<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Disassociation

February 4 2017 at 1:42 AM
No score for this post

OldSchooler  (Login oldschoolerfan)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 73.66.45.113

I've got a question for you all since the Bungles are in their annual offseason (it usually happens in late December/early January)...

When did you decide that you hated Mike Brown? What moment was it? What sticks in your mind the most about the anger you feel towards the 'Stain?

Back in '91? Maybe the 80s? Maybe recently? There are so many to chose from.

Go ahead. Pick one, if you can. wink.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Hook
(Login TrooperHook)

Re: Disassociation

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 3:30 AM 

I wish I could recall the exact year.

When the sidebar stories reved up in the early 2000s that pointed out that Mikey had no credibility as a General Manager, I saw him respond in a TV interview. His response was smugly dismissive.

He claimed to have the same football expertise then as he had in the 80s. No doubt that was a truthful statement.

The arrogance was his inference that he had something to do with the 80s teams. Daddy might have let him pick up dirty jocks after practice. But Paul didn't let his doltish son manage the team.

I didn't and don't hate Mikey. But from that moment, I transformed from a Bengal fan, and I've enjoyed Mikey's failures ever since.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 9:03 AM 

For me it was probably in the 1993 or 1994 time frame and I was driving home from Columbus maybe on a Monday nite and the bungs were getting thumped miserably by Pitt. It was then after 3 or so bad seasons under Dhula that I realized this organization under mikey didn't have a clue on what to do and put a competitive team on the field. Obviously things got worse that that going forward to 2002.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 11:41 AM 

I was too young and stupid in the mid-1990s (basically middle school and high school age) so I believed in their Dead Cat bounces and always looked forward to next season. So I will pinpoint after 1997. Boomer Esiason was solid in 1997 and the Bungs had a respected record, but Mikey basically forced him out!?!? And replaced him with Neil O'Donnell of Superbowl XXX fame!? And the funny thing is, Neil was not that bad, so he proved me wrong, only to shove Neil to the curve in place of AKILLI SMITH! I did not like that move from the get-go.

Also remember during that era two expansion teams (Jacksonville and Carolina) had already become NFL powers. I kind of came of age and realized that the Bengals were the jokes of pro sports because of the circumstances (the Clippers, Lightning, and Pirates may have been worse circa 1999, but the NFL gave bad teams, even then, a chance to improve instantly).

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 9:38 PM 

I started to a little during the stadium nonsense but then the tax increase got voted in and as a carpetbagger fan, I was all "well, they voted for it, so I won't feel too bad about it."

The more concrete "you are an incompetent owner and this team will never win with you at the helm" moment was the drafting of Akili Smith. The funny thing is: it's not like the Bengals were the only team that f'ed up that day. But turning down ALL of those picks for a one-season wonder that I knew wasn't going to be a good QB right from the start? More than anything, it really lifted the veil off of the whole thing and showed you that Mikey wasn't really going to let any personnel that might know what they were doing overrule any of his inept and ill-founded urges. It just set me off.

As a fan, I've never really forgiven Mikey for that one.

BMN

Lumina
(Login 72360)

F U Clown

No score for this post
February 5 2017, 12:08 PM 

Of all the arrogant and idiotic moves the guy has made and continues to make and have the balls to cut yourself a salary of a dollar let alone a million is probably the reason I hate him most.Lets face it the guy is clueless when it comes to managing people and completely incompetent when it comes to managing a football team.The fact that the whole clown brown family sits high on the hog due to the prosperity of the NFL and one Paul Brown makes me want to puke.

That being said and if I had to pick one reason,I would go with the episode in his childhood when he jumped off the roof trying to be Superman and tied a cape around his neck instead of a rope

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
February 5 2017, 4:35 PM 

There wasn't a single moment for me. It happened in increments. There was the offseason in the early 90's when MB didn't fire any of the coaches, even though they had finished a string of horrendous years. There was the time in the late 90's where he wouldn't re-sign Boomer Esiason to keep him out of retirement. There was the time when he passed up a big trade offer to select Akili Smith and didn't even make a counteroffer to the Saints. There was the time he wouldn't fire Bruce Coslett to put him out of his misery.

