<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: The Perpetual Marvin Lewis Hot Seat Roundup

No score for this post
July 19 2017, 6:47 PM 

Has it really been six months since we've visited this topic? ESPN's NFL nation gives us a threefer.

AFC North Q&A: Who is on hottest seat in division?
ESPN.com staff - ESPN Sports - Jul 12, 2017

Our AFC North writers examine which player, coach or front-office executive is on the hottest seat in the division.

Jeremy Fowler, Pittsburgh Steelers reporter: Has to be Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. His number of playoff wins (zero) hovers over Paul Brown Stadium like a southwest Ohio cloud. He's entering a contract year without the promise of a new deal, and though his consistency is admirable -- five straight playoff berths from 2011-15 should not go overlooked -- overcoming a spotty offensive line will prove challenging in 2017. Baltimore coach John Harbaugh needs to re-establish himself after one winning season in four tries, but his Super Bowl pedigree creates goodwill. Don't look now, but Browns owner Jimmy Haslam seems poised to wait out the Hue Jackson-Sashi Brown regime. In 2017, Lewis has the most to gain or lose in the AFC North.

Jamison Hensley, Baltimore Ravens reporter: Lewis. Some can argue that the NFL's second-longest-tenured coach has been on the hot seat for the past couple of years. But Lewis' current situation is the very definition of it. He's in the final year of his contract. He's coming off a 6-9-1 season. And he hasn't won a playoff game in his 14 years in Cincinnati. Still, no one should forget about what the Bengals were like in the 12 seasons before Lewis' arrival. Cincinnati totaled nine double-digit-loss seasons and produced a 55-137 record (.286). With Lewis, the Bengals have reached the playoffs seven times and have a 118-103-3 mark (.533).

[...]

Katherine Terrell, Cincinnati Bengals reporter: Lewis. Jackson certainly can't feel comfortable after winning only one game last season, but the Browns have pledged their commitment to him. Lewis is entering his 15th season, this time without a contract extension in the works. The Bengals' 0-7 record in the playoffs under him certainly looms large, and there will be a lot of pressure this season for him to finally get the team that elusive playoff victory. If the Bengals take another step back, it's not out of the question that Lewis and the team part ways.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/91491/afc-north-qa-who-is-on-the-hottest-seat-in-the-division-3

Katherine Terrell, hang your head in shame. Who do you think you are, Coley Harvey? It's just terrible when a Bungles beat writer pretends this is a normal franchise. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 3:26 PM 

Here's one from the end of May. We can see who's carrying the torch passed off from Don Banks at SI. See: Burke, Chris.

NFL coaches under pressure: Whose jobs are at risk heading into the 2017 season?
Chris Burke - SI.com - Wednesday May 31st, 2017

The Jets may hit rock bottom this season, but will that lead to a complete front-office cleanout? The Bengals certainly value stability, but when is enough enough for Marvin Lewis? These coaches' jobs are not safe.

Leeway is not a luxury afforded most NFL coaches. Even when a roster has to be built from the ground up, there is a finite number of losses ownership and a front office will accept before growing a bit anxious to try something new.

Which coaches are running low on time, as the 2017 season nears? The early hot seat watch.

[...]

Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals value stability, to say the least, and Lewis has delivered 118 wins, seven playoff trips and four division titles since taking over in 2003. He also still has yet to claim a postseason victory. When is enough, enough? Cincinnati did have a run of five straight playoff berths going until last season’s 6-9-1 slip up, but that letdown may have depleted whatever remaining good vibes Lewis had built up.

Hot Seat status: Scorching

http://coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRankingNFL.htm

Burke has Marvin alone in his hottest category, with the second hottest being "scalding." So much for that. If you'll recall, Banks succumbed the Curse of The Marvin Hot Seat last year, losing his own job while the Bungles coach stayed put. Scribes would do well to take note. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis who's as safe as safe can be.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 5:46 PM 

Here's one from earlier in the week.

PFT preseason power rankings No. 21: Cincinnati Bengals
Charean Williams - Pro Football Talk - July 15, 2017, 3:00 PM EDT

[...]

