<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Dumbest move?

February 19 2017 at 4:38 PM
No score for this post

Bungleistic   (Select Login Bungleistic)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 50.25.67.157

Aside from the "What made you hate Mike Brown?" question, I have my own question:

What do you think is the most dumbest/idiotic move this man has ever made while running the bungs? Just like the other question, lots of answers to chose from because he's such a dumba$$ that he makes dumb moves on a yearly basis. Heck, throw in a top 5 or top 10 idiotic moves if you want, doesn't have to be just one.

Unleash those opinions!

This message has been edited by Bungleistic from IP address 50.25.67.157 on Feb 19, 2017 4:40 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Re: Dumbest move?

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 6:44 PM 

Hiring Dave Shula. That man had 0 aptitude about how to coach an NFL team. Shula was basically a waiter in his dad's steakhouse and that's about it. I think that's where he is now.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

OldSchooler
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Question before I answer...

No score for this post
February 19 2017, 9:03 PM 

Did Dick LeBeau ever jump into the Ohio River after the "Guaranteed Win" Loss Game?

He said he would. Did he go back on his word?

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 6:30 AM 

This is a hard one.

One thought is "keeping Dave Shula for too long." However, in defense of Mikey and his thoughts, the 1995 Bengals had their first true Dead Cat Bounce of the MB era, finishing 7-9 after a 3-6 start, and again to MB's defense of bringing Shula back for 1996, the Bengals were competitive during their 3-6 start, and even could have hit 8-8 if not having to go to Cleveland for the Browns last ever home game (a game they were destined to win). So many of us, including a young version of me, saw this as a resurgence of sorts and were looking forward to 1996.
The argument can definitely be made though that Shula should not have made it to 1995. After all, during his first three seasons 1992-1994 his combined record was 11-37, good for a .229 win%. Off of the top of my head only comparable Mike Nolan (49ers) and Dom Capers (Texans) both brought back for a 4th season after 16-32 starts, but one of those was expansion. Even the other not successful expansion team during this era, the Cleveland Browns, fired their first coach after only two seasons. I almost never root for anyone to be fired, but in effect thanks to Mikey's patience/cheapness plus a Dead Cat Bounce kept Shula unnecessarily for a year and a half too long. Most teams other than maybe the Steelers make hiring mistakes, but most teams rectify those mistakes by seasons 2, 3, or 4. So again maybe in hindsight Mikey should have cut ties sooner, but those rosters were also awful. I'm not so sure a better coach could have done much better given Mikey's GM woes.

I will also excuse drafting Klingler, turning the franchise over to Klingler, drafting KiJana, and their other coaching hires. Again, even the best make mistakes. As wrong as their Klingler rationale was, it was a first time mistake. Kijana Carter was a draft bust, but that happens to and for EVERY team. It just hurts more when it is a top 5 pick. As for the coaching hires Mikey needed someone to try to win under his conditions, so I don't feel any reason to blame Coslett/Lebeau/Marvin for anything other than enabling Mikey to some extent.

So for me, it goes back to Akilli Smith, both drafting him and turning the franchise over to him. For 2 reasons: 1 it was a repeat mistake (like Klingler, he miscalculated the teams needs and instead of building from the inside out in a tough division, he again went with an offensive skill position, showing as much insight as a sheep in drafting for the team's needs). And 2, it may have torpedoed Dick Lebeau's head coaching career. He is arguably an NFL coaching great, and arguably the single best coordinator of all time. I think under better circumstances, he wins a lot more than he did. But having his balls cut off by Mikey's need to draft a QB then use thst QB undermined everything that Lebeau is about (ball control and defense). In another universe, the Bengals would have been building for Carson Palmer and would have been the team of the 2000s with a great coach in Lebeau, a confident young talented qb, and a nice roster with some defensive skill to go with Palmer's weapons at WR and RB. But of course other than drafting Palmer and some other skill that never happened.

The other inexcusable was drafting Chris Perry when they did. Again, not learning from mistakes. It was obvious where the 2005 Bengals needed to improve for 2006, and RB depth was not on the short list, espespecially when a back of that calibre is available on the final day of the draft. To some of us the 2006 season went caput on day 1 of the 2006 draft.

This message has been edited by wyche from IP address 72.196.144.110 on Feb 20, 2017 6:31 AM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Dick LeBeau

No score for this post
February 20 2017, 10:28 AM 

That was another bonehead move by mikey making LeBeau a HC. Dynamite DC but terrible HC but in all fairness he had to work for mikey arguably one of the worst GM's of all time at the time. He did say he would jump into the Ohio if his team won but it didn't happen. that year 2002 by the way was one of the worst in bungs history if not the worst.

http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=5155

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
February 25 2017, 7:41 AM 

I don't fault LeBeau when the head idiot in charge GM gives you a donkey and expects you to win the Kentucky Derby.Nope that one once again falls on the clown.

Selecting Akili Smith over the entire Saints draft was number one to me although if he had just tied that rope around his neck playing Superman when he was a kid.............

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return