<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

AJ McCarron - Lemme Outta Here

January 2 2017 at 3:57 PM
No score for this post
Kati  (Login KaBTK)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 74.215.90.33

He wants to start somewhere. That said, there is 1 year left on his contract, and he makes $735,413. That's not a lot of money for Mike Brown to pay for a very good backup. If Mike's Queen Bee Andy goes down, then Mike Brown will want a good, serviceable backup. QB is one position Mike Brown cares about. I admit I'll miss him, but I totally understand why he wants out.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/01/02/cincinnati-bengals-alabama-crimson-tide-quarterback-aj-mccarron-ready-for-a-trade-chance-to-play/96082642/
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 74.215.90.33 on Jan 2, 2017 3:57 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: AJ McCarron - Lemme Outta Here

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 4:42 PM 

So the question is still, who is interested in McCarron?

We like him for what he did in 2015 filling in for Dalton, but I don't think that fans of other teams are impressed.

Hue Jackson supposedly likes him, but he has the first pick in the draft and another first rounder. And division rivals don't trade quarterbacks.

McCarron doesn't have a cannon for an arm and isn't a big physical specimen. I suspect that teams would rather take their chances in the draft.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

dacow
(Login dacow)

McCarron

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 5:15 PM 

Good or better arm than Dalton. Has more swagger. Not as good at check down and progressions and more riverboat gambler. Probably better long ball. Not as functional in offense but bigger play capability. Big game swagger much better than Andy.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 5:30 PM 

My dead grandmother has more swagger than Andy Dalton and to me it is the reason he will never take the bumblers deep into the playoffs,very rarely beat the schittsburghs and New England's of the NFL.Absolutely zero killer instinct

This message has been edited by 72360 from IP address 108.77.92.13 on Jan 2, 2017 5:32 PM

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 5:32 PM 

Higher ceiling lower floor than Dalton, Candy Dalton has proven he is not a big game QB, trade Dalton and roll with AJ, rebuilding anyway so why stick with Dalton?
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 5:34 PM 

There's no way they will trade Dalton, no way Mikey would give up that continuity at the QB position.

This message has been edited by Bungleistic from IP address 50.25.46.36 on Jan 2, 2017 5:35 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 2 2017, 5:56 PM 

The following teams need a good stating quarterback:
- Cleveland
- New York Jets
- Denver
- Chicago
- San Francisco

The following teams are feeling pretty iffy about their starter:
- Jacksonville
- Washington
- Minnesota
- Los Angeles
- Miami

The following teams have aging starters that they know they will have to replace within a few short years:
- New England
- San Diego
- New Orleans
- Arizona

Forget about AJ McCarron for a second. How many of these franchises are looking for a guy like Andy Dalton? We all know the answer - 0.0%.

What percentage of their fan bases would like to see a guy come in who's in the Dalton mold? Given the variety of people out there, let's be generous and say 2.0%.

Dacow, I pretty much agree with your assessment. Dalton keeps improving with the long ball, and McCarron will get better progressing through his reads. They're basically the same quarterback. McCarron has more swagger and Dalton has a lot more experience.

So who wants to trade for less experienced version of Andy Dalton? And what good would it do to keep the less-experienced guy?

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
January 3 2017, 5:14 AM 

To clarify with Washington they like Cousins, but they gambled by not signing him long term so he may be too expensive for them now. If I am someone like the Broncos or Texans I go after Cousins. All of these teams mentioned other than the Redskins would see Dalton as an upgrade at QB, but to an original point it is not likely thst any of these teams other than the one coached by Hue Jackson will see AJ as an upgrade or any kind of higher ceiling type. If the Bengals are rebuilding they should make the QB changet and will get much better return for Dalton. If they trade McCarron they maybe get a 3rd round pick back at BEST.

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

I really think the Bengals boldest possible move would be trading Dalton

No score for this post
January 3 2017, 4:44 PM 

Nobody has ever traded a QB at the stage of Dalton's career but I think it would be the boldest possible move.

In advanced passing stats at Pro Football Reference McCarron's performance last year was about as good as Dalton's career average. Last year was a huge outlier for Dalton. He's already "over the hill" in football years and he's basically been - even taking last year into the averages - a slightly above average QB.

McCarron is the same guy physically but with more cockiness. He already led one late game winning drive in a playoff game if not for a stupid fumble prone running back and some hotheads on defense.

If they dealt Dalton and signed McCarron to a team friendly extension it would free up $$$. And it likely would yield a first day draft pick and more.

A bold team would think about it. The Bengals are the opposite of bold.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 7:04 AM 

Houston would take him. So would Jacksonville.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 9:16 AM 

Absolutely my point. If their gut feeling is that McCarron is replacement level to Dalton either in 2017 or at least soonish (as in 2019 by the latest) then heck ya you pull the trigger while the guy is getting paid less. Again, the Redskins as as example I'm sure would love to have moved RGIII during an era when he had trade value and would have loved to sign Cousins to a much more team/cap friendly contract. The difference being that the teams that spend aggressively to keep their own or sign others need every ounce of cap space available (see: the Steelers and Cowboys seemingly EVERY year enter the offseason over the cap on with minimal space) while the Bengals quite honestly could afford to give AJ a pay raise and keep Andy or pay for a veteran Matt Moore, Shaun Hill, or John McCown type who may even be better than AJ anyways and could compete for the job head to head or at least would be a back stop if AJ faulters.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 9:42 AM 

I think I'd like to reverse the process - accelerate the process with McCarron and when the time comes get rid of Dalton. Dalton proved to be a reasonably good QB but not one to take you to the promised land. I think McCarron has more raw talent. Also think of all the $$$ you would save. I would think that would spur mikey to do something like that as he loves saving $$$.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 11:00 AM 

AJ has far more upside than Josh McCown,Mat Moore,or Shaun Hill. I truly believe the bumblers should trade Dalton while they can,just hopefully not in the division.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 5:57 PM 

That's debatable.

AJ was a 5th round pick for a reason. Last year I reviewed EVERY starting NFL qb and their draft level, and I believe that only Tony Romo (undrafted) Tom Brady (6th round) and maybe one or two others of the Brian Hoyer ilk.

The only reason I see upside is age, but I see it as totally believable that AJ McCarron starts less than 10 games in the NFL in his career. The only ones who think anything of him are Alabama fans, Bengals fans, his mother, his woman, and Hue Jackson.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return