Coaching thermometer: It’s 212 degrees. Boiling. Marvin Lewis, the Bengals head coach since 2003, enters the final year of his contract for the first time since 2010. He has received a series of one-year extensions in recent years but not this year. It might be now or never for Lewis to win a playoff game in Cincinnati.

[...]

How they can prove us wrong: The offensive line is better than expected, allowing Joe Mixon to run for 1,000 yards. A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert stay healthy, allowing Andy Dalton to pass for his career averages of 3,700 yards and 24 touchdowns. The defense plays like it did in the second half of last season when it allowed 15.3 points per game, but gets more sacks (33) and takeaways (20) than last season. And rookie kicker Jake Elliott, whom the Bengals drafted in the fifth round, doesn’t miss six extra points and seven field goals like the team’s kickers did last season. All of that likely needs to happen for the Bengals to make the playoffs, but winning a playoff game for the first time since 1990 might be the only way Lewis earns an extension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/15/pft-preseason-power-rankings-no-21-cincinnati-bengals/

What, now it's boiling rather than scorching? It's actually room temperature. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis, playoff victory or no playoff victory. Scribes stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the one-off quality that is the team's owner.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Elephant in the Room

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 6:50 PM 

Is the OL. From PFT "Biggest negative change: The Bengals offensive line wasn’t good last season, and it lost its two best players – Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler – in free agency. That leaves former first-round pick Cedric Ogbuehi, who was benched at right tackle last season, to start at left tackle, and Jake Fisher, a second-round pick in 2015, to start at right tackle. Andre Smith returns after a year in Minnesota but will move to right guard. If the line can’t protect Andy Dalton or open holes for Joe Mixon, the Bengals are going nowhere in 2017."

And there you have it. If the bungs go 6-10 or worse and Dalton is out before Halloween - might enough boo birds come forth and make it so miserable that mikey might make a change? Stay tuned.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Devil's advocate

No score for this post
July 24 2017, 7:04 PM 

I forgot to put in the previous thread - what is the revenues start dropping? How many poor seasons like last year and the ones to follow and the revenues start dropping 10 - 20% per year will it take before mikey acts? I think in the 2002 disaster under Lebeau the rev's were dropping precipitously and mikey was forced to act.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 24 2017, 8:09 PM 

The memory of the five straight playoff appearances (and six out of seven years) will linger for a very ling time. With Duke Tobin hanging around they will always seem to be a year away from bouncing back. Look at how the sheep were bleating over that last draft.

Mike Brown has everything he ever wanted right now. The family owns the team. As long as he's not actually losing money, Marvin lewis is hanging around. As long as he wants to.

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
July 25 2017, 6:26 PM 

Add Doc to the hot seat hall of shame. Lol. Surprising that he's covered the Bungs for the enquirer for this long and still doesn't know Mikey well enough to know that he'll never fire Marvin. This one shocked me i will admit, but it was funny.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/doc-mike-brown-sticks-guns/103991532/

"If Marvin Lewis' team flops this year, he will be fired."

This message has been edited by Bungleistic from IP address 50.25.56.252 on Jul 25, 2017 6:42 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 25 2017, 8:20 PM 

Thanks for the heads-up, Bungleistic. I would have never bothered to look at Daugherty's article, so sure was I of his cleared-headed view of Mike Brown. It's a sad, sad day when P-Doc (of all people!) claims that Marvin Lewis is on the hot seat. Did he forget that he writes for the Cincinnati Enquirer rather than the National Enquirer?

Doc: Mike Brown sticks to his guns
Paul Daugherty - Cincinnati Enquirer - 4:08 p.m. ET July 25, 2017

[...]

When asked about the fate of Marvin Lewis, whose one-year contract has not been extended, Brown said, “I plan to proceed at my own pace and my own way. I’m not going to be delving into it publicly."

[...]

The Bengals are on the back edge of an era. If Marvin Lewis’ team flops this year, he will be fired. What’s the Bengals definition of flop? If Mike knows, he isn’t saying.