I could go on and on. I was at full-on disgust mode when the Bungs lost to the Browns 51-45, a team that had no kind of effective offense in years. That win propelled the Browns to their only good offensive year in that last 17, since they were reconstituted.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
February 5 2017, 5:09 PM 

Good one psycho. To me that game marked the end of their 2005-2006 run. The ending of 2006 seemed flukey (the botched PAT vs Denver then the OT loss to Pittsburgh in Cowher's last game), so 2007 with Baltimore being down, Pittsburgh being a mystery, and the Browns pegged for maybe last in the NFL, things were looking up. I believe that the Bungs had a good week 1 win, while the Browns week 1 loss was so bad they traded away their starting QB after that week and debuted Derek Andersen vs the Bungs. Then as you put it giving up 51 points to Derek Andersen and 43 year old (give or take a year) Jamal Lewis was somehow more demoralizing than any of the Steelers losses on the Denver loss in 2006. Things just kind of snowballed from there for that group.

dacow
(Login dacow)

Well....

No score for this post
February 6 2017, 8:28 AM 

...I remember hearing from my car speakers, Mike Brown hired David Shula as head coach. That did it. Right then and there.

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

Hatred of Mike Brown has grown over time

No score for this post
February 8 2017, 7:47 AM 

Picking David Shula as head coach was a starter, the guy wasn't qualified for that job and that was obvious on the day it happened. But it's basically been all downhill from there, with the exception of my falling for the head fake of hiring Marvin Lewis and landing Carson Palmer (at least during 2005-2006 I mistakenly thought there was hope)

Keeping Marvin Lewis as head coach as he sets, by far, the record of the coach with the longest tenure who has never won a playoff game... that made me hate Mike Brown even more than the 1990s. A lot of fans in Cincy are just happy that "it's not the 1990s" but to me when you squander a pretty talented roster with Atkins, Whit, Green, Burfict, that's actually a far greater crime than drafting sucky players like KiJana Carter.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Synonymous Bengal
(Login LoyaltyClause)

No score for this post
February 12 2017, 7:45 PM 

Brown's treatment of Sam Wyche (lying in saying he resigned, when in fact Brown fired him), Carson Palmer, & Willie Anderson to save money, or save face.

This message has been edited by LoyaltyClause from IP address 208.102.87.83 on Feb 12, 2017 7:48 PM

OldSchooler
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Stubborness or Just Boneheaded?

No score for this post
February 18 2017, 11:40 PM 

I know I've told this story before...back in 1991, I was 18 or 19 years old. It was afternoon when I headed back to my dad's "ranch" for some relaxation. I was finished with classes for the day.

When I reached home, my dad said to me:

"Whelp. It's over. You should probably start liking another NFL Team, son."

"Why's that?"

Whips out the Dayton Daily News

"Paul Brown died today. His idiot son, Mike Brown will take over Operation of the Cincinnati Bungles. He's a total f*cking moron, son. Do yourself a favor. Forget the Bungles. They are nothing but heartache from here until Mike Brown dies or sells the team. They will never win anything while he is in charge."

"Really? I thought everybody has a fair chance to win the Super Bowl?"

"They do. Just not the Bungles. Even Paul Brown was a cheapskate. But with Mike Brown--during one of the Bungles' Super Bowl runs--one member of the press asked Mike Brown what his experience with the Super Bowl has been...his reply was 'WE LOST MONEY'. That's an idiot, son. A guy that owns an NFL Team should care not of money--but should want his team to compete for a championship year-in and year-out. Mike Brown cares for none of this...but only for the 'Bottom Line'..."

"Why the hell would he do that? Why wouldn't he want to win?"

"Because that's the way the Brown Family is. They only care about finances and how much they make off season ticket holders. They care nothing about winning."

I shook my head because I was naive. I really wanted to believe that every NFL Owner wanted to win a Super Bowl every year. Really never thought that Owners could possibly have motives because THEY WERE ALREADY RICH ENOUGH.

