<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

The Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree

September 17 2017 at 5:30 PM
No score for this post
Ka  (Login KaBTK)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 72.49.5.2

I thought it might be interesting this season to follow the former Bengals assistant coaches who Mike let go who are now out there in the league coaching teams of their own.

We have the following:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-2
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 1-1 (His QB was hurt this week, so that impacted their play against The Stealers)
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 1-1
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 2-0 with an undefeated preseason record as well

Vance Joseph was the DB coach here. In 2015, the Bengals blocked him from going to Denver to be defensive coordinator. A year later, he went to the Dolphins to be defensive coordinator, and this year, he's now head coach of Denver. He may turn out to be the best of the coaching tree.

Looking today, I see some Browns fans are not happy with Hue. Apparently, Hue wants to be offensive coordinator and head coach, and the fans think it is too much for him. They don't want him fired - they just want him to hire an offensive coordinator. Apparently, he keeps promising every week that he'll run the ball more but then doesn't.

http://scout.com/nfl/browns/Board/105323/Contents/Hue-Jackson-as-OC-107585528

Mike Zimmer is the defensive coordinator of the Vikings as well as head coach. He is doing that well, but he generally does that well. Defense is his strong point.

I'll update this thread weekly, and we'll see where we shake out at the end of the year. Any predictions? Mine is that Vance Joseph will have the most success barring injury based on what we are seeing so far.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 72.49.5.2 on Sep 17, 2017 5:31 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

It's a safe projection that Vance Joseph is going to be #1

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:41 PM 

because he inherited a great defense, an excellent well run franchise that has zillions of playoff games, with a huge home field advantage, etc.

Whereas, for example, Jay Gruden got the Redskins. LOL.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

How do you figure??

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:54 PM 

There is no such thing as the "Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree"Gruden was the only one that Lewis brought into the league,the rest were already established assistant coaches in the league long before Slobkbob Hobson declared these guys as disciples of Marvin.Just another poor attempt by Hobson to stick his nose up the clowns a$$.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

Re: The Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:58 PM 

I swear to God,Hobson is to the clown what Josef Goebels was to Adolf Hitler

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 7:41 PM 

I always thought that a coach had to either (1) start out as a very young assistant or (2) coach under a guy for a very long time before he was on the "tree". Zampese is on Marvin's tree. Darrin Simmons is on Marvin's tree. Paul Guenther is on Marvin's tree.

Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, and Vance Joseph all had a cup of coffee with Marvin.

Hue Jackson... iffy. I'd say no because he had so many other stops along the way.

Now that I think of it, a coach on the tree has to at least look at Marvin as his primary influence. What departed coach would say that?

In any case, though...

It will still be interesting to track the fates of Marvin's former assistants. Go for it, Katie.

Ka
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 4:04 PM 

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-3
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 2-1
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 2-1
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 2-1

Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 0-3

So another week has gone by. Marvin and Hue are both 0-3, and the other three coaches currently all have winning records.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 6:35 PM 

Hugh Jackson has a legitimate excuse,Giggles needs to start a new coaching tree in the Arena League

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 3 2017, 8:20 PM 

Awaiting your update, Katie. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return