<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

A Continual Continuation of Continuity: 2018 Offseason

January 10 2018 at 7:32 PM
No score for this post

psychostats  (Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 70.92.18.131

This gem of a quote is just too good to leave buried in the hot seat thread. From the Bengals Beat Podcast on January 2nd:

[32:24] This is who this who this organization is. They value continuity. They value loyalty. They believe in just doing the job better if they feel like they have the right people. And that's what won out here.

What won out was comfort and continuity. I think Mike Brown would be fine if Marvin Lewis is the last coach he ever sees, and he never has to fire another coach. I think we might have learned that today.

You just can't have more obvious chances to just move on than you had in '11 and you had today. It can't be more obvious. You can't have a bigger hit over the head.
[33:20].

https://audioboom.com/posts/6576635-bengals-beat-podcast-marvin-lewis-is-back

I'm sure you recall our protracted 2016 offseason continuity thread where the scribes, local and national, continually reminded us of Mike Brown's beloved feeling for... well, continuity. And then there was our 2017 offseason continuity thread which tracked the continuation of the message.

Then came the end of the 2017 season and a brand new contract for Marvin Lewis. This led to the reaction quoted in part above. The scribes were admittedly "shocked" to discover that maybe, just maybe, Mike Brown really and truly does value continuity after all. Who could have imagined?

And now it is time to continue our own tradition and add to this, our 2018 thread.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: A Continual Continuation of Continuity: 2018 Offseason

No score for this post
January 10 2018, 7:41 PM 

Mike Brown himself speaks. If he said it back in 2016 you know he believes it now, given his constancy of conviction.

Coaching Conversations With Mike Brown
Dan Hoard - Bengals.com - Jan 8, 2018

Shortly before the 2016 season, I did a lengthy interview with Bengals president Mike Brown where we discussed the greatest coaches in Bengals history. I ended that interview with the following question:

Why is coaching continuity so important to you?

“The obvious thing is that when we are all singing from the same hymnbook and know the words it helps,” Mike told me. “You do things without having to ponder why. It’s incorporated in you and I think that’s a good thing not a bad thing. Yes, there’s the argument that change helps and I think periodically the people that argue that are correct, but I think when you look at the National Football League there’s way too much turnover. The owners turn over the coaches at the end of the year – about seven go every year, about a quarter of the coaches. It takes the heat off the owner, but I don’t think it’s justified in that many cases.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Coaching-Conversations-With-Mike-Brown/7e800047-d7ea-4893-8e83-f152921094be

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

No coach/QB pair has ever won their first Super Bowl after year five

No score for this post
January 10 2018, 9:14 PM 

Data couldn't be tryna bitchslap Mike Brown harder.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 12:06 PM 

Right from the horse's mouth.

Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown explains why Marvin Lewis is back as head coach
Jim Owczarski - Cincinnati Enquirer - 1:59 p.m. ET Jan. 19, 2018 | Updated 2:50 p.m. ET Jan. 19, 2018

Enquirer: Why then did you feel he was still the guy to get that job done?

Brown: “I think he knows our situation well. He brings continuity. I don’t think he lost the football team. I think that was evidenced by the last couple games. The players like Marvin. They support him. I think that’s a good thing. The area where we have some making up to do is with our public. They are unsettled because they wanted to see more. And then it didn’t come through for them in the fashion they had expected or hoped; they began to make commentary and some of that was well, it’s Marvin, some of that was well, it’s Mike, some of that was whatever it was. I have to look beyond that. I have to just do what I think puts our team in the best position to win. Even if it is a short-term issue with our fans. I will tell you that it's all going to play out on the field here. And if we win, it will be great. If we don’t, you’ll be right back here asking why.”

Enquirer: Marvin said one of the complications to a return was the coaching staff. Did you have to take stock of the entire staff – it’s not just a head coach issues, it’s everybody that needs to be re-evaluated?

