<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

For lack of anything else to talk about

April 12 2017 at 2:54 PM
No score for this post
BMN  (Login bmncaper)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 131.96.87.91

Just curious if anyone that frequents this board will be following the Jackets-Penguins playoff series. Funny how Ohio's only NHL team has only made the playoffs twice in the eight years yet draws the team residing in Pittsburgh both times...

BMN

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

Re: For lack of anything else to talk about

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 4:34 PM 

I follow hockey and CBJ is my favorite team. Go Jackets. Hopefully they can make a run this year.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 5:48 PM 

One sports rivalry with a team in Pittspuke is enough, thank you very much. Especially one that involves the playoffs.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 8:23 PM 

I don't follow hockey was surprised to see there are some NHL fans here in Middle Tennessee although there is a team in Nashville
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
April 13 2017, 8:11 AM 

I don't follow hockey was surprised to see there are some NHL fans here in Middle Tennessee although there is a team in Nashville

Love Bridgestone Arena! If the Thrashers had the Preds' management, there might still be hockey in Atlanta.

I see that CBJ-PIT started the way most Bengals-Steelers games go...(my Habs also stunk and my second-least-favourite sports franchise (Bruins) won so just a $#!++y night all around).

BMN

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
April 14 2017, 5:47 AM 

I am admittedly a huge hockey fan and a huge Penguins fan. They are my favorite sports team period, professional or college. Everything from their style of play (their goal is to score the most goals and entertain fans while also competing for championships) to their logo (the skating penguin is second to none), to their star power over the years (from 1984 on they have had at every point at least one of the following players on their roster: megastars Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Sidney Crosby, and Evgeni Malkin, sprinkled with some other greats as well including Ron Francis, Alexei Kovalev, Marian Hossa, Kris Letang, and that list could go on even), all while playing in a smallish media market. They don't always do things correctly (sucking to draft Lemieux/Crosby, and have had some dreadfully bad coaches), but they are fun to watch win or lose, mostly win since the late 1980s.

The Jackets honestly were playing great hockey until the calendar changed to April, where they have yet to win a game I believe. Tortorella is kind of a super villain, and I think that this series could get dirty quickly (CBJ was physical in game 1, but the Pens adjusted nicely after the first period), but the Jackets are a good team with good goaltending. I would not call game 2 a "must win," because that is overused, but they will have to take advantage of home ice and steal a game or two on the road.

In terms of luck, if I am not mistaken, the Jackets playoff draws have all been Lidstrom/Babcock era Detroit and Crosby/Malkin era Pittsburgh. That is just unlucky. Even the Bengals at least have drawn teams other than the Steelers. That is almost Cleveland Browns unlucky (last two Browns appearances were losses to Pittsburgh dating back to 1994, and before that their legendary losses to the Elway Broncos in the AFC Championships).

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
April 14 2017, 5:49 AM 

I will second the hockey atmosphere in Nasahville as well! Their fans are honestly a lot of fun! Not the best in terms of knowledge, but one of their hockey games feels like a college sporting event, or some of what I would imagine from Nascar lol.

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
April 14 2017, 12:37 PM 

Tortorella is kind of a super villain, and I think that this series could get dirty quickly (CBJ was physical in game 1, but the Pens adjusted nicely after the first period), but the Jackets are a good team with good goaltending.

Torts is a character! I happened to see his first game as CBJ coach by total fluke (I was at a convention in Minnesota at the same time he debuted in a CBJ game vs. the Wild). Goaltending is so unbelievably paramount.

The one thing that's worrisome is that the first set of games didn't produce a lot of goal scoring. Sadly indicative of a long trend going on in the game...

