<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Point it out

January 4 2018 at 1:28 PM
No score for this post

OSF  (Login oldschoolerfan)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 148.87.23.16

Soooooo...I think it's safe to say that we all would have fired Marvin Lewis this year if we were a more competent....errrrrrrr....Owner of the Cincinnati Bungles.

Here's my question: When would you have done it and why?

Or.....

....If you wouldn't fire Marvin Lewis, please explain.

I couldn't imagine any of us having to answer that 2nd question....but you never know.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Re: Point it out

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 2:56 PM 

I think this year giggles did a better job than last year with an OL that was worse than last years. He is weak in making half time adjustments although he did better in the Det game. I don't think mikey will get a coach better than him and he knows that. What coach will want to work for mikey with the kind of limited control he will get. The FO is a joke and is the smallest in the league and the scouting dept is a joke. I think the last 5 years drafting they have reverted back to the mean and their picks haven't been that good esp. the first rounders. For a team like the bungs they would have to get at least an A- every year in the dfaft. They have had difficult times getting good FA's to come here as the good FA's still regard the bungs as a joke. They will get the 2nd tier FA's and on down from there.

Drilling down further the Bengals net worth is about $1.8B which places them behind the Browns which beats only Det and Buff. I wonder what kind of cash flow mikey has to really be a contender. If the team's net worth were $1B more would that make a difference? To borrow a phrase "It's the owner stupid". Whether or not more cash flow would make a difference is open to speculation owing to mikey's personality. A psychologist said years ago circa 2002 after the Lebeau disaster that mikey lacks vision. I doubt in private industry mikey would do very well as a CEO.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 5:16 PM 

No reason Marvin should have been in position to be fired this season

He should have been fired after he bungled the 2009 season
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 5:40 PM 

If it had come at the close of the 2008 season it would have felt overdue. But as we like to say, Mike Brown deserves much of the discredit. So... at the close of 2010, at the latest, for Marvin.

The reboot could have come with another coaching staff who theoretically could have won a playoff game or two by now. In reality it wouldn't have mattered. MB sabotages everything regardless. Still, it would have been more intriguing than this tired Groundhog Day crap with Marvin.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 5:47 PM 

To sum up I think 80% of the problem is mikey. He has been shown to be part of the problem and not the solution. Mikey should be fired as a gm and not necessarily giggles as a top line coach would not come here.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 5:55 PM 

Never would have hired him in the first place.As I recall,the clown had,Marvin,Tom Coughlin,and Mike Mularkey to choose from.Needless to say,the clown was just as ignorant as his father in making management decisions.Just as Bill Walsh was Paul Browns albatross,Tom Coughlin will be forever the clowns albatross. If I remember correctly,wasn’t skeeterbites pulling for Giggles and so won the day. Typical of this inbred organization of nepotists

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 6:00 PM 

Suppose he would have gotten Tom Coughlin. How effective would he be working under mikey's thumb? I guess he might have stayed 2 years and thrown up his hands and left.

Lumina
(Login 72360)

No score for this post
January 4 2018, 7:49 PM 

Or maybe he convinces the clown to loosen up the purse strings,give Coughlin control and the GM job,and wins 3 Super Bowls.Who’s to say but given the clowns track record,Coughlin probably walks away either way

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

The Story of Two 'Burghs

No score for this post
January 5 2018, 8:42 AM 

Marvin has so many instances of him getting fired with me. It's unbelievable. I mean, if I didn't fire him as a Bungle GM in 2007, 08, or 09...and he "ridiculously" stayed around until 2017....then he would have got the axe....probably seconds after the Pittsburgh Playoff Game last year.

At home, you're up. And you predictably blow it in seconds. That last 2 minutes pretty much summed up Marvin Lewis' career in Cincinnati.

So, game ends. I don't talk to a f*cking soul. Walk straight past media (I would have many fans in the media if I were GM--and if you believe that, I have a bridge on the Ohio River I want to sell you). March into the lockerroom a la Brad Pitt-style in Moneyball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Q0kp8CMFQ

"Where in the f*ck is Coach?"

"Probably still answering questions..."

"He should be right here because he already should know what's about to happen...but since he isn't here...I need to talk to you on Monday, Pac-Man/Burfict..."

"Can I tell him what this is about?"

"You should already know, too. If you don't then that's why we are speaking on Monday."

Marvin would have definitely fired in January, 2017. The latest he would have been fired would have been that Monday after the game, 8AM EST. Although, I would want to do it earlier than that.

This is how I would have talked to Pac-Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYNxT1_Avo

Pac-Man: "Those speeches you give your other players. That's for them. Not me."

"Oh....so you think you're different? Well, Pac....the Cowboys usually put up with headcases. They got rid of you. That's what they thought of you..."

Works. But if Mike Brown would have held up Marvin's Firing....then that 17-point lead that Marvin blew against the same Steelers? I would have fired Marvin DIRECTLY after that game. 15 minutes later. Gone.

Mike Brown would not have held me up that time either or I would go directly to the press, which is something that Mike Brown hates.

