<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

AJ MCCarron's career almost destroyed but incompetence by the Cleveland Browns saves it

October 31 2017 at 4:42 PM
No score for this post

Storm  (Login stormincincy)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 24.158.161.1

Browns forgot to noticy league office by the deadline LMAO

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-bengals-agreed-to-trade-aj-mccarron-but-browns-fail-to-notify-nfl-on-time/
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: AJ MCCarron's career almost destroyed but incompetence by the Cleveland Browns saves it

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 4:54 PM 

The story, as they say, is fluid. The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Key Cabot recently tweeted that is was the Bungs who screwed it up:

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot 43m43 minutes ago
Try again: #Browns sent signed doc to #Bengals to sign and send to league, but #Bengals sent doc to #NFL only signed by them

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot 47m47 minutes ago
League source says that #Bengals sent in paperwork to #NFL that had only their signature on it and not the #Browns. Needed both

https://twitter.com/marykaycabot?lang=en

Now that's funny! You have to turn in the copy that both sides have signed for it to be final. And it was the Bungles front office, not the Browns, who couldn't get it right.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

Re: AJ MCCarron's career almost destroyed but incompetence by the Cleveland Browns saves it

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 5:18 PM 

I think that "The Fumble" and "The Burfict Ending" are the two most Browns/Bunglish plays of all time, but this trade failure is the best collaboration between Mikey and his dad's old team ever!

This is why 28 other owners are glad that Ohio has two teams.

This message has been edited by wyche from IP address 174.232.7.20 on Oct 31, 2017 5:19 PM

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 5:31 PM 

When I read it I was thinking somehow the bengals might have some responsibility of their own
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 6:47 PM 

https://i.imgur.com/Rk9R93x.png

So it turns out the Bengals secretary faxed the wrong copy to the league lol
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 7:08 PM 

The bungs screwed everything else up this year - should we be surprised by this? McCarron should get down on his hands and knees and thank the man upstairs for not getting sent to Siberia. However it's obvious McCarron doesn't fit in their plans but I hope he finds a better place next year.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 7:42 PM 

While the Bengals definitely screwed up, whoever mentioned that the Browns are culpable also are absolutely correct. By chance that the Packers or Steelers or Patriots were making a trade with the Bengals they would probably stay on the phone and hold their hands through the process. With that said I'm guessing that this secretary has a last name of Brown or Blackburn so...

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
October 31 2017, 9:26 PM 

Another funny thing that I saw was "winners and losers of the trade deadline" and it listed thr Browns as both. Losers for all that has been written in this thread, but winners because at least they got a mulligan on overpaying for McCarron. Proof yet again that only the sheep, Alabama fans, and Hue Jackson highly regard AJ while the rest of us see him as Bengals backup qb fodder.

Also oddly enough some sources including Adam Shefter are blaming the Browns not the Bengals.

This message has been edited by wyche from IP address 174.232.7.20 on Oct 31, 2017 9:46 PM

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

Never heard of DocuSign I guess

No score for this post
November 1 2017, 7:47 AM 

Faxing things is so 1990s just like this Bengals squad
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
November 1 2017, 9:01 AM 

DATELINE CINCINNATI: Mikeyboy's secretary, Mrs. Irene Coppercrotch apologized today for sending the wrong paper to the league office. The 87 year old widow who resides next door to Mikey apparently confused the fax machine with the xerox machine. Instead of sending it she made a copy of it. According to Mikey she will not be held accountable because as he said, "We don't hold people accountable here. We're the Bengals."

And in a related incident Bengal Quarterback A.J. McCarron has presented Mrs. Coppercrotch with a dozen roses and will be taking her to the Precinct Steakhouse every evening this week and has purchased a new Chevrolet Lumina for her.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
November 1 2017, 12:12 PM 

The local Cleveland sports talk and fans are absolutely ripping the team not for the fax error, but for the fact that they were going to give up a 2nd AND 3rd for McCarron a day after San Fran only gave a comparable 2nd (like CLE's 2nd it will be 33rd or 34th overall) for Garrapolo has their heads exploding.

Said one talking head (directed at the front office): "you passed on Carson Wentz. You passed on Dehaun (sp?) Watson. The past two drafts you have traded back to accrue draft picks, And AJ MCCARRON is your answer!?" LOL!

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 1 2017, 4:26 PM 

As I read about the transaction, what I'm getting now is this:

The Browns made the big screw-up, but the Bungs could have compensated for it by signing and forwarding a fax the Browns had sent them at the last minute. Ultimate responsibility goes to the Browns, but... it was a salvageable situation.

An extra second and third round pick would have come in really handy come April. Offensive linemen, anyone?

EDIT: Link below.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/11/bengals_did_receive_email_from.html#incart_big-photo

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Nov 1, 2017 6:07 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 1 2017, 7:37 PM 

Well, I've changed my mind yet again. The scribes continue to provide new information.

Apparently one team cannot submit the paperwork for both sides. That's not permitted. The Bengals are completely off the hook, or so it seems.

Also, both teams merely need to (separately) send the league office an email regarding the trade terms. If there are no discrepancies, the league considers the trade to be finalized. The teams can submit the official paperwork later.

All the Browns had to do was CC the league office on the last email they sent to the Bengals, and that would have sufficed.
http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/92937/running-out-of-time-inside-the-browns-botched-trade-attempt-for-aj-mccarron

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/01/ownership-went-nuclear-on-browns-front-office-on-wednesday/

Winners:

AJ McCarron, who doesn't have to go to a moving train wreck in Siberia. He can now pick his spot in a year or two.

