<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Not surprising

December 28 2017 at 4:44 AM
No score for this post

Bungleistic  (Select Login Bungleistic)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 50.25.50.226

Not sure if anybody saw the Blue Jackets and Penguins game last night, but the Jackets went full Bungles. Blew leads of 3-1 and 4-2, as soon as the Pens tied the game 4-4 with under 2 minutes left you just knew what was gonna happen. Sergei Bobrovsky completely faltered down the stretch and the Pens made mincemeat of him in the final period, overtime and the shootout. You could tell at the end the Jackets were beat mentally. Last night went how most Bungs/Steelers games go: Start off strong and then completely meltdown and lose, that's what the Jackets did last night. It looked exactly like something the Bungs would put in front of your face. Sure looks like the Jackets are to the Pens what the Bungs are to the Steelers. B!tches. That includes their playoff series last year.

This message has been edited by Bungleistic from IP address 174.231.132.246 on Dec 28, 2017 4:54 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

Re: Not surprising

No score for this post
December 28 2017, 8:30 AM 

YAY hockey talk!

I did, and as I've mentioned before I am a huge Penguins fan. My favorite pro sports team, period. And I do remember them pre-1991 Stanley Cup era (although I am not old enough to remember pre-Lemieux). With that said I love hockey and here in Cleveland do follow the Jackets' minor league team the Cleveland Monsters, and absolutely pull for them. And to be fair, my Pens love predates the existence of the Jackets, and aside from disliking Tortorella, I pull for CBJ generally also.

So with that said, yes, CBJ absolutely choked the game away as Tortorella put it afterwards. Also both goalies IMO played poorly in this one.

With that said I think that plain and simply the Pens have the Jackets' number right now. Other than the Pittsburgh owning a southern Ohio team not a ton in common from my observation (the Jackets have a strong leader as a coach, they are still on the upswing, and they have played Pittsburgh well in past regular seasons, they are a physically tough team, and they have some good hockey people running personnel in the organization so despite being a small market they always seem to try to field the best team that they can). The only obvious Bengals' comparison is Bobrovsky/Dalton. The respective Pittsburgh teams both seem to get in their heads. While the Pens' lineup is deadly on paper (Crosby/Kessel/Malkin/Letang when healthy) they have not been scoring as many goals this season, yet Bobrovsky can't seem to beat them). He did face 37 shots last night, but not too many of those were quality scoring chances, and while the aforementioned superstars can score seemingly at any time, some of those goals were soft to the likes of Sheary and Guentzel. He also kind of was bailed out by the goalie interference call earlier in the game (IMO he had time to reset, and the call on the ice was a goal).

Anyways, the Blue Jackets have a nice team and are still looking strong for the playoffs. It is funny but when it comes to the playoffs again a team like Columbus or the Rangers may actually benefit from finishing as the WC1 to avoid the Metropolitan Division in the playoffs. While Toronto looks strong in the other division I would like CBJ in a 7 game series unless Babcock outcoaches Torts. The Jackets otherwise can skate with them and defend them. The Pens need to start winning some games if they even want to make the playoffs, but oddly enough they match-up better against the good Metro teams (Washington/CBJ/NYR/NYI/NJ) than the do the Atlantic teams (Ottawa and Tampa always play them tough, Boston has their number, etc).

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
December 28 2017, 9:42 AM 

There are indeed a lot of parallels to be made between the Pens/Jackets and Steelers/Bengals, even down to the fact that the Steelers started play about 33-34 years before the Bengals did, as did the Penguins started play about 33-34 years before the Blue Jackets did. The Steelers were an abysmal embarrassment during a very long early stretch of their existence, as were the Penguins, but both are now institutions. Sadly, the Blue Jackets are probably far away from getting to any of the near-misses that the Bengals experienced in the 80s, though.

"You're an embarrassment to the department, Bobrovsky!"

BMN

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
December 28 2017, 11:20 AM 

Good comparisons, but where we may differ on opinion:

1. I believe in the Jackets will to win more so than the Bengals' will to win. Just look at their coaching changed and moves over the years. Even the Rick Nash trade, as unpopular as it was, looks more and more like a hockey trade as time goes on.

2. While the parallel between the Steelers and Pens is accurate, I think that the Steelers have done more things right while the Pens' two rises were results of tanking and luck. Aside from that the Penguins 1967-1988 then again from 1997-2005 were about as poorly run as any in pro sports. And even their current run I would give them 2-3 more championships if they fired Dan Bylsma around 5 years earlier. Keeping in mind that the Pens have fired two coaches for not speaking English (which they somehow hired) lol. The Steelers on the other hand are the model in pro sports from 1970 on. In that regard the Penguins are the Bengals with much better luck and owners willing to spend (to the tune of 2 bankruptcys).

This message has been edited by wyche from IP address 174.232.0.192 on Dec 28, 2017 11:22 AM

ItmightbeJB
(Login ItmightbeJB)

No score for this post
December 28 2017, 4:25 PM 

Two bankruptcies? Mikey just choked on a fishbone.

I think it's a shame the Canadian teams are so poorly represented among the elites of the NHL. I remember the golden age of Edmonton Calgary and Montreal. How I loved the Oilers and hated the Islanders. I can still close my eyes and picture Gretzky, Messier and Kurri weaving down the ice at warp 12. I know I'm too old school sometimes but when Tampa Bay and Phoenix have NHL teams there's something just not right about it. It's like Fairbanks, AK. having a baseball team.

For the foreseeable future the Bengals will still be the Steelers benatches and the Jackets will be the Pens'. Thank God the Reds still have the Pirates!

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
December 29 2017, 11:16 AM 

Yes! Bankruptcys in 1975 (the IRS padlocked their arena) and 1998 (their owner from 1992-1998 made some terrible business deals, payed players with money that he did not hve, and even asked players to defer their money, including Mario Lemieux who was their largest creditor circa 1998).

And yes, I generally pull for the Canadian teams (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec if they ever get a team back) and in the right circumstances even the Maple Laughs and Senators.

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
December 29 2017, 12:27 PM 

Got to agree with your assessment re: the Penguins luck. Generally, I bristle whenever a southern team is having financial problems and someone will chime in that the NHL needs to put more teams in "markets like Pittsburgh" completely ignoring that this team got through absolute-certain moves through a) tanking for Lemieux, b) falling ***-backwards into Sidney Crosby and c) getting lucky that Jim Balsillie was SO slimy, it roused an effort to save the franchise.

Re: the Canadian teams, sadly my Habs are a *#*(# abortion of a boring non-successful team, so I have to watch the Leafs (UGH!) and Atlanta's old teams take the competitive mettle for the maple leaf for now. I really want Columbus to do well, I would love if they made the playoffs and got a favourable opponent-draw for once.

BMN

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return