<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Play a Funeral March For Us, Paul Alexander

September 10 2017 at 1:51 PM
No score for this post

psychostats  (Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 70.92.18.131

Daugherty on classical pianist and O-line coach Paul Alexander, one month prior to the regular season:
Paul Alexander isn’t averse to self-praise, but he’d never go around the NFL broadcasting his skills as a classical pianist. He is, after all, an offensive line coach. “On most teams,’’ he explains, “the last thing you do is tell people you play the piano. It just gives them ammunition to criticize you.’’

Maybe. But who’s more interesting? Someone who can diagram blocking schemes? Or someone who can play Schubert’s “Standchen’’ without missing a note?

Answer: Both.

It’s the biggest question of Alexander’s coaching life, which has spanned more than three decades and includes time with Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler and, well, Dave Shula. The Bengals 2017 equation couldn’t be simpler: If Ogbuehi and Fisher are competent, the offense will be beastly. If they’re not ...

“It’s the biggest challenge I can recall,’’ is how Alexander puts it. “If they don’t play good, it’s my fault.’’

Alexander isn’t shy about what he has accomplished. What does he say to Ogbuehi and Fisher, to inspire confidence?

“You’re not gonna fail. I’ve never had a tackle fail. Just do what I ask you to do.’’ Twenty-three seasons of establishing something does have its upside.

“There’s a standard here. You do it this way. You don’t have to worry about anything but doing it this way.

He has also written a book, titled Perform: A Journey For Athletes, Musicians, Coaches and Teachers. I ask him if his linemen have a copy. He says no. “That’d be a little self-serving. They’ve heard most of the stories, anyway,’’ says Alexander.

They’ve heard. Over the next five months, we’ll find out if they’ve listened. Only a season depends on it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2017/08/12/alexanders-average-nfl-coach/104532112/

Five sacks allowed in Week 1. We'll see how many were officially on the tackles.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Sep 10, 2017 1:51 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Play a Funeral March For Us, Paul Alexander

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 2:25 PM 

https://youtu.be/2PG-LC6nmNs

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login LoyaltyClause)

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 2:32 PM 

at least 3 were on the tackles

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 5:24 PM 

Mike Brown finally replacing Katie Perry's Roar at PBS

To Taps
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 11 2017, 10:37 PM 

If Ogbuehi and Fisher continue to struggle, and there's no reason to think they won't, what I want to know is...

What exactly was wrong with their evaluation of these two prospects?

Willie Anderson leaned back in a chair on the podium of the dimly lit Bengals’ press conference room, talking tackle. Dressed in all white, Anderson is wrapping up a short visit to the city he called home for 12 years.

He likes Ogbuehi and Fisher, finds them to be willing listeners and eager learners. He laughs. He wouldn’t talk about them if he didn’t, he says.

Anderson sees what everyone else sees.

Ogbuehi is 25 years old, 6 feet, 5 inches and 310 pounds. Fisher is 24, 6-6, 300 pounds. The power. The athleticism. Alexander maintains if Ogbuehi were healthy for the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine he would have broken speed and quickness records. Fisher, meanwhile, set positional bests with a 5.01-second, 40-yard dash, a 32.5-inch vertical jump, a 7.25-second, three-cone drill and a 4.33-second, 20-yard shuttle.

Those numbers, that potential, didn’t always mesh with what is on film.

According to the football analytics site Pro Football Focus, Ogbuehi allowed 43 total pressures on 397 pass-blocking snaps last year, making him the 70th-ranked tackle with at least 200 snaps in pass-blocking efficiency last year. It was the most total pressures allowed by any tackle with less than 400 pass-block snaps.

Fisher, according to PFF, had just 137 pass block-snaps and allowed 13 total pressures.

It’s what gives Anderson some pause.

He remembers his early struggles, the embarrassment of being benched, pulled off the Riverfront Stadium turf. Not every player “gets it” right away. He knows Fisher and Ogbuehi want to be great, to live up to the expectations heaped upon them. He knows that Alexander can teach tackle.

“I remember hearing as a tackle, hopefully, a light comes in Year 2, and then 3, you have it,” Anderson said. “That’s what, in a perfect world, will happen. That happened with me.”

But he doesn’t know if the pair can do what is being asked of them in 2017.

“People are going to stay wondering until it’s done,” Anderson said.

Anthony Muñoz isn’t quite sure either.