Brown: “That’s how it presented itself. We had a clean slate. The order of work was head coach first. And then the process of settling on that, the assistant coaches were fending for themselves. Once Marvin was taken care of, we turned to the assistant coaching area. Some of our guys chose to leave. Some of them we chose to ask to leave. It was a big changeover. I think it’s around seven guys were moved in some fashion, maybe more. That’s unprecedented. We’ve had more changeover in the assistant coaching level than I can remember short of changing the head coach. That would bring a lot of fresh ideas in here. We’re in need of some fresh ideas. I look forward to how it will be put together a little differently than before. But we also retain a lot of continuity, and I think that’s important too. It’ll be a mix. It will be interesting to see if it plays out right. I think it will.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

That's a towfer from Mike Brown himself, compliments or Owczarski.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 12:12 PM 

I've avoided making updates to these various ongoing threads because the forum system is all mucked up. My restraint has its limits, though.

Hopefully all the scribes who doubted their own reporting will finally believe, way deep down in their souls, that Mike Brown does indeed cherish continuity. They surely will be reminding themselves all offseason. Will it sink in this time?

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 12:24 PM 

The quality of this year's entries is quite impressive.

Bengals owner Mike Brown retained Marvin Lewis to provide 'continuity'
Katherine Terrell - ESPN - Jan 20, 2018 1:03 PM CT

CINCINNATI -- Bengals owner Mike Brown says the decision to bring Marvin Lewis back for a 16th season provides "continuity" despite a staff shakeup that saw defensive coordinator Paul Guenther leave, along with several other assistants.

In separate interviews with Bengals.com and the Cincinnati Enquirer, Brown said he did not want to make a decision about Lewis' future until the end of the season and that the Bengals' back-to-back wins against the Detroit Lions and Baltimore Ravens to end the season factored into the decision.

"I don't think he lost the football team. I think that was evidenced by the last couple games," Brown told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "The players like Marvin. They support him. I think that's a good thing.

"The area where we have some making up to do is with our public. They are unsettled because they wanted to see more. And then it didn't come through for them in the fashion they had expected or hoped; they began to make commentary and some of that was, well, it's Marvin. Some of that was, well, it's Mike. Some of that was whatever it was. I have to look beyond that. I have to just do what I think puts our team in the best position to win. Even if it is a short-term issue with our fans, I will tell you that it's all going to play out on the field here. And if we win, it will be great. If we don't, you'll be right back here asking why."

Brown discussed the future of both Lewis and the Bengals and said he had no plans to move the team from Cincinnati.

"I played a role in bringing it here. I played a role in keeping it here. I don't know if there's much more I can do," Brown told Bengals.com. "I would hazard to guess the Bengals will be here when I'm not."

Brown said he considers this season an "aberration" and thought Lewis was the best man to get the team back on track.

"I think it's correctable. I think we can rebound quicker with Marvin than with anybody else," he told Bengals.com "I think he deserved to be back because he's put a lot of his life here, and that matters to me."

Brown said he has identified several of the problems that hurt the team and most notably pinpointed the offensive line, saying they need a change up front. The Bengals parted ways with longtime offensive line coach Paul Alexander after the season, and he accepted the same job with the Dallas Cowboys shortly afterward.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22160591/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-brought-marvin-lewis-back-provide-continuity

Another twofer double-quote from Mike Brown, counting the title.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Jan 20, 2018 12:28 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 12:38 PM 

It would be a crying shame if a good Mike Brown quotation didn't wind up on Bengals.com.

Brown wants Bengals only to move in standings while seeking fresh coaching ideas
Geoff Hobson - Bengals.com - Jan 19, 2018

And Brown thinks the staff Lewis has assembled is the first step in the climb back.

“We have people in here who will offer up some fresh ideas and I think we need some fresh ideas,” Brown said. “That will still allow us to have continuity. It will give us a boost. I think it’s a good thing. ...

[linked image]

Brown says the decision to bring back Lewis isn’t as unpopular as perceived with his mail running half and half. But doesn’t need the postal service to know the Bengals have to win to get back in the fans’ good graces. He didn’t make a business call to bring back Lewis. It was a football call based on Brown’s central philosophy of continuity. If there is change to be needed, he wants Lewis to direct it.

“I made the call for more than one reason,” Brown said. “It gives us our best chance to be successful this coming season. Marvin gives us continuity. That’s important in this league. I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He’s been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit. ...

