<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

psychostats
(Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members

Re: Play a Funeral March For Us, Paul Alexander

No score for this post
October 29 2017, 10:56 AM 

What should be a cake walk against Indianapolis is a tough game because the offensive line cannot block at all. Andy Dalton has no time to throw whatsoever.

Opposing teams have figured out their adjustments that got them through the Cleveland and Buffalo games. Time to try something different, Paul Alexander, because what you are doing now is not working.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Bungleistic
(Select Login Bungleistic)

No score for this post
October 29 2017, 12:46 PM 

That offensive line sure is dog meat.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 29 2017, 12:48 PM 

Yes, and Alexander should be taking more heat for it.

Bungleistic

No score for this post
October 29 2017, 1:01 PM 

I repeat, that offensive line sure is dog meat!!!!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 29 2017, 1:06 PM 

And they're getting worse!!!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 5 2017, 2:56 PM 

Open question:

How long does it take to build up a decent offensive line when the one you already have sucks?

There is maybe one solid starter on the line right now, and that would be guard Cliff Boling. Obuehi and Fisher are terrible at tackle. Smith is an okay backup tackle but should only be a backup. Bodine is lousy at center and has been lousy since he was rookie four years ago. At the other guard spot they have a guy who was picked up as a college free agent who was either on IR or on the practice squad for the past three years. That would be Hopkins.

Maybe they could convert Fisher to guard. Or maybe one of the young backup guards develops. If either of those things happened they would still need two tackles and a center. Even if they drafted a good prospect at each position, it would presumably take a few years for them to develop.

What's that, you say? Free agency?! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Like the Bungs ever make much use of that strategy, and it's not like there are ever any good young tackles available. Or centers.

How old is AJ Green going to be when they have an okay line again?

Bungleistic

No score for this post
November 5 2017, 6:46 PM 

Even if the Bungs get a good pick in the draft next year they're gonna waste it on another WR or a corner. I've said this before, they probably won't even think about drafting a lineman until at least the 4th or 5th round like last year. The draft won't help and yes free agency certainly won't help either, last offseason all they did was bring back man tits who doesn't even see much playing time as it is. The Bungs offensive line is poised to suck for years to come and AJ will be long gone by the time they have a good one again if ever.

This message has been edited by Bungleistic from IP address 174.233.135.182 on Nov 5, 2017 6:48 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 6 2017, 6:05 AM 

Most of the time we're talking about pass blocking. Then there's the running game. Dehner sums it up succinctly:

The offense seems unsalvageable. This line can’t run the ball. And the last two weeks against the 26th and 32nd ranked teams in the league in yards allowed per rush, Cincinnati handed the ball to a running back 31 times for 64 yards. That’s 2.1 yards per rush.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/06/walkthru-beginning-end-17-bengals/834972001/

Two of the worst run defenses in the league, including the worst run defense in the league, and the Bungles generated all of 2.1 yards per carry. That is truly playing at a dog meat junior varsity level. The O-line is so bad it's hard to evaluate the rest of the team, including the defense.

The issues clearly go well beyond not having Andrew Whitworth at tackle. As stated above, this will require a multi-year effort at rebuilding. While we tend to get carried away in our negativity around here, the O-line woes make us look like hard-headed realists.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
November 6 2017, 8:28 AM 

And you can point the finger straight at the team owner for all this. Failure to give Whitworth a 3rd year....

His refusal to even discuss Zeitler's contract.

His well known reluctance to pay O-Linemen what other teams do....

His annual failure to better his team with free agents who will make a difference....

His insistence on carrying over millions of dollars in cap space....

His refusal to get creative with player contracts so he can sign impact players even if he did spend some of his cap money....

Holding onto coaches like Paul Alexander and Ken Zampese well past their useful life then eagerly granting permission for other teams to cherry pick guys like Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph....

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
November 6 2017, 10:01 PM 

Blame Paul Alexander all you want but what did mikey give him to work with? One of the least talented OL's in the game. There's an old saying "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t" and that's what we have. It will take years to rebuild this similar to what went on in the Lost Decade. Thanks for the memories mikey - I hope you think of all the fans in Cincy while you enjoy your winter cruises.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 7 2017, 5:52 AM 

Supposedly the Bengals coaches are so heavily involved with talent evaluations that they're practically scouts themselves. Everything we've read suggests that Alexander was instrumental in the drafting of Bodine, Ogbuehi, and Fisher. He's the key man in the organization for bringing in any O-lineman to the team, whether it's through the draft or by some other means.

