<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

No Groundhogs Day This Year?

April 7 2017 at 12:21 AM
No score for this post
Katie  (Login KaBTK)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 45.59.44.60

Every year I document Groundhog's Day as Marvin receives his annual extension, but this year:

Bengals' Marvin Lewis: I don't anticipate extension before season

Katherine Terrell
ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Bengals coach Marvin Lewis doesn't foresee a new contract extension happening prior to the 2017 season, he told ESPN on Thursday.

Lewis is entering the final year of his contract. He and team owner Mike Brown agreed to a one-year extension around this time last offseason that he signed in May, but it doesn't look like that will be the case in 2017.
"I don't anticipate anything happening," Lewis said.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he doesn't anticipate a contract extension before the new season. Lewis has the most wins in franchise history but has not won a playoff game during his tenure. 

Although Lewis told the Cincinnati Enquirer in January that both sides would like to agree to an extension at some point, he said on Thursday that everyone is fine with the current situation. A lack of a new contract doesn't appear to have strained his relationship with Brown, who had dinner at Lewis' house in Arizona during the NFL owners meetings in March.

"It's not really a subject that's on my mind," Lewis said. "I don't think it's on Mike's mind, either. I've gone into many seasons without a new contract. It's not a focus for me."

Lewis, 58, has been with the Bengals since 2003 and has the most wins in franchise history. However, the team is coming off a 6-9-1 season and has not won a playoff game during his tenure. The Bengals currently lead the NFL in playoff-win droughts, with their last win having come during the 1990 season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19095719/cincinnati-bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-anticipate-contract-extension-season

While the article indicates it won't be happening this offseason, it sounds like they have discussed the possibility and "would like to" according to Marvin. That said, it seems like if Marvin would like to, Mike could have just offered his usual, right? This leads me to again post my theory that it will take 2 consecutive bad years for Mike to get rid of Marvin. This is looking to be a bad year at this point, so perhaps Marvin will be gone at the end of it if he can't get a playoff win.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 45.59.44.60 on Apr 7, 2017 12:26 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

Re: No Groundhogs Day This Year?

No score for this post
April 8 2017, 11:13 AM 

https://www.facebook.com/OldieStation.co/videos/162142867606249/

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: No Groundhogs Day This Year?

No score for this post
April 9 2017, 10:30 AM 

It's easy to imagine that Mike Brown is doing something out of spite when he's really just being himself. This time, though, "Mikey being Mikey" would presumably have led to another Marvin Lewis contract extension. Could this be a sign of the almost unimaginable -- that our favorite owner is actually, incredibly responding to criticism?

Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

This time it feels like MB is spiting us by not extending Marvin's contract. It would have been so classic and so damn funny if he had. After all the unceasing speculation about the head coach's lack of job security, another extension was too perfect of a response, I guess.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return