<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: The Perpetual Marvin Lewis Hot Seat Roundup

No score for this post
July 19 2017, 6:47 PM 

Has it really been six months since we've visited this topic? ESPN's NFL nation gives us a threefer.

AFC North Q&A: Who is on hottest seat in division?
ESPN.com staff - ESPN Sports - Jul 12, 2017

Our AFC North writers examine which player, coach or front-office executive is on the hottest seat in the division.

Jeremy Fowler, Pittsburgh Steelers reporter: Has to be Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. His number of playoff wins (zero) hovers over Paul Brown Stadium like a southwest Ohio cloud. He's entering a contract year without the promise of a new deal, and though his consistency is admirable -- five straight playoff berths from 2011-15 should not go overlooked -- overcoming a spotty offensive line will prove challenging in 2017. Baltimore coach John Harbaugh needs to re-establish himself after one winning season in four tries, but his Super Bowl pedigree creates goodwill. Don't look now, but Browns owner Jimmy Haslam seems poised to wait out the Hue Jackson-Sashi Brown regime. In 2017, Lewis has the most to gain or lose in the AFC North.

Jamison Hensley, Baltimore Ravens reporter: Lewis. Some can argue that the NFL's second-longest-tenured coach has been on the hot seat for the past couple of years. But Lewis' current situation is the very definition of it. He's in the final year of his contract. He's coming off a 6-9-1 season. And he hasn't won a playoff game in his 14 years in Cincinnati. Still, no one should forget about what the Bengals were like in the 12 seasons before Lewis' arrival. Cincinnati totaled nine double-digit-loss seasons and produced a 55-137 record (.286). With Lewis, the Bengals have reached the playoffs seven times and have a 118-103-3 mark (.533).

[...]

Katherine Terrell, Cincinnati Bengals reporter: Lewis. Jackson certainly can't feel comfortable after winning only one game last season, but the Browns have pledged their commitment to him. Lewis is entering his 15th season, this time without a contract extension in the works. The Bengals' 0-7 record in the playoffs under him certainly looms large, and there will be a lot of pressure this season for him to finally get the team that elusive playoff victory. If the Bengals take another step back, it's not out of the question that Lewis and the team part ways.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/91491/afc-north-qa-who-is-on-the-hottest-seat-in-the-division-3

Katherine Terrell, hang your head in shame. Who do you think you are, Coley Harvey? It's just terrible when a Bungles beat writer pretends this is a normal franchise. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 3:26 PM 

Here's one from the end of May. We can see who's carrying the torch passed off from Don Banks at SI. See: Burke, Chris.

NFL coaches under pressure: Whose jobs are at risk heading into the 2017 season?
Chris Burke - SI.com - Wednesday May 31st, 2017

The Jets may hit rock bottom this season, but will that lead to a complete front-office cleanout? The Bengals certainly value stability, but when is enough enough for Marvin Lewis? These coaches' jobs are not safe.

Leeway is not a luxury afforded most NFL coaches. Even when a roster has to be built from the ground up, there is a finite number of losses ownership and a front office will accept before growing a bit anxious to try something new.

Which coaches are running low on time, as the 2017 season nears? The early hot seat watch.

[...]

Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals value stability, to say the least, and Lewis has delivered 118 wins, seven playoff trips and four division titles since taking over in 2003. He also still has yet to claim a postseason victory. When is enough, enough? Cincinnati did have a run of five straight playoff berths going until last season’s 6-9-1 slip up, but that letdown may have depleted whatever remaining good vibes Lewis had built up.

Hot Seat status: Scorching

http://coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRankingNFL.htm

Burke has Marvin alone in his hottest category, with the second hottest being "scalding." So much for that. If you'll recall, Banks succumbed the Curse of The Marvin Hot Seat last year, losing his own job while the Bungles coach stayed put. Scribes would do well to take note. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis who's as safe as safe can be.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 5:46 PM 

Here's one from earlier in the week.

PFT preseason power rankings No. 21: Cincinnati Bengals
Charean Williams - Pro Football Talk - July 15, 2017, 3:00 PM EDT

[...]

Coaching thermometer: It’s 212 degrees. Boiling. Marvin Lewis, the Bengals head coach since 2003, enters the final year of his contract for the first time since 2010. He has received a series of one-year extensions in recent years but not this year. It might be now or never for Lewis to win a playoff game in Cincinnati.

[...]

How they can prove us wrong: The offensive line is better than expected, allowing Joe Mixon to run for 1,000 yards. A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert stay healthy, allowing Andy Dalton to pass for his career averages of 3,700 yards and 24 touchdowns. The defense plays like it did in the second half of last season when it allowed 15.3 points per game, but gets more sacks (33) and takeaways (20) than last season. And rookie kicker Jake Elliott, whom the Bengals drafted in the fifth round, doesn’t miss six extra points and seven field goals like the team’s kickers did last season. All of that likely needs to happen for the Bengals to make the playoffs, but winning a playoff game for the first time since 1990 might be the only way Lewis earns an extension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/15/pft-preseason-power-rankings-no-21-cincinnati-bengals/

What, now it's boiling rather than scorching? It's actually room temperature. Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis, playoff victory or no playoff victory. Scribes stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the one-off quality that is the team's owner.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Elephant in the Room

No score for this post
July 20 2017, 6:50 PM 

Is the OL. From PFT "Biggest negative change: The Bengals offensive line wasn’t good last season, and it lost its two best players – Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler – in free agency. That leaves former first-round pick Cedric Ogbuehi, who was benched at right tackle last season, to start at left tackle, and Jake Fisher, a second-round pick in 2015, to start at right tackle. Andre Smith returns after a year in Minnesota but will move to right guard. If the line can’t protect Andy Dalton or open holes for Joe Mixon, the Bengals are going nowhere in 2017."