A big reason Brown wants continuity is because he feels they’ve got a talented roster equivalent to elite teams like Pittsburgh. He looks at the 24-20 loss back on Dec. 4 in which the Bengals blew a 17-0 lead to the Steelers.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Brown-wants-Bengals-only-to-move-in-standings--while-seeking-fresh-coaching-ideas/dffe334e-61b7-4c9e-a4e6-01600368b402

That's a fourfer.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Jan 24, 2018 6:06 PM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 12:53 PM 

"Below the belt" is a good way to put it.

Continuity is a Good Thing
Michael Brianwalker - Below The Belt Sports - January 8, 2018

When I heard the other day that Marvin Lewis would be coming back for a 16th season as coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, I was surprised. The guy has no playoff wins, and the Bengals have disappointed for the past two seasons. However, I cannot argue with the Bengals’ decision. Continuity is a very important thing for a team to have – most specifically continuity at quarterback, head coach, and general manager. We have heard stories of quarterbacks like Alex Smith cycling through coach after coach and offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator. Usually, this cycling does not result in great success on the field.

https://belowthebeltsports.com/2018/01/08/continuity-is-a-good-thing/

It sure is important to the Bungs. That's a threefer counting the title.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 20 2018, 4:43 PM 

Mike Brown's interview will reverberate around the media for the offseason, I predict. And that prediction is as easy to make as the one about Marvin Lewis staying on in Cincinnati.

Bengals owner finally explains why he decided to bring Marvin Lewis back
Bengals owner Mike Brown seems to be a huge fan of continuity

John Breech - CBS Sports -an 20, 2018

One of the most surprising coaching moves of the NFL offseason involved a move that didn't actually happen. ...

"I made the call for more than one reason," Brown said, via Bengals.com. "It gives us our best chance to be successful this coming season. Marvin gives us continuity. That's important in this league. I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He's been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit." ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-owner-finally-explains-why-he-decided-to-bring-marvin-lewis-back/

A twofer counting the subtitle.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 21 2018, 5:51 PM 

Cincy Jungle is always a faithful participant in this endeavor.

Most questionable decisions from the Bengals’ assistant coach search
Anthony Cosenza - Cincy Jungle - Jan 10, 2018, 10:30am EST

And, if there’s anything Lewis and Mike Brown love, it’s continuity. So, while there’s a change at receivers coach, Bicknell and Lazor are pretty familiar with each other and it should pay off among the receivers.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/analysis/2018/1/10/16866884/most-questionable-decisions-bengals-2018-assistant-coaching-search

Oh, how they love themselves some continuity.

Mike Brown confirms the Bengals’ last 2 wins helped save Marvin Lewis’ job
Patrick Judis - Cincy Jungle - Jan 19, 2018, 3:50pm EST

“I made the call for more than one reason,” Brown told the Bengals official site. “It gives us our best chance to be successful this coming season. Marvin gives us continuity. That’s important in this league. I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He’s been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit.”

“In my book (this season) was an aberration. I think it’s correctable. I think we can rebound quicker with Marvin than with anybody else … I think he deserved to be back because he’s put a lot of his life here, and that matters to me.”

There is so much wrong with all of this, especially the notion of continuity. The reason Lewis is the best man for the job is because he can keep this ship on the same course it has been on for the past 15 years.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/19/16911020/mike-brown-confirms-bengals-last-2-wins-helped-save-marvin-lewis-job

Yes, yes, a million times, yes. There is indeed something wrong with this notion of continuity. Most certainly there is. Without a doubt. Indubitably. Because at certain times and in certain ways, it's the last thing you want. There's also a certain tedium to its repetition.

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

I like it.

No score for this post
January 24 2018, 2:20 AM 

Love the thread's name. LOL

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 7:26 PM 

From earlier in the month, right after the re-signing.