“A lot of coaches are in that situation," Brown said. “It’s not something we haven’t gone through before. It’s probably extra stress on him. That may be a good thing."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/doc-mike-brown-sticks-guns/103991532/

This isn't a hot seat situation, folks. It's hot seat theatre. I will admit that I'm surprised that our favorite owner would even bother to fake it. And fakery is indeed what it is, as Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis, flops, flip-flops, or no flops.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 26 2017, 2:57 PM 

I know in the 2002 season attendance was down and I wonder if mikey actually made money that year or how many of the bad years of the lost decade mikey made money. The main theme here is making money. How many bad seasons where the team loses money will it take for mikey to act?

PS. The Reds are in a situation where their attendance is dropping year by year due to poor teams. I wonder what their P/L statements look like now as it appears they are in a downward spiral ?

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 174.101.146.174 on Jul 26, 2017 3:01 PM

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
July 26 2017, 3:16 PM 

Psycho, I still say if they lose this year, he could get fired. That will be two consecutive losing seasons after years of consecutive playoff appearances that ended in failure. Now I don't think he'll do it because he wants to but rather because the fans will not buy his product if he fails again this year. That said, it may take another year after this year of failure, but I would doubt it because there wasn't a contract renewal. We'll see if I'm right at the end of the year. If they have a mediocre 8-8 season with injuries such as to Andy, he could come back. If they make the playoffs and lose, he could come back. If they bomb again this season, I think he could go.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
August 4 2017, 7:20 PM 

Katie, it would take a complete personality change in Mike Brown for that to happen. This is the guy who feeds the media faux turtle soup at media day every single year. Because, as you know, it would break continuity to give the scribes edible food. What would life be like without the annual griping from Daugherty, Dehner, and Ozwarski?

By the way, whenever you see a scribe asking about Marvin Lewis's hot seat status, you know it's not a rhetorical question. The answer, 90% of the time, is yes.

Marvin Lewis: Last Contract With Bengals?
Marvin Lewis is yet to sign a new contract with the Cincinnati Bengals. Is there going to be a changing of the guard?

Zach Peterson - Cover32 - July 21, 2017

Since 2003, Marvin Lewis, head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, has been to the postseason seven times. Each time had the same result: an early exit in the wild card round. With Lewis entering the last season of his contract, the question remains: is Marvin Lewis on the hot seat?

[...]

It is unfortunate that Lewis is in the spotlight for his inability to move the team to the divisional round. However, he does have an impressive track record with the Bengals. The team is scoring more frequently, the offense and defense are improving, off-field issues are dwindling, and cap management is successful. He is also the second longest tenured coach behind Bill Belichick. That alone is an impressive feat considering how often coaching positions open up. Lewis has taken a team in shambles and created a solid foundation to build upon. But if he does not pass the wild card round, Mike Brown will have to find someone else who can.

http://cover32.com/2017/07/21/marvin-lewis-last-contract-bengals/

No, no, no. There will be no changing of the guard because Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis. The scribes will get real food before that ever happens.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
September 10 2017, 11:28 AM 

Posting this at halftime of the first game of the 2017 season, with the Bungs down to the Ravens 17-0.

Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis, so don't even start!

LOL... per Bungleistic's request...

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 12:34 PM 

Psycho, my prediction still stands. If there is going to be a year, it will be this year (or next), but I think this year - that would mean no annual playoff loss. They would need a losing season.

--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 45.59.46.205 on Sep 10, 2017 12:35 PM

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Give-up Lewis?

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 1:28 PM 

Punting with around 10 minutes to go?

I didn't see the game but seen you guys discussing this. Really? You have AJ "Just lay it up to me and I'll go get it" Green....and you punt?

Jesus.

THAT SHOULD GET YOU FIRED. But there are hundreds, if not thousands of blemishes on Marvin's resume that should have already got him fired.

Nope. Still employed. You've gotta be kidding me.

LCD
(no login)

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 1:54 PM 

I'm glad that I don't even watch the Bengals. I saw the score a few minutes ago, however. Lol!

Mike Brown will probably watch "The Longest Yard" and "Major League" a few times tonight, still determined to make a team of criminal misfits finally work like in the movies!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 3:04 PM 

Here's one from earlier in the day, before the Bungs played in Week 1. Note the language used. And so it begins.