He also thinks that by their third year, there shouldn’t be much question about Ogbuehi and Fisher and whether or not they can handle the task at hand. He acknowledges some caveats though. Each came from spread offenses in colleges. Each suffered a variety of injuries the last two years, missed practices due to those injuries and did not have the benefit of regular, padded practice time due to restrictions in the current collective-bargaining agreement.

“They pass the eye test,” Muñoz said. “But again, until it’s done ... Willie’s right.”

He tapped the conference table.

“Until you prove that you’re big, strong, athletic, long arms, then I can start evaluating and say OK, was it just slow coming along or was it a miscalculation in drafting them that high? Hopefully it’s not. Third year, in my humble opinion, plenty of time. The fact that they’ve had this time to kind of sit there with ‘Whit’ and Andre before he left. Plenty of time.”

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/09/03/pressure-accepted-bengals-ogbuehi-fisher-know-season-rests-their-shoulders/602965001/

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

What it doesn't say is this

No score for this post
September 12 2017, 4:25 AM 

"Fisher, meanwhile, set positional bests with a 5.01-second, 40-yard dash, a 32.5-inch vertical jump, a 7.25-second, three-cone drill and a 4.33-second, 20-yard shuttle."

Go out for the track team then at the Olympics. What it doesn't say is this:

Fisher only benched something like 12 reps with 225 pounds.

Are you kidding me? I could do that now. Offensive Tackles have to "press" a guy out.

I'm betting Ogbuehi is the same way. Not strong in the weight room. That's where it counts as an offensive lineman. Strength in the upper body. Especially on the bench press.

That's just pathetic.

Pick6Palmer
(Login Pick6Palmer)

And then there's Bodine

No score for this post
September 12 2017, 12:25 PM 

Strength is everything....

.....until you're Bodine and fall flat on your *** every play because you have no balance.

Strength is important, but it's not the only thing.

benaglbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 12 2017, 5:25 PM 

I think you could have played the funeral march for the bungs season when they let Zeitler and Whit walk and degraded the OL. This accelerated the bungs move to lost decade part II. I still think if the bungs have a really bad season worse than 4-12 Lewis might throw up his hands and just leave.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

My bad...I actually looked it up

No score for this post
September 12 2017, 11:02 PM 

Fisher benched 225, 25 times.

Ogbuehi = 23 times

That's not bad. But come'on here guys. I benched 225, 23 times when I weighed 270 back in the early 2000s. I didn't even play a professional sport. These guys outweighed me by 40+ pounds and were only able to equal it or surpass it by a couple of reps.

So sure, you may downplay strength. But there are 2 important aspects of the gym to an offensive linemen:

1. Bench
2. Leg Press/Squats

You have to be able to get out of your stance. You have to be able to press guys out. That's why these strength determiners are so important.

Ogbuehi and Fisher were at the bottom of the lists I've seen at the combine in 2015. Most OL's were benching over 30+ Times.

Mike Brown may have taken 2 Tackles in that draft, but they were the wrong tackles.

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 73.66.45.113 on Sep 12, 2017 11:02 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 10:29 PM 

Here's the data from 2015 for the Scouting Combine bench press, offensive linemen.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/19/8068835/2015-nfl-combine-offensive-line-bench-press

The mean is 25.4 and the median is 26. Fisher was just a hair below average while Ogbuehi was definitely below average.

Fisher's scouting report was that he "lacks power".

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jake-fisher?id=2552360

Ogbuehi's scouting report was that he is "not a powerful tackle."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cedric-ogbuehi?id=2552355

Did Alexander expect more from the strength and conditioning coaches? Is it that the two tackles lack enough natural strength to build upon? It seems as if Alexander has made this type of mistake before. Recall...

-- G Tanner Hawkinson

-- C Jonathan Luigs

-- C Eric Ghiaciuc

They happen to stand out from memory. There were surely more. Wasted draft picks, one and all. Including Ghiaciuc, who ended up starting for them. Gaaaak.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Sep 18, 2017 7:16 PM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Incompetent

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 10:33 AM 

Here we are on this board discussing things about offensive linemen that I would think an NFL owner should know. Or does he? Mikey has been in this business for 50 years or so and he still can't get important details like this right? I just don't get it.

Fulcher
(Login Fulcher-the-Vulture)

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 4:50 PM 

Should have played the funeral March when Mike Brown took over I believe in 91. We have been dead for a long time!!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 8:29 PM 

Thoughts after the loss to the Texans...

It's obvious, and we've all talked about it before, but you can't struggle with your O-line one year and then let your two best linemen go in free agency. You have to find a way to keep at least one of them if you expect to compete.

