 11 2016, 4:29 AM 

If Marvin went 4-12 this year, he probably wouldn't be fired. We all thought he would in 2010(?), and he wound up with a contract extension. Mike Brown would tout that he made the playoffs 5 consecutive seasons in a row, blame injuries, and insist everyone has a down year. The problem is, of course, that he never won in those playoff games. He's never won a single playoff game. His Primetime record is dismal. In most cities, he probably would be fired. Here, as long as he is generally "good enough", Mike Brown will probably allow him a down year. I think that a couple consecutive seasons of failure, though, could end his tenure in Cincinnati.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 11 2016, 8:41 AM 

Katie, I'm surprised at you. I thought you were a Mike Brown realist! Forget not that he's a man of profound and legendary patience. So profound that he makes the Biblical Job seem frivolous and slapdash by comparison. So legendary that it's recorded not in years or decades or centuries but in glacial eras.

Also remember that Mike Brown relentlessly follows the the lodestar of Continuity. It informs his every word and deed. Continuity flows through his veins. It oozes from his pores. It sits at the very center of his being.

Mike Brown would never fire Marvin Lewis after a couple of 4-12 season. Never.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Sep 11, 2016 8:59 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 1:20 PM 

Here we go. The 2016 season has started out 1-2. The O-line can't protect Andy Dalton. They have a prime time game coming up on Thursday. On the road.

Here come the fools claiming that Marvin Lewis is on the hot seat! Sit back and watch them all roll in.

Katie
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 1:53 PM 

LOL!  Fair point, Psycho, but I actually do think two down years would do it for Marvin.  I might be wrong, but he was given another shot with the 2011 rebuilding.  He has gotten them to the playoffs since then without wins, but if he can't even get them to the playoffs for a couple years, I don't see him being around for rebuilding number 3.  Remember that outrage finally got rid of Bratkowski.  Maybe I'm wrong, though, and he'll just fire Zampese and keep Marvin in perpetuity.

You know the sad reality?  The pundits have talked in the past about how we are loaded and had talented rosters, and we wasted it on poor coaching.  We had two years - 2013 and 2015 - where I think this team had the talent to make a run for it, and both were squandered.

As far as the Dolphins game, though, it is at home, not on the road.  I think the Bengals are debuting their snazzy new uniforms.

--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 3:58 PM 

You're right, Katie, it's at home. With the way Miami is playing, you'd think the Bungs could get an easy win. But it is really and truly in prime time, so we'll see.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 5:21 PM 

Didn't see the game, heard the officiating was bad again

I've been predicting a bad season for the last 4 years but I think the losses of talent are finally starting to hurt the team, Marvin Jones 205 yards and 2 TDs, Reggie Nelson a fumble recovery and an Int to help the Raiders, this team has had talent for years but unable to make a run in the playoffs, the window for this season is closing fast, I just don't see Marvin Lewis having what it takes to get it done

The coach this team should have Zimmer is 3-0 despite losing their starting QB and RB
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 5:36 PM 

I knew that the Marvin Jones decision would kill them/help the Lions. Terrible personnel move.

As for the Dolphins game the Bengals to their credit still continue to beat who they should and lose to who they should, so prime time or not they will beat a terrible Dolphins team unless they knock Andy out early (they have after all injured three QBs in three weeks).

This message has been edited by wyche from IP address 72.196.144.110 on Sep 25, 2016 5:37 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 25 2016, 5:55 PM 

No Zim, no Hue, and Marvin Lewis is looking like an 8-8 coach again.

Hook
(Login TrooperHook)

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 10:44 AM 

I've been working a lot and have yet to see a game. But I suspect the laments about the oline are more relevant than Hue's departure.

I will always believe the bungs' decay on the line following the 2005 season led to the gradual demise of Carson as a Bungle.

The current junior varsity line may well lead to history repeating itself.

I've come to enjoy the local sheep getting torn into knots when the Bungs get exposed in the first round of the playoffs. I guess it will be nostalgic fun to watch them get wiped out in the regular season again.

Either way, may the agony of the Sheep endure forever.

This message has been edited by TrooperHook from IP address 216.48.132.132 on Sep 26, 2016 10:45 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 26 2016, 6:41 PM 

I ran a web search on "Marvin Lewis hot seat" and a slew of stories came up from before the season started. I could be here all day posting on them. It's funny, but there's so dang many it's tedious to post them. Here are a few for now.