NFL Hot Seat: 5 coaches that must win Week 1

Josh Hill - Fansided - September 10, 2017

Football is back, and straight out of the gate the coals are nice and white under the hot seat.

Despite an offseason to put a gameplan together, there are coaches entering Week 1 either on the hot seat or close to being on it. Most coaches on the hot seat are having that status carry over from last season, with the heat intensifying only because they survived outstanding odds to be ousted.

Others are fine for the moment but could graduate to being in danger of losing their jobs if the season starts slow.

So let’s jump right in and see who needs to start the season out right to avoid being on the hot seat for too long.

5: Marvin Lewis, Head Coach, Cincinnati Bengals

Hear me out on this one. At some point, the reign of Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati is going to end. Continuity has been about the only thing Lewis has provided over his tenure, and most of that involves continuously losing in the first round of the playoffs.

The Bengals have reached the postseason seven times under Lewis; five of the last six years being one of the most impressive stretches the franchise has ever had. But it means nothing when Cincinnati has been simply a speed bump for other teams looking to reach the divisional round. Lewis has that weight on his shoulders entering this season, and a loss to a division rival in Week 1 will light the fuse on him earlier than expected.

Everything is in place for the Bengals to reach the playoffs with a team capable of a deep run. The defense has bruising brutes all over the place and Andy Dalton seems to be Joe Flacco 2.0 as far as game managing goes. Lewis has coached under the cloud of mediocrity for years now, but if the season starts slow then the talk of whether this is his last year will pick up speed early.

https://fansided.com/2017/09/10/nfl-hot-seat-coaches-fired-week-1/

Josh, let me tell you a thing or two about continuity. For Mike Brown it's the be-all and and end-all. It's what makes life worth living. In his mind, why worry about minutiae like winning when you can have something as invaluable as continuity?

Given that Marvin Lewis supplies it in abundance, he will never be fired by Mike Brown. Period.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 11 2017, 6:38 PM 

Here's another from before the season started. Boomer thinks Marvin might retire which I think is a pipe dream. But it would not be the same as being fired.

Boomer Esiason has heard rumblings about Marvin Lewis retiring
Larry Brown - Larry brown Sports - September 7, 2017

Marvin Lewis may not remain the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals for the long-term future. In fact, former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason says he has heard rumblings about Lewis potentially retiring.

During this week’s episode of “Inside the NFL” on Showtime, the crew of analysts were discussing coaches on the hot seat. Lewis was on the list, leading Esiason to say he has heard the coach may consider retiring after the season.

“Marvin Lewis — last year of his contract — he may retire at the end of the year,” Esiason said.

Esiason then pointed out how Lewis being in the final year of his contract is an unusual position for a coach.

“Very few coaches go into the final year of their contract. It would only be if Marvin retired. I’ve heard rumblings about that. I don’t want to speak for Marvin, but I think that’s one of the reasons you would go into a season without a contract extension.”

Lewis turns 59 later this month and has been Cincinnati’s coach since 2003. And while he’s brought stability and success to a previously downtrodden franchise, one big knock on him is that he hasn’t won a playoff game. The team has reached the playoffs seven times under Lewis (including four AFC North titles), but they’ve lost their first playoff game each time.

Lewis was said to be on the hot seat during a poor season for Cincinnati last year, so it makes sense that that sentiment would continue to this year. Him retiring would seemingly make for an easy transition to a new coach.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/boomer-esiason-marvin-lewis-retire-bengals/392935

Give this one to the entire Inside the NFL crew, I guess.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 8:37 PM 

This is going to be be so tedious.

NFL: Is Sean Payton On the Hot Seat Heading Into 2017?
Jimmie Kaylor - Sports Cheat Sheet - September 11, 2017

t may look glamorous, but in reality, coaching in the National Football League is not for the faint of heart. NFL coaches regularly put in 20-hour workdays; they must manage some of the biggest egos in the world; and while their salaries are nothing to scoff at, job security simply doesn’t exist for the vast majority of them. It’s common to see a coach get fired after only one or two seasons on the job. In fact, this happens almost every year. ...