And there you have it. If the bungs go 6-10 or worse and Dalton is out before Halloween - might enough boo birds come forth and make it so miserable that mikey might make a change? Stay tuned.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Devil's advocate

No score for this post
July 24 2017, 7:04 PM 

I forgot to put in the previous thread - what is the revenues start dropping? How many poor seasons like last year and the ones to follow and the revenues start dropping 10 - 20% per year will it take before mikey acts? I think in the 2002 disaster under Lebeau the rev's were dropping precipitously and mikey was forced to act.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 24 2017, 8:09 PM 

The memory of the five straight playoff appearances (and six out of seven years) will linger for a very ling time. With Duke Tobin hanging around they will always seem to be a year away from bouncing back. Look at how the sheep were bleating over that last draft.

Mike Brown has everything he ever wanted right now. The family owns the team. As long as he's not actually losing money, Marvin lewis is hanging around. As long as he wants to.

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
July 25 2017, 6:26 PM 

Add Doc to the hot seat hall of shame. Lol. Surprising that he's covered the Bungs for the enquirer for this long and still doesn't know Mikey well enough to know that he'll never fire Marvin. This one shocked me i will admit, but it was funny.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/doc-mike-brown-sticks-guns/103991532/

"If Marvin Lewis' team flops this year, he will be fired."

This message has been edited by Bungleistic from IP address 50.25.56.252 on Jul 25, 2017 6:42 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
July 25 2017, 8:20 PM 

Thanks for the heads-up, Bungleistic. I would have never bothered to look at Daugherty's article, so sure was I of his cleared-headed view of Mike Brown. It's a sad, sad day when P-Doc (of all people!) claims that Marvin Lewis is on the hot seat. Did he forget that he writes for the Cincinnati Enquirer rather than the National Enquirer?

Doc: Mike Brown sticks to his guns
Paul Daugherty - Cincinnati Enquirer - 4:08 p.m. ET July 25, 2017

[...]

When asked about the fate of Marvin Lewis, whose one-year contract has not been extended, Brown said, “I plan to proceed at my own pace and my own way. I’m not going to be delving into it publicly."

[...]

The Bengals are on the back edge of an era. If Marvin Lewis’ team flops this year, he will be fired. What’s the Bengals definition of flop? If Mike knows, he isn’t saying.

“A lot of coaches are in that situation," Brown said. “It’s not something we haven’t gone through before. It’s probably extra stress on him. That may be a good thing."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/doc-mike-brown-sticks-guns/103991532/

This isn't a hot seat situation, folks. It's hot seat theatre. I will admit that I'm surprised that our favorite owner would even bother to fake it. And fakery is indeed what it is, as Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis, flops, flip-flops, or no flops.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
July 26 2017, 2:57 PM 

I know in the 2002 season attendance was down and I wonder if mikey actually made money that year or how many of the bad years of the lost decade mikey made money. The main theme here is making money. How many bad seasons where the team loses money will it take for mikey to act?

PS. The Reds are in a situation where their attendance is dropping year by year due to poor teams. I wonder what their P/L statements look like now as it appears they are in a downward spiral ?

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 174.101.146.174 on Jul 26, 2017 3:01 PM

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
July 26 2017, 3:16 PM 

Psycho, I still say if they lose this year, he could get fired. That will be two consecutive losing seasons after years of consecutive playoff appearances that ended in failure. Now I don't think he'll do it because he wants to but rather because the fans will not buy his product if he fails again this year. That said, it may take another year after this year of failure, but I would doubt it because there wasn't a contract renewal. We'll see if I'm right at the end of the year. If they have a mediocre 8-8 season with injuries such as to Andy, he could come back. If they make the playoffs and lose, he could come back. If they bomb again this season, I think he could go.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
August 4 2017, 7:20 PM 

Katie, it would take a complete personality change in Mike Brown for that to happen. This is the guy who feeds the media faux turtle soup at media day every single year. Because, as you know, it would break continuity to give the scribes edible food. What would life be like without the annual griping from Daugherty, Dehner, and Ozwarski?

By the way, whenever you see a scribe asking about Marvin Lewis's hot seat status, you know it's not a rhetorical question. The answer, 90% of the time, is yes.

Marvin Lewis: Last Contract With Bengals?
Marvin Lewis is yet to sign a new contract with the Cincinnati Bengals. Is there going to be a changing of the guard?

Zach Peterson - Cover32 - July 21, 2017

Since 2003, Marvin Lewis, head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, has been to the postseason seven times. Each time had the same result: an early exit in the wild card round. With Lewis entering the last season of his contract, the question remains: is Marvin Lewis on the hot seat?

[...]

It is unfortunate that Lewis is in the spotlight for his inability to move the team to the divisional round. However, he does have an impressive track record with the Bengals. The team is scoring more frequently, the offense and defense are improving, off-field issues are dwindling, and cap management is successful. He is also the second longest tenured coach behind Bill Belichick. That alone is an impressive feat considering how often coaching positions open up. Lewis has taken a team in shambles and created a solid foundation to build upon. But if he does not pass the wild card round, Mike Brown will have to find someone else who can.

http://cover32.com/2017/07/21/marvin-lewis-last-contract-bengals/

No, no, no. There will be no changing of the guard because Mike Brown will never fire Marvin Lewis. The scribes will get real food before that ever happens.

< Previous Page 14 5 6 7 8 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return