<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Five thirty eight explains: if a head coach and QB haven't won a Super Bowl by year 5

December 21 2017 at 11:51 AM
No score for this post

WhenPBSFreezesOver  (Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 172.58.38.185

then they never will

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Five thirty eight explains: if a head coach and QB haven't won a Super Bowl by year 5

No score for this post
December 21 2017, 1:24 PM 

Good article. Never happened before. I didn't realize that.

Part of it must be the talent cycle and the window of opportunity closing. And part of it must be the owners getting too impatient to let things continue. In a case like Don Shula and Dan Marino (no Super Bowl championships in 13 years), it's likely due to underlying issues left unaddressed.

For Lewis and Dalton, it's obviously a combination of the first and third factors, because Mike Brown's patience is boundless.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

Re: Five thirty eight explains: if a head coach and QB haven't won a Super Bowl by year 5

No score for this post
December 21 2017, 2:56 PM 

Interesting
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Wow

No score for this post
December 21 2017, 4:02 PM 

That is one serious article. Kind of one we all knew about....but when brought to our attention....really turned us on our heads.

Amazing how much he pointed out during that time. One--that no QB/Coach combo won the SB (or anything important) after year 5.

Two--Lewis was one of several coaches tenured--but the only coach without a Championship Ring.

Three--You would have thought that Marino and Shula would have won a SB Championship. Both of those guys together for all those years? If they were not able to "defy odds" then nobody can.

I think the 5-year rule is one that cannot defy football physics. Like "Matter cannot be created or destroyed" sort of facts.

So, "Rings cannot be created or destroyed after the 5th year, hence, the 'Year 5' Rule..."

Or something like that.

Love that article.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
December 21 2017, 4:18 PM 

Well we know that the ultimate goal of this organization is not a Super Bowl win, they have already met their goal
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
December 21 2017, 5:00 PM 

I mentioned the QB part of this stat years ago on this board. When I'm off my phone, I'll look it up :-p

EDIT: Found it!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/90650/message/1360366886

BMN

This message has been edited by bmncaper from IP address 208.54.80.219 on Dec 21, 2017 5:15 PM

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

Seems like Matty Ice defied the odds

No score for this post
December 22 2017, 7:18 AM 

Heck the Falcons even had the game won... Almost
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return