The Browns, who don't have to overpay for McCarron and watch him win a few games and drop their draft position. I agree with Sam on McCarron's so-so potential. He was not the answer to the Browns QB woes.

Marvin Lewis, who is going to need McCarron here soon after Andy Dalton takes one hit too many this season.

Losers:

All Bengals fans. We need draft picks to acquire more offensive linemen.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
November 2 2017, 10:27 AM 

Agreed on all accounts regarding winners/losers, other than I will add the Browns front office to losers, simply because this whole ordeal summed up their ineptitude. IMO Jimmy Haslem has no choice but to fire them after the season. I am talking Sashi Brown (I miswrote earlier...he is the lawyer) and DePodesta (not to be confused with the Clinton emails guy, this guy is the baseball sabermetrics guy).

Regarding the "who's at fault" story it was Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that reported that the Bengals were at fault, but she changed her story. She is usually actually very good, so I'm thinking that he source was misinformed or lied. Adam Shefter stood by the "Browns are at fault" narrative the entire time.

Regardless this has been a fun story that has both teams' fan bases talking and has to have McCarron feeling a bit jaded and a bit appreciated at the same time (jaded that a team would be willing to trade him away but appreciated in the facts that someone wanted to pay handsomly for him and also that the Bengals apparently want him to play somewhere, kind of like the Pats were with Garapollo).

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
November 2 2017, 12:03 PM 

I believe we found a team worse than the bungs lost decade years. True the Browns were an expansion team coming in the league in 1999 or so but still - the bungs weren't this bad in their expansion years. Perhaps Tampa Bay was bad but still...Real clusterf@ck up there in Cleveland. It really is a mistake by the Lake. I have a feeling Hue might be let go after the season if not sooner as he doesn't see eye to eye with that very inept FO.

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Bungle/Brown Draftees/FA's

No score for this post
November 2 2017, 12:08 PM 

You know....if I'm a decent collegiate player, and the Bungles or Browns Drafted me...I think I would sit down and just cry. For like hours.

I wish I were joking.

All that hard work. All that weight room and track time. All those hits. Just to be drafted by those idiots. Talk about a waste.

Sooooooo....Winners of this debacle? NOBODY. We're talking about McCarron here for crying out loud. Not a franchise savior.

Losers: Two of the biggest idiots in sports. Jimmy Haslem and Mike F. Brown.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
November 4 2017, 9:11 PM 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21286767/aj-mccarron-files-grievance-vs-cincinnati-bengals-wants-unrestricted-free-agent-2018

Well this could get fun! A shrewd franchise would be in position to take on a bidding war of sorts between the Browns and Redskins for their young backup QB for nothing. A Mike Brown franchise is facing the potential of simply losing his backup QB. MB still may get his bidding war if he's lucky enough for the arbitrator to side with him, but I would like to think that the NFLPA would fight hard for AJ/against MB on this one?

Well played by AJ and his agent, though. Anyone who takes on Mike Brown head on (a'la Carson Palmer) immediately jumps on my list of favorite players!!!!!!!

This message has been edited by wyche from IP address 72.196.153.187 on Nov 4, 2017 9:13 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
November 4 2017, 10:56 PM 

If the Bengals collapse this season and end up with a Top 5 pick, they would be in line for one of those potential franchise quarterbacks. They could trade Dalton for more picks, and...

But they would never do that, even if the opportunity were to present itself. These are the Bengals we're talking about. Anyway, the potential market for Dalton is going to drop with the current crop of prospect quarterbacks. And yeah, I think Sam Darnold will leave school for the 2018 draft. He looks bored at USC.

Regarding the non-trade of AJ McCarron, someday I'll want to remind myself of what happened and the first place I'll look is in this thread. A few more things. Here's Terry Pluto from the Plain Dealer.

The best guess is both teams share some of the blame for failing to move quickly on a last-day deal. But because the Browns are the Browns, they are destined to be the organization that is labeled inept after the deal fell apart.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/11/cleveland_browns_never_had_a_c.html#incart_river_index

Right now it seems like it's all on the Browns for botching the trade after the 3:55 PM verbal agreement. Pluto has a point, though, if we take a step back. If, for example, Mike Brown had accepted just a second round pick, the deal would have been struck well before the deadline and there would have been no rush to contact the league and all that.

A second round pick for a quarterback who will likely be gone next year sounds like a good deal to me. If the Cleveland Browns had not verbally accepted Mike Brown's terms at 3:55 PM, it would have been a simple matter of Mike Brown botching an opportunity to help his team. (We need more offensive linemen!) So when you think about it, that still holds true.

The Enquirer's Jim Owczarski thinks maybe the Cleveland Browns tried to pull a fast one, considering the way the trade terms in the last email disagreed with what the Bengals sent the league.

It’s one thing to run out of time. It’s one thing to call one person and email another.

But it’s something else entirely to reject one set of standards already outlined – come around and accept them – yet write up new standards under the heat of a deadline and just expect it to be blindly signed and passed along without a thorough review. ...

That’s far worse than finger-pointing. It’s trying to get away with something.

If the front office remains intact in Cleveland into the offseason, they’ll be able to do business as usual to a degree. Four agents BX communicated with said players will still sign there. After all – a job and a contract are a job and a contract. And every one of their draft picks will be happy to be there as well.

But what of relationships around the league? It’s one thing to set your own house on fire, but when you fan the flames in the directions of your neighbors – that can create some issues.

This is something the ownership up there will have to consider.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/05/whats-next-aj-mccarron-and-cincinnati-bengals/829600001/

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return