Bengals didn't part ways with Marvin Lewis. They gave him a 2-year extension
Jeanna Thomas - SBNation - Updated Jan 2, 2018, 5:45pm EST

Why is Lewis sticking around? The Bengals value continuity above all else. Lewis has been a stabilizing presence since being hired in 2003, giving the organization some much-needed respect and dignity after an embarrassing run of ineptitude in the 90s. While he’s most known for never winning a playoff game, Lewis owns a 125-112-3 record in Cincy, reaching the postseason seven times with four division titles.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/2/16798390/bengals-marvin-lewis-contract-extension-2018

Yes they do!

Synonymous Bengal
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 8:04 PM 

And another from about the same time.

Bengals sign interim OC Bill Lazor to two-year contract
Kevin Patra - NFL.com - Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:31 a.m. Updated: Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.

The Cincinnati Bengals are opting for continuity in 2018.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902321/article/bengals-sign-interim-oc-bill-lazor-to-twoyear-contract

Indeed they are!

Synonymous Bengal
(Login KaBTK)

No score for this post
January 27 2018, 1:29 AM 

Everybody is getting 2 year contracts which means that we have at least 2 more years of Marvin...maybe more. As we know, this is Marvin 3.0.

Marvin 1.0 - 2003-2010
Marvin 2.0 - 2011-2017
Marvin 3.0 - 2018-....

Now the end of Marvin 3.0 doesn't necessarily mean the end of Marvin as head coach. It will just mean the end of this version of Marvin with the new coaches. I imagine Marvin 4.0 having a new group of players and possibly new coaches in various positions as well - it depends what year Marvin 4.0 begins. If history is any indication, Marvin 4.0 begins in 2024 or 2025.
--------------------------------------------
Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in Cincinnati. - Homer

The Bengals managed to squander that bit of good fortune, though. The Bengals could leave the winning Powerball ticket in a pair of pants they donate to Goodwill. ~ Doc

Maybe Next Year - The Battlecry of the Bengals

This message has been edited by KaBTK from IP address 45.59.45.148 on Jan 27, 2018 1:32 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 4:40 PM 

Does Emile Pierce ever visit our forum? He's almost cynical enough to be one of us. Almost.

Will continuity bring the Bengals a playoff win in 2018?

The Cincinnati Bengals have a long offseason agenda. But, the main focus should be getting that first playoff win checked off.

Emile Pierce - Fansided, Stripe Hype- January 27, 2018

Football is such an addictive game. Watching the chess match played out the offense and defense can be a thrilling experience. And when the experience is taken to the next level, it can be like a dream come true. Making the playoffs is no easy feat, in the NFL. So, when that achievement comes on a yearly basis, it can truly spoil fans. The Bengals’ run of five straight years gave fans something to look for. With two years of failing to break the .500 mark, the postseason feels like it was decades ago.

Cincinnati has already been on edge. Since the January 2016 mass of chaos at PBS, fans are walking around like powderkegs. Any little thing will light the fuse and cause spontaneous combustion. To make matters seemingly worse, Mike Brown gives a thumbs-up to bringing Marvin Lewis back for two more years.

Here’s the deal. The damage is done. Now, it’s all about getting focused on the 2018 campaign. How do the Bengals achieve that? Simple, faithful Bengals fan. Simple. Zero in on what needs to happen before the opener and don’t deviate. To be real, winning cures a ton of ills.

I see better than I hear

Don’t talk about winning a Super Bowl. Even Mikey Boy knows that’s part of coach-speak etiquette. There are levels to this thing. The first step is the one that has avoided Lewis and the Bengals for 15 years. Just win a playoff game. Is that so hard? Well, evidently, it is. Bengals fans have been waiting, crying, pouting and ranting for a postseason victory since January 6, 1991.

Let me phrase that another way. The Bengals haven’t won a (expletive) playoff game in an entire generation. Bryan Adams was atop the Billboard Top Hot 100 song list. Cartoon Network ruled and The Ren & Stimpy Show was pushing the envelope. Big hair was the fashion... let’s not go there. Point made.

Lewis has made it back for another couple of years. Now, it’s time to make good on all the promises that have been floating in the Cincinnati atmosphere for decades.

Brown brought Marvin back to keep the Bengals on track for the next phase. Marvelous Marv brought on the coaches he felt would get the results the fans want. What seems like a two-year plan... just may work. But, it has to be more than a smoke and mirrors type situation.