BMN

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
April 14 2017, 10:31 PM 

been to a few minor league games in Cincinnati (Cyclones) just couldn't get interested not for the lack of trying , was offered Pred tickets and turned them down, if I still lived in Cookeville may have taken them just to be able to party in Nashville, we now live an hour and a half from Nashville, that extra half hour drive is a killer
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
April 15 2017, 2:39 PM 

Torts is a good coach. I just don't like him, especially after the World Cup embarrassment. But for a young team like the Jackets, they need a SOB, not unlike a Claude Julien or a Michel Therrien or a Mike Keenan back in the day.

OldSchooler
(Login oldschoolerfan)

The Best 2 Minutes in Sports

No score for this post
April 16 2017, 2:45 PM 

Is the last 2 Minutes of a close hockey game. For some reason, the low-scoring ones are the best. Pulled Goalie. The urgency. The lack of timeouts and commercial breaks. The fights. The fast skating.

Just awesome. Playoffs = Up the bar

F*ck basketball and football. They have nothing on the last 2 minutes of hockey.

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
April 16 2017, 6:49 PM 

Welp 3-0 Pens, too bad that the Jackets are done. Gonna be a disappointing end to this season considering that they were expected to go farther than the first rounds and had their sights set on a championship and thought they were good enough to win it. Not only does Pitt stick it to Cincy but they also stick it to the whole state of Ohio it seems. Sigh.

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
April 20 2017, 8:33 AM 

Whatever happens, at least they didn't go down as hard as the Flames did...

BMN

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
April 22 2017, 10:39 AM 

Good series overall. Quite simply Pittsburgh's stars played better than Columbus' stars, and Fluery outplayed Bobrovsky (Fleury to date has faced the most shots per game in the playoffs thus far, and that includes teams like Toronto and Washington that have played a number of OT games).

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
April 24 2017, 7:29 AM 

Pittsburgh against Washington again....this is starting to be like Yankees-Red Sox where the only way the Caps can really feel unjinxed on the quest for Lord Stanley is to overcome their Voldemort.

Shame the Jackets and Habs went down so hard, but at least the Bruins and Leafs are gone too. Go Preds!

BMN

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
April 24 2017, 8:04 AM 

Two schools of thought on Fleury facing the most shots. One is that his defense isn't playing all that well and offering the other team way too many shot opportunities and sooner or later the dam will burst and his luck will run out.

The other is, facing more shots keeps a goalie sharp and doesn't lend to him letting his guard down or becoming complacent.

So, which is it?

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
April 25 2017, 12:07 PM 

Jb,

I don't disagree with you. I am big on scoring chances/shot quality types of metrics, in which the series was pretty even. But I do kind of agree...the series could have been different if CBJ does not get a shot on goal for the first 10 minutes of game 1 then gets a goal on their first shot or something along those lines.

With that said the Penguins have traditionally been an offense first team, and the Mike Sullivan era for them has been no different. They hang banners for scoring champions for instance, but have had some terrible defensive teams over the years. If Marc-Andre Fleury is a career Montreal Canadien for IMO he may have had a hall of fame career. Barrasso from their first Cup era same thing. Both infinitely more talented than some goalies who have played behind good defenses, but neither really ever has had much in the way of accolades.

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 1:57 PM 

If Marc-Andre Fleury is a career Montreal Canadien for IMO he may have had a hall of fame career.

As a Habs' fan whose hometown gave Fleury the key to the city, I would have liked that a lot! :-p

Mind you, what would it matter? The Habs have a great goalie, they can't f'n score.

BMN

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
April 27 2017, 3:25 PM 

LOL I hear you. They do need to upgrade their depth down the middle. They do many things well but they lack pure goal scoring and playmaking talent. Lundvquist was a tough draw for them also.

And yes, I think the world of Carey Price. Absolutely no disrespect meant. I think that last season alone proved his worth and just how dependent they are on him. Even the Kings kind of hung in there when Quick was injured, and as great as Lundvquist is, they played well for Raanta also and Talbot before that whenever called on let alone teams like the Penguins and Blackhawks that can win at around the same clip regardless of who plays goal. I respect the heck out of Price and hope that he wins a Cup eventually.

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 10:17 AM 

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return