<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
LCD
(no login)

I won't linger here long.

No score for this post
January 20 2017, 7:52 PM 

T,

I think the people smashing windows and the like were "black bloc" members. They're a bunch of young anarchist idiots, and they seem to target stores that are part of multinational corporations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_bloc

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

UKBengal
(Login ukbengal)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: Friday 20th January (non football topic*)

No score for this post
January 21 2017, 12:13 AM 

Pyshco

I didn't know the Churchill bust had been returned to the Oval office. To be honest I didn't know it had been removed. So what's the significance of that?

And now it's happened, well my Saturday morning feels pretty much the same.

Small side note: they played on TV the old Matthew Broderick 'War Games' film last night. Fun film in it's day. Not sure if there was supposed to a hidden message by the schedulers.

Homey
(Login HomerSaysDoh)

No score for this post
January 21 2017, 6:20 AM 

Wyche, I won't take the bet, like I said, never criticized O for it because it is a beast beyond anyones control. As far as the double standard you propose, have to disagree with you there. After Bush's terms were over, all the talk was about the 8T debt, yet, this year, I didn't hear one mention of the 18T debt (or whatever it is now). O's fault? no, but the media dictates what the people hype about, and they would never hit the alarms on anything after an 8 year run by their party.

If it were a Repub who was in office the last 8 years, if everything was the same, the talking points would be the record people on food stamps, the record debt, he11, they may even complain about the porous borders.

T, welcome to the dark side. Can you convince Troopster that the Right does not hold a monopoly on victim, false outrage?

This message has been edited by HomerSaysDoh from IP address 66.195.54.254 on Jan 21, 2017 6:21 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 21 2017, 2:41 PM 

UK, my impression is that conservative Americans think more highly of Churchill than most Brits. That's why I was getting a little chuckle out the whole situation. Obama sends Chruchill back to the UK. Trump gets it back. Brits yawn.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
January 21 2017, 10:21 PM 

I think maybe you guys are using the words "deficit" and "debt" interchangeably. They are two very different things.

Anyway, I am one of the most hated animals in America. I'm caucasian, I'm male and I'm a Christian. The Romans fed my ancestors to the lions. Nero burned "us" alive just to keep his garden lit at night. So, who do I see about my reparations?

And since most of the slaves brought over here from West Africa were sold to the slave masters by black African slave owners shouldn't those guys have to pay some of these reparations too?

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Fulcher
(Login Fulcher-the-Vulture)

No score for this post
January 22 2017, 4:02 PM 

I hope he does well as president for the country. I agree with a lot of what he wants to do but have different views then Trump on immigration. America was founded by immigrants and now we want to block them from coming in? I'm a republican and didn't vote for Trump cause of his arrogance and temper. If he wants to get along with the media I don't see it As being smart to send your press secretary out on day 1 to yell at the media and have your press secretary state lies. Trump needs to understand most people don't trust our media anymore and I take everything they say with a grain of salt. To me in a large way all outlets love to spread fake news and journalism is truly dead in this country and all you have now is political leaning news source who post news based on their political views instead of facts. Trump needs to stop worrrying about what the media says cause at the end of the day he will be judged by what he does and not what the media says.

Fulcher

No score for this post
January 24 2017, 7:13 PM 

Was glad to hear from the press secretary today that Trump will not do away with DACA. I believe in immigration and am glad he stepped back and thought about his Rhetoric.

Fulcher

No score for this post
January 24 2017, 7:22 PM 

Consider myself a true conservative and believe in the belief immigration makes us better and we were founded as a melting pot.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

This is written on Ellis Island and what I will always believe as a true conservative who believes as our forefathers we are better together. This is also what the Statue of Liberty stands for.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
January 25 2017, 5:24 AM 

I haven't heard any outcry about immigration from almost anyone. The public outcry has always been about ILLEGAL immigration. I just don't don't get why that distinction is so hard for people to understand.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
January 26 2017, 6:49 AM 

Part of his rhetoric of course has been illegal immigration (i.e. why he needs to build the wall), but immigration from Syria for instance is something else that Trump as well as many in the GOP spoke-up against. And their immigration will have/would have been totally legal.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
January 27 2017, 10:00 AM 

Sam, I think that Syria thing is a refugee situation rather than an immigration issue.. They're not sneaking into the country they're being transported here in droves. Fortunately I think I read Trump was going to place a 6 month suspension on the whole mess while they figure out an orderly and safe way to continue.

My opinion on that is that the U.N. should create refugee safe zones inside their own countries (Syria and Iraq) and stop, or curtail the influx of refugees. Maybe they can prove they're good for something other than bashing Israel.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 28 2017, 11:13 AM 

JB and Sam --

I recently finished reading We Wanted Workers by the economist and Cuban immigrant George Brojas. Here are some key facts about immigration:

- US immigration has added $2.1 trillion to the GDP, but 98% of that has gone to the immigrants themselves. That leaves $50 billion in economic benefits to the native population, but all of that is likely offset by welfare payouts. Thus immigration has been "a wash" in terms of monetary gains for the people who were already here.

- All of that comes from Borjas' best estimates. He talks at length about methodology and how changes in methods can lead to very different results. He strenuously makes the point that he cannot manipulate his models to come out with the huge economic gains that are claimed by many.

- His modelling has also provided the "key insight" that the influx of people has also resulted in a huge redistribution of wealth within the country. Huge as in $500 billion or a half trillion. The wealth has moved from the formerly working poor (those most like the majority of the immigrants) to corporations and the wealthy.

That is why legal immigration is also an issue. It certainly isn't going to go away now that Trump in president.

As a libertarian I'm not supposed to think about a downside to freedom of movement. There it is, though.

Here's a link to one review of the book. It's written by a Conservative which you may or may not appreciate, but I think it nicely covers the bases.

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/the-hidden-costs-of-immigration/

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
January 28 2017, 4:08 PM 

I loved this sentence.

The studies most widely circulated in academia, journalism and government are marked, Borjas believes, by “arbitrary conceptual assumptions, questionable data manipulations, and a tendency to overlook inconvenient facts.”

And this one.

"......the University of California recently warned faculty in a memo that to call America a melting pot is to commit a “micro-aggression” against minorities."

I once read someone else who made this same claim. He said America should be viewed as the great Kaleidoscope rather than the great melting pot. I disagree with both the above conclusions because I think we are now seeing the results of that thinking. It has served to further divide America along racial, religious, gender, income and political lines. Once we are no longer passengers in the same boat (melting pot) we become factions of whatever serves only OUR group's needs, (kaleidoscope.)

I was impressed with the review. Thanks for posting it.

LCD
(no login)

Cincinnati mayor declares city a sanctuary

No score for this post
January 30 2017, 11:54 AM 

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return