Much of the blame is indeed on Alexander. Put the rest on Mikey for continuing to trust his judgement.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
November 7 2017, 9:27 AM 

"Blame Paul Alexander all you want but what did mikey give him to work with?"

In one sense He gave Alexander exactly what he asked for..... Ogbuehi, Fisher & Bodine. But the Hole shares much of the blame for the reasons outlined above.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

This message has been edited by ItmightbeJB from IP address 71.79.9.240 on Nov 7, 2017 9:34 AM

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
November 7 2017, 9:40 AM 

with that said at the end of the day will mikey hold Alexander accountable for these obviously bad choices ? Will giggles step in and replace Alexander as he replaced Zampese assuming giggles is still here at the end of the year?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
November 7 2017, 10:52 AM 

Who knows? That probably hinges on the size of Mikey's ego. If Mikey thinks he shares blame for this poopburger Alexander has nothing to worry about. If Mikey believes he gave in to Marvin's OL coach then PA better worry. My opinion is the Ogbuehi draft will go down as the worst draft choice since Akili Smith. A first round pick that was already going to be on IR his entire first season! Who does that? (no need to answer) Obviously Alexander lobbied hard for this guy but the ultimate responsibility lies with Mikey via Marvin for signing off on it. Fisher was the 2nd rounder in the same draft and I'd argue Fisher is the better player. Heck if you remember Fisher was Whitworth's backup his rookie year and he was a serviceable player even at Left tackle.

Regardless of who stays and who goes we shouldn't expect any move during the season. I don't think Marvin will fire Alexander and that might be the only scenario where Giggles gets fired. I don't think Giggles will fall on his sword for anyone and I'm not convinced getting rid of Zampese was his idea either. I think that came directly from the hole and it probably pisst Marvin off. Stay tuned. Everything on Mehring Way gets worse before it gets better.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
November 7 2017, 11:57 AM 

I'm not 100% sure giggles will get fired - as I stated on other threads the team will have to be 4-12 bad for a number of years before mikey even remotely thinks about firing giggles. If you're an owner wouldn't you want to be knowledgeable on important positions like the OL? Regardless who does the recommending shouldn't you be knowledgeable on the nuances of the position? I know mikey is in love with the so called "skill" positions but on something important like the OL not so much. Hence we're looking at another lost decade since even with knowledgeable people looking at it it will take time to bring them up to speed especially against the strong teams.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 8 2017, 5:09 PM 

What the heck is wrong with RT Jake Fisher? After leaving the Jacksonville game early, he's now out for the rest of the season with a non-football illness. It's apparently something that was being monitored by doctors for awhile. Marvin told the media that "after the procedure and medication and so forth, he needs to not be playing a contact sport for a period of time.”

I'm trying to recall if anything like that was ever said about another player, but I'm not coming up with an example. Whatever it is, it's not supposed to be career threatening, but it sure doesn't sound good. Nobody seems to be speculating, but somebody somewhere should be able to take a pretty good guess.

Anyway, the old warhorse of a grizzled vet, Eric Winston, has returned. He's now the primary backup at both tackle positions. Yikes.

Links:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/08/cincinnati-bengals-right-tackle-jake-fishers-season-ends-due-illness/846206001/

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Winston-returns-with-Fisher-sidelined-for-season/46152fee-e5f7-40be-85c4-aaad7f35bf72

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
November 8 2017, 7:15 PM 

I suspect it might be mono. I knew of a pro tennis player who caught it and eventually retired from the game.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
November 8 2017, 7:55 PM 

MikeyBoy gets another really high draft pick. This is the return of the darkest days in Bengals history. Sometimes hyperbole is actually understated.

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

RE:

No score for this post
November 9 2017, 1:29 PM 

" This is the return of the darkest days in Bengals history. Sometimes hyperbole is actually understated."

I see things a little differently, JB. Without real hardware or a playoff win in 30 years, did the dark days ever dissipate?

I'm saying "The Mike Brown's Bungle Golden Age" was an illusion. The dark days never left. Mike Brown tried just a little harder not to be as cheap when he started to hear it from the NFL HQ's/Execs.

That's what I think.

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

RE:

No score for this post
November 9 2017, 1:29 PM 

" This is the return of the darkest days in Bengals history. Sometimes hyperbole is actually understated."

I see things a little differently, JB. Without real hardware or a playoff win in 30 years, did the dark days ever dissipate?

I'm saying "The Mike Brown's Bungle Golden Age" was an illusion. The dark days never left. Mike Brown tried just a little harder not to be as cheap when he started to hear it from the NFL HQ's/Execs.

That's what I think.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return