9 NFL coaches starting the 2016 season on the hot seat
Steven Ruiz - For the Win, USA Today - February 15, 2016 1:44 pm

2. Marvin Lewis, Bengals

The Bengals are still waiting for their first playoff win under Lewis. It’s hard to see them waiting another year with how last year’s playoff exit went down. Cincinnati would have finally snagged that elusive postseason win if not for total lack of discipline. Some of that has to fall on the head coach. Lewis’ seat is particularly hot since a winning record won’t be enough for him to secure his job. The Bengals need to have some playoff success to justify a 15th year with Lewis at the helm.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/9-nfl-coaching-hot-seat-jeff-fisher-jason-garrett-dallas-cowboys-marvin-lewis-bengals

Top 5 coaches on the hot seat heading into the 2016 NFL season
Damon Salvadore - New York Daily News - Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 1:56 PM

3. Marvin Lewis, Bengals

How long is too long? For most owners and general managers, not winning a playoff game for three to five years would mean moving in a different direction. That’s not the case in Cincinnati. Lewis has coached the Bengals for 13 seasons, but has failed to win a single playoff game. Owner Mike Brown needs to decide if winning regular season or postseason games is more important for his franchise.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/top-5-coaches-hot-seat-new-nfl-season-opens-article-1.2737158

5 Coaches Who Are On The Hot Seat heading in the 2016 NFL season
Evan Massey - Inquisitr - August 27, 2016

Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals

It wouldn’t be easy for the Cincinnati Bengals to part ways with Marvin Lewis, but once again, change can be a good thing. They simply haven’t done well when it has mattered the most. Lewis has to figure out a way to bring home a playoff win, or else he could be looking for a new job.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3458517/5-coaches-who-are-on-the-hot-seat-in-the-2016-nfl-season/

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 2:49 PM 

Here we go with the totally baseless in-season speculation.

The 8 NFL Coaches Most Likely To Get Fired This Season

Jimmie Kaylor - CheatSheet - October 09, 2016

5. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals

Marvin Lewis is entering his 14th season as the Bengals head coach, which makes him the second-longest tenured coach in the league (behind Bill Belichick). He has led the franchise to five straight (and seven total) playoff appearances during his time in Cincinnati, but his teams have yet to record a postseason win. While there is no denying that Lewis has built the Bengals into a perennial contender in the AFC North, he likely must win a playoff game to keep his job.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-2016-season.html/?a=viewall

Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 3:37 PM 

This one is from back in April. Get a load of the title. I'm posting the entire thing.

This year, Marvin Lewis might actually be on the hot seat in Cincinnati
Cindy Boren - Washington Post - April 7, 2016

Every year about this time, the people who cover sports start to count the days until the NFL season begins and think about things like how long Bill Belichick has been the head coach of the New England Patriots.

And then these same people stop to realize that Marvin Lewis is entering his 14th season as coach of the Cincinnati Bengals and are simultaneously surprised and not surprised. Lewis has turned the team around, taking it to the playoffs seven times and for five straight seasons. But the Bengals have always been a dismal disappointment in the playoffs and now the Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole says that time may be running short for Lewis, whose contract is up after this season.

Owner Mike Brown recognized Lewis’s accomplishments but was noncommittal about the future.

“It’s a process. We seem to go through our own dance,” Brown said at the recent NFL meetings (via the Cincinnati Enquirer, “but I commend Marvin’s achievements. He’s done remarkably well with our football team here, in recent years especially. I respect him. I like him personally. He’s going to be our coach this year. That’s in the bank.

“Where it goes, we’ll see how it plays out.”

At this point, it isn’t clear to see how the Bengals could upgrade at coach. Lewis is 112-94-2 in the regular season, with 52 victories over the last five seasons. But he’s 0-7 in the playoffs and last year’s playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers was a particularly ugly way to lose, with penalties to Vontaze Burfict and Adam Jones costing the team a win as it spun out of control in the final moments.

Lewis, like many other coaches, has been in the position of working with one year left on his contract before and, if the Bengals decide it’s time for new blood after this season, he’ll get another job in half a heartbeat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/07/this-year-marvin-lewis-might-actually-be-on-the-hot-seat-in-cincinnati/

No, Marvin Lewis was never actually on the hot seat this year. Or any year. Doesn't anybody know a damn thing about Mike Brown?

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 3:39 PM 

It's simple, as long as Mikey has the team things will be the same. I truly believe Mikey will have to die or resign before anything changes.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 4:08 PM 

Another in-season entry. We're going to see a lot of these this week with the Bungs 2-3 and heading into New England.

5 Head Coaches on Hot Seat Heading Into NFL Week 4
Dan Parzych - NFL Spin Zone - October 2, 2016

5. Marvin Lewis

The situation with Marvin Lewis and the Cincinnati Bengals may be one of the most frustrating ones in the league due to the head coach’s inability to win a playoff game.