Marvin Lewis

Bengals’ head coach Marvin Lewis has won a lot of games (118 to be exact) during his 14 seasons in Cincinnati. Unfortunately for Lewis and the Bengals, none of those wins have come in the postseason. As a result, Lewis firmly entrenched on the hot seat.

Our guess: Lewis needs to guide the Bengals to a postseason victory in 2017 to save his job.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-is-sean-payton-coaching-to-save-his-job-in-2017.html/?a=viewall

Bad guess. Try factoring in who the owner is. Mike Brown will never...

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 8:45 PM 

On and on it will go...

NFL Hot Seat: Bengals, Colts feel fallout from Week 1
Dan Salem - Fan Sided - September 12, 2017

The NFL Hot Seat is on fire after only one week of games. The Bengals’ Marvin Lewis and Colts’ Chuck Pagano missed the memo.

It doesn’t take long for the NFL hot seat to start smoking. The fallout from Week 1 is huge, as the Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts played really poor football games. But they weren’t the only teams that came up small.

Two brothers from New York, Dan Salem and Todd Salem, debate the NFL Hot Seat in today’s NFL Sports Debate.

Todd Salem

Is it finally time to put Marvin Lewis at the head of the coaches’ hot seat? He has been on the periphery of the group for a while now. But the Cincinnati Bengals looked like the worst team in the NFL in Week 1. Though it’s only been one game, Lewis is the second-longest tenured coach in the sport and has yet to find any success beyond the regular season. That is a deathly combination.

Most coaches are given a few years to develop something. Lewis has been given more than a decade. If 2017 is another bad year, shouldn’t this be the end of the line? Most of the time, I am of the opinion that one week shouldn’t matter in the large scheme of a career. But the surrounding details make this one week for Lewis vitally impactful. ...

Dan Salem

Its sad but true. The NFL Hot Seat is fire red and scalding. Half the league is winless after Week 1 and many quarterbacks looked terribly awful, but only a couple of coaches are firmly on the hot seat. As a New York Jets fan, I’m proud to say that my team was far and away not the worst. Not by a long shot. The Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts hit both bulls-eyes, managing to both play awful and defy pre-season expectations.

Marvin Lewis’ job is in serious jeopardy. He likely would be out of a job if he was with a different football team, but the Bengals have continued to keep him as their head coach. Multiple people in the media are already calling for him to be fired. I see no way that Cincinnati is good this year. Their offensive line has too many holes. Lewis is on the hot seat and will not survive the season. ...

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/09/12/nfl-coaching-fallout-week-1-colts-bengals/

No, it's the Salem sibs who missed a memo. The one about Mike Brown never firing Marvin Lewis. Oh, brother.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 9:05 PM 

Look at this. A certain former SI scribe keeps ascribing heat to our head coach, and he's the one who keeps changing jobs. See: Banks, Don. The Curse of Marvin's Hot Seat strikes again.

Week 1 Snap Judgments
Don Banks - Patriots.com - Sunday, September 10, 2017 7:35 PM EDT

My doubts about the Bengals were borne out in Week 1. The best quarterback in the league who’s never won anything that matters, aka, Andy Dalton, had four interceptions, including a horrible one in the end zone (C.J. Mosley) when the game was still very much in doubt. Three of his picks came in the first half, and the fourth turnover came on the first Bengals drive of the second half, in the red zone.

Dalton finished 16 of 31 for 170 yards, with those four interceptions and one fumble, and was roundly booed by the frustrated Cincinnati throng. He even responded to a fourth-and-5 situation in the fourth quarter by throwing the ball away when pressured. That’s as good as another turnover.

For one week at least, Bad Andy was back, bringing shivers from those who predicted the Bengals would return to the playoffs (not me). And the hot seat that Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis is working on this season just got exponentially hotter. Oh, and can’t wait for the Texans at Bengals game on Thursday night. That one could be epic, with the over-under for combined turnovers set at 15.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/09/10/week-1-snap-judgments

Where's Banks working these days? Is he like a free-lancer? This thread, after all, was kind-of dedicated him, so we should be curious. Anyway, give it up, Don. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis. Never, ever, ever.

< Previous Page 15 6 7 8 9 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return