It's just so freakin' obvious. Top franchises figure out a way. Whitworth should be an overpaid Bungle instead of an overpaid Ram.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 8:50 PM 

This season was lost in the off season - no light at the end of the tunnel here.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 18 2017, 7:13 PM 

bengalbear from over in the Kaepernick thread:

One quick question - are there any FA OL out there worth looking at? True a QB like Kaepernick would work but still with the OL the bungs have I don't think any QB would work. I bet if Tom Brady came here he would be knocked out in 2 weeks.

The two best OL free agents this past offseason were... Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Whitworth. Both were the Bungs own free agents and the Bungs let both go.

The only other serviceable tackle out there was... get ready to groan... Andre Smith. And the Bungs signed him.

Right now, you're pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe get an old war horse of a grizzled vet who might be able to hang on for another year. A guy like... get ready to groan again... Eric Winston. And the Bungs cut him because he was done.

Whiff on two tackles like Ogbuehi and Fisher and you have no choice but to overpay Whitworth. The Bungs didn't do that so the rest is moot.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Sep 19, 2017 6:11 AM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 18 2017, 8:24 PM 

As the saying goes - the best place to look for diamonds is in your own backyard. I wonder what the brain trust at pbs was thinking when they let these two go? Was it lack of vision on mikey's part or just too tight or maybe throwing away the year and hope to get some OL's next April?

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

I do understand it

No score for this post
September 18 2017, 10:44 PM 

"I wonder what the brain trust at pbs was thinking when they let these two go?"

You know--I kind of understand it. Whitworth was not getting any younger. Zeitler was Bungle-ized and regressing every year. He needed a new pasture/scenery bad.

I understand why.

What I don't understand is YOU HAVE NO F*CKING CONTINGENCY PLAN. Sure, cut them loose. Just make sure you have somebody coming in that can do the job or better. Don't give me a f*cking question mark or somebody like Fisher and Ogbuehi, who have struggled in PreSeason for both years.

THEY PROVED THEY CAN'T FILL THE SHOES.

I also understand that this is just another lame smokescreen from the head idiot himself. Trying to save him and his family a buck and take it all to the grave.

I don't understand owners like him. Has a truck full of ca$h. Wants to make more by being cheap. There's no logic to an owner that wants to see his franchise lose and swindle.

Just don't get it. But I don't get Cincinnati Fans more.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 7:15 AM 

With that said - that is no contingency or succession plan (Whitworth) why would mikey let this happen? Most on this board are knowledgeable and they wouldn't let it happen. Makes you wonder.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 5 2017, 6:50 PM 

I know everybody's disgusted and sick to death of thinking about this team, but please look at this quotation again from Paul Daugherty. Emphasis added.

The 2017 story could be written as soon as Game 6 at Pittsburgh. Lose to the Bills and Steelers, drop to 1-5 and say goodbye in advance to MLewis and his entire staff. (Excepting Paul Alexander, whom I believe is a Bengal coach-for-life if he so chooses.) Win two, get right back in the game. Split two (the most likely scenario) stare down the barrel of a 2-4 start and a probable need to finish 8-2 to make January. Anyone see this team winning eight of 10 in this league?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2017/10/05/morning-line-105/106326770/

So Daugherty thinks that Marvin Lewis is coaching for his job but not Paul Alexander? What?

The Albatross hanging around this team's neck is clearly the offensive line. The coaches on this team also scout, so Alexander had to be a major force with those two bust tackles. There's also that stiff at center that he likes and won't admit is a problem.

Is this another deal where the coach's wife is good friends with Mrs. Brown? That's what the rumor was with Bratkowski, if you'll recall.

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

I don't get why they didn't use the franchise tag on Whitworth

No score for this post
October 6 2017, 9:39 PM 

Should have franchised Whitworth. Can do that for two years even.

The 2015 draft was idiotic. They drafted two guys to red-shirt in a year when two impact players might have put them over the hump to at least get a playoff win. And you'd only spend 2015 draft picks on red-shirt tackles if you believed in 2015 that you would not be able to draft a good OT in the early rounds.

2015 Bengals took Ogbuehi and Fisher, but could have had Shaq Thompson at LB and Tyler Lockett at WR - who might have both contributed their rookie years and beyond.

2016 Bengals took WJIII and Tyler Boyd (not as good a player as Tyler Lockett, who grades as above average WR, and Boyd grades out as piss poor)... instead of drafting Tyler Boyd, they could have had Cody Whitehair for the OL.

But that's why they're the Bungles. They don't make the best moves, and because they never use FA, a couple screwed-up drafts is basically a nail in the coffin.

Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return