Make the change

Bengals Nation is rightfully frustrated and deserves better. Mikey Boy is all about the cash. There’s no way around it. But, there are a few sad souls who will keep insisting he cares. Yeah. He cares... about that black line going upwards.

The only way Bengals fans will believe the hype that has been spewed forth this offseason is through the postseason. The Bengals have to blow teams away and then annihilate them in the playoffs. Well, it may not be that serious. But, it’s way past time for things to gel. There have been far too many playoff caliber teams doing a one-and-done under Lewis.

Again, either this franchise gets a clue or fans will start to find their football fix elsewhere.

How did Sam Wyche say it?

“There’s golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done besides worrying about a football game.”

Maybe Sam has a point. But, until then, continuity will be the Bengals’ playoff motivation.

https://stripehype.com/2018/01/22/will-continuity-bring-cincinnati-bengals-playoff-win-2018/

And he provided us with a twofer, counting the title.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 7:24 PM 

Catching up...

Marvin Lewis: Bengals Will 'Start from Scratch' After Contract Extension

Scott Polacek - Bleacher Report - January 3, 2018

"I tell people when you go to a car lot, you know what you're looking for and they're not going to sway you one way or another, that's what you're going to do," Lewis said when explaining the continuity on Wednesday. "I believe that about [NFL owners]."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752313-marvin-lewis-bengals-will-start-from-scratch-after-contract-extension

Not only do we get a yearly belly-full of continuity during the offseason, we get it explained to us.

bengalbear
(Login bengalbear)

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 9:49 PM 

After all this the only "continuity" I see is a continuation of what we've had the past 15 years. Even winning a playoff game is a longshot at this point let alone going deep in the playoffs.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
February 6 2018, 8:29 PM 

From early February.

Bill Lazor rooting for Eagles’ Nick Foles in Super Bowl 52
Anthony Cosenza - Cincy Jungle - Feb 1, 2018, 7:00am EST

The Bengals don’t employ the same fast-paced offense that Kelly and Lazor helped to run in Philadelphia, but they are hoping that Lazor’s return as the Bengals’ offensive coordinator will breed continuity and will bring about similar results from Dalton this year. Foles reminded everyone of Lazor’s coaching prowess and how he got the most out of him and the Eagles’ offense in 2013.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/1/16957238/bill-lazor-rooting-for-eagles-nick-foles-in-super-bowl-52

Uh oh. Continuity is now breeding. How should we refer to the little continuities? Contites? Contittens? Continoobs?

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
February 17 2018, 5:49 PM 

It's about time we had another entry.

NFL Team Needs: Cincinnati Bengals Team Needs
Jon Dove - Fansided, With The First Pick - February 15, 2018

The loss of Kevin Zeitler really hurt the continuity of the Bengals offensive line. His replacements just were able to hold their own. It’s possible that the Bengals dip into the free agent pool to get the interior of the offensive line settled.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/02/15/nfl-team-needs-cincinnati-bengals-team-needs/

For that's good and right in the world, let's please have some discontinuity on the offensive line this upcoming season.

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
February 20 2018, 5:08 PM 

Alright, alright. I will subscribe to Emile Pierce's RSS feed to make sure I don't miss another one of his continuity entries.

Are Bengals fans getting leftovers on a different plate?
Emile Pierce - Fanside, Stripe Hype - January 21, 2018

In a rare interview with Cincinnati.com, Brown acknowledged that Lewis was the best choice for the Bengals. Supposedly, he looked at all the intangibles and decided it was best to give him another shot.

“I think he can manage. I think he has managed it in the past and I think we’ve been very close. We haven’t quite gotten where we needed to get. He knows that. I know that. I do think, repeating again, that our best chance to get there is with him having another run at it. He brings a lot to the table.”

Here’s the good and bad of that statement. First, there’s the familiarity of the coach. Bengals players wanted to see Marvin at the helm again. They’ve gotten used to his player’s coach mentality. To a certain degree, that offers some stability and continuity. That’s important.

https://stripehype.com/2018/01/21/bengals-fans-getting-leftovers-different-plate/

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return