Not only have the Bengals reached the playoffs in each of the last five seasons, but Lewis has taken this team to the post season seven times since coming on board as head coach in 2003. For whatever reason, Lewis just can’t get Cincinnati over the hump once the playoffs come around, and most coaches in this situation would have been fired years ago, yet the organization still keeps him around.

Once again, the Bengals entered the 2016 season as one of the favorites in the AFC. And after opening up the season on a positive note with a win against the New York Jets, Andy Dalton and company struggled over the following two games. While the argument can be made that Cincinnati deserves a little slack for losing to two of the top teams in the Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos, these are the teams that could be standing in their way to make a Super Bowl run.

If the Bengals can’t manage to win against playoff-caliber teams in the regular season, they may not even have the opportunity to come up short in the playoffs again, simply because they may not even make it. Lewis still having a job with this team is one of the biggest jokes in the world as Cincinnati’s 1-2 start has put the team in a tough spot early on.

https://nflspinzone.com/2016/09/28/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-week-4/2/

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Oct 9, 2016 4:16 PM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 4:16 PM 

Playoffs?? This year??? Really??? This sad sack of a team will be out of the hunt by Halloween. this is a bad team ladies - as simple as that. That idiot owner of the bungs lost the season when he let Zimmer walk and now Jackson. Even Mike Gruden is winning with the Redskins who the bungs will play soon. Might be a long time before the bungs see the playoffs again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Remember the "Succession Plan"?

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 4:33 PM 

Since we're currently lamenting the loss of Mike Zimmer and Hue Jackson it's worth dredging up this story. We could've kept Hue Jackson, but Mike Brown had to maintain the coveted continuity with his stodgy self.

Report: Marvin Lewis had succession plan with Hue Jackson
Kirk Larrabee - 247 Sports - Apr 8, 2016

Marvin Lewis agreed to a contract extension on Friday to remain as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals through 2017, but according to the reporter who broke the news, Lewis as of earlier this year was making plans to step aside as coach within two years.

In an appearance on the NFL Network, Mike Silver of NFL Media said that following Cincinnati's playoff loss to Pittsburgh in January, Lewis and then-offensive coordinator Hue Jackson came up with a plan that would have had Jackson as Bengals head coach in two years. However, owner Mike Brown wouldn't sign off on the plan.

"After the seventh the playoff defeat against no victories of his Bengals tenure this past January, there was a lot of doubt about Marvin Lewis's future," Silver said (click here to watch). "With Hue Jackson, his offensive coordinator, a hot head coaching candidate, Marvin Lewis went to Hue Jackson and together they hatched a plan that would have kept Hue Jackson on in Cincinnati with a two-year succession plan, at which point Marvin Lewis would step down. They went and shopped that to owner Mike Brown, who did not want to put that in writing. Hue ended up taking the Cleveland Browns job, as we know. Marvin Lewis promoted Ken Zampese (to offensive coordinator) and now stays on in Cincinnati."

Lewis, who was in the final year of his contract, agreed on Friday to a one-year extension for the third consecutive year. The extension quiets talk for now that Lewis is on the hot seat, although there will still be pressure for him to get over the hump in the playoffs, Silver says.

"Potentially, like many other coaches, he is under immense pressure to succeed in 2016, but Mike Brown is not your typical owner, and they have once again extended this relationship," Silver said. "I don't believe that he is on the hot seat as much as commonly believed."

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Marvin-Lewis-had-succession-plan-with-Hue-Jackson-44709451

Note well that statement by Silver: "I don't believe that he is on the hot seat as much as commonly believed." He actually gets it.

Here's the Mike Silver interview where he breaks the story:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000651661/Why-the-Bengals-continue-to-have-confidence-in-Lewis

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Oct 9, 2016 7:11 PM

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

Zimmer was the right choice

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 6:21 PM 

Hue Jackson is gonna do nothing in Cleveland but someday someone will, because their ownership is willing to keep changing things until they get it right (Yes, laugh at me now, but come back in a few years and check again)

Zimmer made the Marvin Lewis reboot go. And now he's gonna make the Vikings into legit contenders if they're not already.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
October 10 2016, 9:27 AM 

http://youtu.be/qsIXL7Lzi44

Here's another Stephen A Smith rant.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
October 10 2016, 2:45 PM 

Steven A Smith rips Marvin again LMAO, its a yearly thing , he must be a closet Bengals fan

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/james-rapien-56340/watch-stephen-a-smith-rips-marvin-15188120/

In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
October 10 2016, 4:45 PM 

Didn't see your post until after I posted this Bunglelistic
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return