But they do. Mike Brown is one of these a$$holes. So WAS the Bidwells. The Fords. Art Modell, to some degree. Both f*cking idiots in LA....and both Bay Area Owners (Al Davis--not his son....but the son is made from the same cloth for the most part).

So, I hung on. The Bungles on 700 WLW was all I knew. I couldn't possibly like Cleveland....and I had my reasons for hating every other team...I started looking around for other suitors. But Dallas? No way. They won too much. So did SF. Who else? Everybody else sucked or was too good. I thought the NO Saints were on the way up....but they didn't stand a chance in hell either thanks to their idiot owner (who has improved since the early 90s). The Aints and the Bungles had no real history--so I thought, maybe. Well, maybe the losing team signature was a parallel in their history(s). But I never considered another team for fanship.

....you know what happened in the 90s. Holy crap. Klingler. Pinata-Carter. Akillme. Us naive young fans then still believed....but if only we took the time to know what kind of d*ck Mike Brown truly is. Then we would have known that the Bungles didn't have a chance in hell. But wait...what about the Salary Cap...and what the modern NFL is now? Doesn't everybody have a chance now?

NO. Everybody not named Bungles, Chargers, Jets, Dolphins, Jaguars, 49ers, Raiders, Rams, Bears, Browns, Lions, Vikings, Chiefs, Texans, Redskins. They have a chance. The Bungles and teams like them? They do not stand a chance. Even today. But wait--isn't there Revenue Sharing and every team should have a chance? You would think so, but no.

Stepping back into the past for a spot to start Mikey Hating and stop thinking the Bungles had a chance? Wow. There are so many places where that could have happened. It could have happened when Mikey decided to draft Klingler and ignoring his offensive line. But nah. It could have been the Kijana Draft. But nah. The letting Boomer go and bringing in O'Donnell. Nah. Akillme Draft? Now we're getting somewhere.

I think it was the day I decided to buy tickets to go to a Bungles Game. My dad never went to an NFL Game. He thought it was too expensive. So I decided to give him a gift. I knew somebody who had extra tickets for a 1996 Game between the Bungles and Steelers at RiverFront Stadium. Both teams were really bad. It was the game (if you can recall) where Kordella ran it in to win it for the Steelers. The Steelers won that game....but that's not the point. The point was the CROWD. It was something like 80/20% Steelers to Bungles Fans.

THAT'S WHEN I KNEW THAT MIKE BROWN CARED NOT FOR HIS TEAM AND ONLY CARED ABOUT MONEY....and that's when my divestiture of the Bungles started for me. HOW IN THE F*CK DO YOU LET THAT MANY OPPOSING FANS INTO YOUR STADIUM. I might have seen 50/50....but 80% Steeler Fans? That's not giving a f*ck at all for your own fans or team. That's just making money. Plain and simple.

My dad--when we were even leaving the stadium after the game had this "I told ya so" look on his face. LOL--smartazz.

Then I got offered in 1999 or 2000 to go to a Miami/Bungles Game down at PBS. I was already done with the Bungles but the girl I was dating at the time decided that she needed to "change my crazy boyfriend's mind about the Bungles--and get him back in"....so the Dolphins were up with 2 minutes to go before halftime....I predicted that Akillme would turn the ball over for a "pick-6" to top it all off.

But no, it was even better...Akillme got sacked. Fumbled the ball like a little b*tch....and Jason Taylor picked it up and ran it back for 6.

That was the highlight of my decision to leave the Bungles in the dust....and the justification was verified by that event to the stadium. NO, I DIDN'T SPEND ONE F8CKING DIME WHILE I WAS AT PBS, due to knowing that my money was going to Mike F. Brown if I did.

After the loss, I tried to explain to my girlfriend what was happening to the Bungles and why she should give up....but some people don't wanna ever let go.

Just be glad you did....and now you can open up a beer on Sundays. Not worry....and just tune into some great entertainment to the Bungles losing in the fashion that they have been.

Great, great comedy.

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 73.66.45.113 on Feb 18, 2017 11:49 PM

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 4:32 PM 

Awesome post Falc, nice reads. That basically sums the whole thing up.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 4:35 PM 

Great post, Falc. That about sums all of this up lol.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return