<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

The Book on Ken Zampese

September 10 2017 at 6:14 PM
No score for this post

psychostats  (Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 70.92.18.131

Whatever the book is, the Ravens have read it, memorized it, digested its contents, and are able to recite the plays backwards and forwards in their sleep. The Week 1 announcers marvelled at how the Baltimore defenders seemed to always know what was coming.

Last year I made this chart, and I'm posting it again as it supports the notion that Zampese is imminently predictable. You may recall the one showing how Andy Dalton's QB rating changes over quarters across the course of his career.

[linked image]

We see that 2016 is the only season where Dalton's rating steadily declined as the game progressed. That was when Zampese took over the duties as OC. This pattern suggests that the defenses were figuring out what was going on. You can't blame it on talent as the players were the same throughout the game.

We'll have to track this throughout the season and look for other suggestions of predictability.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

Re: The Book on Ken Zampese

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 6:30 PM 

Remember when I said there is a reason Zampese was passed over for years?
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 7:23 PM 

Yes, I do, but we didn't specifically hear about anything negative, and sometimes a coach gets lost among the competition. I was trying to be hopeful. As our sample size gets larger things continue to look worse. I'll give you that.

As we are all well aware, Mike Brown doesn't like to fire coaches on offense. So we're probably stuck with Zampese for eternity, no matter what.

OldSchoolerFan
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Booth Swigs

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 8:55 PM 

Remember how long we were stuck with Bob Drunkowski? Yeah.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 15 2017, 10:44 PM 

That was a mighty short eternity, I'll tell you what.

The book is now closed. The last page is written. The Bungs turn the page.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

Psycho

No score for this post
September 16 2017, 6:16 AM 

Actually the negatives were staring us in the face, Palmer and Dalton both regressed under his role as QB coach , not sure how promoting him made any sense

However in fairness to him and his short stint as OC he was probably set up to fail, he was likely handed a playbook and a gameplan and told to go out and coordinate , he is just the sacrificial lamb
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

Psycho

No score for this post
September 16 2017, 6:16 AM 

Actually the negatives were staring us in the face, Palmer and Dalton both regressed under his role as QB coach , not sure how promoting him made any sense

However in fairness to him and his short stint as OC he was probably set up to fail, he was likely handed a playbook and a gameplan and told to go out and coordinate , he is just the sacrificial lamb
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 16 2017, 11:58 AM 

Yeah, I can't help but think that the right head coach could have alleviated Zampese's problems. When the coordinator is stuck between a rock and a hard place, it's up to his boss to set some priorities. As in, "Focus on X, not Y. I'll talk to the players so they understand. Y won't work with our current personnel."

Ross and Mixon can't help this offense much with that offensive line in place. Not when you try to employ the same philosophy that worked with a much better line.

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:05 PM 

Have any of you heard who all the so-called mutineers were? I've only heard AJ Green. But I did notice during the game Brandon LaFell was quite animated and appeared angry. Ken Zampese = David Shula part Deux.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 7:27 PM 

JB, when I read that I assumed it was hyperbole. If it were real we should have heard more. That was from a single source, right?

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
September 18 2017, 8:17 AM 

Originally I read it on PFT.com but then a lot of other blogs incl. espn reported it also.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Tom Brady
(Login oldschoolerfan)

LaFell?

No score for this post
September 18 2017, 12:30 PM 

WHY is anybody paying attention to Brandon GD LaFell and what the hell does Brandon LaSuck have to be pissed about?

Oh wait--is it the fact that he can't read a playbook and wasn't good enough for the Patriots (Tom Brady) so they let him go?

Now he has to resort to being in stripes?

Actually, I think I'd be pissed about that one too. But it's your own fault you didn't work harder, BL. You could have had a ring last year if you studied.

This message has been edited by oldschoolerfan from IP address 73.66.45.113 on Sep 18, 2017 12:32 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 19 2017, 6:52 PM 

Going back to Lazor for a moment, I think his biggest contribution will be to "take away" the players' main sources of complaint. Green and Eifert will be targeted more. One back will be featured over the others. The play calling at crunch time will seem more aggressive.

It won't help much, but it will be harder bellyache about it.

So maybe Zampese's biggest mistake was not failing in the proper style. Sometimes you can try too hard to compensate for other people's failings and it ends up looking like you're the problem.

Not saying he was a great coordinator or anything like that. I just find it hard to believe he was truly that bad.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Sep 19, 2017 6:57 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return