<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

The Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree

September 17 2017 at 5:30 PM
No score for this post
Ka  (Login KaBTK)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 72.49.5.2

I thought it might be interesting this season to follow the former Bengals assistant coaches who Mike let go who are now out there in the league coaching teams of their own.

We have the following:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-2
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 1-1 (His QB was hurt this week, so that impacted their play against The Stealers)
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 1-1
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 2-0 with an undefeated preseason record as well

Vance Joseph was the DB coach here. In 2015, the Bengals blocked him from going to Denver to be defensive coordinator. A year later, he went to the Dolphins to be defensive coordinator, and this year, he's now head coach of Denver. He may turn out to be the best of the coaching tree.

Looking today, I see some Browns fans are not happy with Hue. Apparently, Hue wants to be offensive coordinator and head coach, and the fans think it is too much for him. They don't want him fired - they just want him to hire an offensive coordinator. Apparently, he keeps promising every week that he'll run the ball more but then doesn't.

http://scout.com/nfl/browns/Board/105323/Contents/Hue-Jackson-as-OC-107585528

Mike Zimmer is the defensive coordinator of the Vikings as well as head coach. He is doing that well, but he generally does that well. Defense is his strong point.

I'll update this thread weekly, and we'll see where we shake out at the end of the year. Any predictions? Mine is that Vance Joseph will have the most success barring injury based on what we are seeing so far.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 72.49.5.2 on Sep 17, 2017 5:31 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

It's a safe projection that Vance Joseph is going to be #1

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:41 PM 

because he inherited a great defense, an excellent well run franchise that has zillions of playoff games, with a huge home field advantage, etc.

Whereas, for example, Jay Gruden got the Redskins. LOL.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

How do you figure??

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:54 PM 

There is no such thing as the "Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree"Gruden was the only one that Lewis brought into the league,the rest were already established assistant coaches in the league long before Slobkbob Hobson declared these guys as disciples of Marvin.Just another poor attempt by Hobson to stick his nose up the clowns a$$.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

Re: The Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 6:58 PM 

I swear to God,Hobson is to the clown what Josef Goebels was to Adolf Hitler

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
September 17 2017, 7:41 PM 

I always thought that a coach had to either (1) start out as a very young assistant or (2) coach under a guy for a very long time before he was on the "tree". Zampese is on Marvin's tree. Darrin Simmons is on Marvin's tree. Paul Guenther is on Marvin's tree.

Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, and Vance Joseph all had a cup of coffee with Marvin.

Hue Jackson... iffy. I'd say no because he had so many other stops along the way.

Now that I think of it, a coach on the tree has to at least look at Marvin as his primary influence. What departed coach would say that?

In any case, though...

It will still be interesting to track the fates of Marvin's former assistants. Go for it, Katie.

Ka
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 4:04 PM 

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-3
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 2-1
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 2-1
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 2-1

Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 0-3

So another week has gone by. Marvin and Hue are both 0-3, and the other three coaches currently all have winning records.
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
September 25 2017, 6:35 PM 

Hugh Jackson has a legitimate excuse,Giggles needs to start a new coaching tree in the Arena League

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
October 3 2017, 8:20 PM 

Awaiting your update, Katie. happy.gif

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
October 23 2017, 8:33 PM 

Update:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-7
Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 2-4
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 3-3
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 3-3
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 5-2

Well, it looks like Mike Zimmer (my pick for head coach) is currently in first.

WhenPBSFreezesOver

Vance Joseph

No score for this post
October 23 2017, 9:43 PM 

If Vance Joseph is responsible for the decision to stick with Siemian, then he's not gonna be a HC long. Denver doesn't put up with losing.

Zimmer clearly was always the class of the bunch, one of the very few Bengals assistants who came from outside the organization and had a reasonable track record in the NFL before coming to Cincy.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
October 24 2017, 2:33 PM 

Up here in Cleveland the media has been roasting Hue for declining a 15 yard penalty and then doubling down on it at his press conference that he "would rather Tennessee kick the fg than get a 3rd and 17." As bad as the Browns have been their defense has been good enough to stop 3rd and 17.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
October 30 2017, 8:50 PM 

Update:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-8
Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 3-4
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 3-4
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 3-4
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 6-2

Only one coach with a winning record at this point - Zimmer beat Jackson's Browns soundly. Three teams bunched up in the middle. Hue Jackson has only won one game his entire tenure in Cleveland. I feel bad for Hue. I think he's a decent guy. I don't know if it's the abyss of Cleveland or if it's just he's not cut out to be a head coach. Many have tried and failed in Cleveland. It's a coaching graveyard.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 8:08 AM 

I agree on Hue. The Cleveland debacle is mutual failure...the Browns front office (Sashi Brown, no relationship to Mikey unfortunately, as a baseball sabremetrics guy) has given Hue absolute garbage to work with, but Hue has handled some things downright poorly (his handling of the QB situation the entire time there has been dreadful, and some in game coaching failures for instance declining a 15 yard penalty a week ago).

The word up here in Cleveland is that Jimmy Haslem, as much as he wants to fire everyone right now, wants to show some kind of patience and will wait until the end of the season. So for those expecting Hue to be fired during this BYE week it probably will not happen. The old school NFL types (i.e. the Bill Polians of the world) were really harsh on the Sashi Brown hire, the Osweiller trade, etc., as well as Haslem's record of hiring/firing as Cleveland is a job that no one should take...sound familiar?)

With that said I think that Hue is a good football guy. His head coaching track record prior to this was not bad (8-8 during an era where the Raiders stunk...he was just unfortunately for him an Al Davis guy and not a Mark Davis guy). I hope that he leaves with his dignity, but there is almost no way that Haslem can keep a coach who goes 1-31 through two seasons. If Hue is able to coax 3 or 4 wins out of the last 8 games? Maybe Sashi gets fired and Hue gets a personnel say with a good personnel guy. Or maybe he is back in Cincy next season as a position coach under team Marvin.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 9:44 AM 

I think Hue's better off getting out of the state of Ohio. To come back and work for the bungs with mikey and co. is not an option.

Jackson Browne
(Login oldschoolerfan)

The Browns are...

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 1:11 PM 

"Zimmer beat Jackson's Browns soundly"

Ironically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdHg4QEmBvk

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
November 17 2017, 10:31 PM 

UPDATE:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-9
Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 3-6
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 3-6
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 4-5
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 7-2

Well, three out of four of our former coaches sport losing records. Mike Zimmer, however, has a winning record. Sigh.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
November 18 2017, 10:45 AM 

The evidence of my theory that Zimmer was the heart and soul of this team is mounting
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

WhenPBSFreezesOver

Zimmer did it with a journeyman QB

No score for this post
November 18 2017, 5:54 PM 

It's as if Bengals had gone 7-2 with Jon Kitna!

Storm
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
November 18 2017, 6:51 PM 

Yes, the Vikings lost 2 starting QBs and a starting RB over the last two years and are winning with Case frikken Keenum , the Vikings defense went from a sieve to one of the better defenses in the league, would like to see what Marvin would have done with that adversity , we pretty much know it would have been ugly
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
November 20 2017, 12:09 AM 

Update:

Hue Jackson - Cleveland Browns - 0-10
Vance Joseph - Denver Broncos - 3-7
Marvin Lewis - Cincinnati Bengals - 4-6
Jay Gruden - Washington Redskins - 4-6
Mike Zimmer - Minnesota Vikings - 8-2

Mike Zimmer for the win. Marvin bested Vance Joseph helping him move up a slot, and the Redskins lost a game which ties Marvin with Jay Gruden.

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 72.49.229.226 on Nov 20, 2017 12:11 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return