<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Jake Elliott

May 1 2017 at 7:56 AM
No score for this post

ItmightbeJB  (Login ItmightbeJB)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 24.29.18.77

This kid's pro day video shows him kicking 63 yard field goals without breaking a sweat. In his four college seasons he never missed an extra point and he never missed a field goal under 40 yards. BIG LEG. Highly accurate. The video shows him putting kickoffs through the uprights with room to spare too. According to Dan Hoard who actually returned my email about this kid, those kickoffs were what tipped the scales in his favor over choosing Zane Gonzales who Cleveland drafted in the 7th round.

Almost forgot to mention Stephen Gostkowski came from Memphis State too. This kid broke every one of Gostkowski's records.

https://youtu.be/qMb3ulpVlss

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

This message has been edited by ItmightbeJB from IP address 24.29.18.77 on May 1, 2017 8:13 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

Re: Jake Elliott

No score for this post
May 1 2017, 6:41 PM 

The dude looks impressive. The bungs need a clutch kicker and this guy looks like he could fit into that category. Would be nice if he got the starting job come next season but who knows.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
May 2 2017, 9:34 AM 

I don't love or hate the pick...the Bengals need a kicker.

I always warn in these situations though that Nugent was a higher draft pick than most kickers.

I hope and expect him to be better than Nuge, but there is always the "could be out of this league in ___ years" factor as well if/when a kicker fails.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
May 3 2017, 7:17 AM 

Point well taken Sam. Aside from the kickoff placement difference (which frankly I'd never even considered) I previously mentioned, Darrin Simmons recently told Hobspin that after his face to face meetings with both Elliott and Gonzales he came away feeling Elliott had the requisite mental toughness and calmness under pressure needed to respond well to the pressure of NFL kickers. I don't know how you would measure such a thing except as an experienced special teams coordinator who knows what to look for. I doubt it can be measured on paper. But I hope it works out. I've had enough of the Shayne Grahams and Mike Nugents who make 80% with little on the line then get an esophageal occlusion when it matters most.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return