There ya go. Just 2 instances of about 151,266 times I would have fired Marvin Lewis.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Committment to Mediocrity

No score for this post
January 5 2018, 9:26 AM 

I said that before but with this new agreement I don't see any change looking ahead. I saw the press conference in the paper today and I was looking for mention of the so called "demands" giggles made but I could not find a mention of any. If there were any demands met they were superficial in nature. What this means is mikey is giving up little if any control so look for continued poor results in the draft and FA for that matter. What mikey will continue to do is take chances on castoffs like pacman and hope for the best. Looks like going forward the bungs will be a middlin team and every so often make the wildcard round of the playoffs similar to Buffalo and teams like that.

As far a giggles, true the argument could be made he should have been let go a couple time in the past but who would mikey get to come here? Giggles is basically a middlin caretaker type coach but deep down mikey knows he would have a tough time getting anyone better. So here we sit with the status quo. The team would have to be sold to an owner who had more drive and vision and maybe deeper pockets.

This message has been edited by bengalbear from IP address 174.101.148.91 on Jan 5, 2018 9:33 AM

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
January 5 2018, 1:30 PM 

I've always said the end of '07 was time. By that point a) the first job (bringing the Bengals to respectability) was done, but b) it was clear Marvin wasn't the guy for the second job (making "title or bust" the standard for the org). In other words, it was the right time to fire Marvin a calendar decade ago.

I've referenced this story on the board many times in the past, but I had a non-Bengals fan friend who called this out way back in 2003: he told me point-blank "Marvin's job is to get everyone who plays for the Bengals to drop the impression that 'we're losers,' then the NEXT guy will take them to the Super Bowl."

The only thing my poor naive friend didn't understand is what it takes for Mike Brown to fire a guy...

In 100% seriousness, Marvin would be a better coach for the Browns.

BMN

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

Hard Cold Fact of Reality

No score for this post
January 5 2018, 1:59 PM 

The HC situation here is as good as it gets. Mike brown though not evil or malicious is very tight, very conservative and resistant to change and is adamant about doing things his way. Giggles is basically a mikey yes man and you could fire him but the word is out around the league and even in College circles about mikey and the bungles and how they have done business now and yesteryear. So what you see now is what you will get - you the fans have to deal with it.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
January 6 2018, 4:43 AM 

In terms of fired? Not that I would have agreed with it but I will say after 2008. I realize that Palmer was injured that season but kind of like the Colts the season that Manning was injured or the Colts this past season they were going nowhere healthy star QB or not and used the awful season as an excuse to fire their coach.

With that said Marvin should have left on his own earlier this week. Honestly he did not deserve to get fired (if anything the Bungs overachieved this season and Mikey gave Marvin nothing to work with on the line plus the awful Ross pick). Just for his own dignity and perceptions' sake. The gamble that I would have taken is that the 2018 Bengals with coach [not Marvin] is destined for 4 or 5 wins while 2018 Bengals with Coach Marvin are headed for 7 wins or better. Unfortunately for him he is in a no win now. He can Winn 11 games again but Bengals fans will still question his abilities if they falter in the playoffs. And if he does lose more and things are going south then he and Mikey both just look foolish.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Posting for FMB (FawckinMB)

No score for this post
January 6 2018, 12:18 PM 

Welcome new poster FMB. We still can't approve posts, and the only workaround is to quote them like I'm doing below.

If I were an incompetent owner that felt supremely competent....

by FMB on January 6 2018, 8:05 AM

Let's see. In order to answer the two question, I will give background of how I would manage the big picture of the team.
I think we are all in agreement that are certain amount wins and more playoff pushes and SB wins each decade keeps a fan base coming back in droves and expands market to other markets (see Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots fans). I think that being one of the teams who has to share profits with the rest of the teams is a good problem to have. Mike is just too cheap to get over that concept.
So as owner, I would not be a GM, I would hire a GM to put my vision into reality. I would sign 5 year deals with said GM to do whatever he wanted with staff/players etc, with no interference or approvals needed from me. Extensions would be merit based.
Things that will earn extension:
Playoff berth will earn a one time one year extension.
Wild card win will earn a one time one year extension.
Sweeping division will earn a one time one year extension.
Super Bowl appearance will earn a two year extension, every time.
Super Bowl win will earn a three year extension, every time.

Things will cause me to fire you before your contract expires:
Back to back non-winning seasons, at my discretion.
No playoff wins in the last 5 years, period!
Any first round draft miss in the last 5 years. (Seriously, you can't figure out who is in the best 32 players?)
No SB appearance in the last 10 years. ( Assuming you lasted that long)

So, there is no way to know whether GM would have fired Marv directly, however GM would've probably fired Marv to save his job at some point.
Assuming GM was hired the same year as Marv, he would have a contract from 2003-2008 pending performance.
I probably would have looked past the back to back 8-8 to starts in 2003 & 4 as the direction was better than previous coach/GM.
GM would have been extended one year through 2009 because of the 2005 season.
GM would have been fired probably 2007 for back to back losing seasons at my discretion or 2008 for no playoff wins.
So I imagine new GM would have cleaned house after watching last GM lose job for accepting mediocrity.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return