<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Is Mike Brown Still Cheap?

January 10 2018 at 7:55 PM
No score for this post

psychostats  (Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 70.92.18.131

Just like Mo Egger, Paul Dehner Jr. believes that Mike Brown has ceased to be a cheapskate. He looks at the salary cap and the facilities.

Criticize the decisions – and rightfully so in some cases -- but the numbers show clearly this isn’t a matter of refusal to spend or being “cheap.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/08/mike-brown-marvin-lewis-fact-fiction-cincinnati-bengals-cheap-players/1008947001/

As indicated above, the failure to re-sign certain players is counted as something else besides cheapie-ness.

Open question to all MBS members: How would you support our long-held contention that Mike Brown remains "excessively frugal" like his pops?

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 161.69.123.12 on Jan 11, 2018 11:57 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Synonymous Bengal
(Login stormincincy)

Re: Is Mike Brown Still Cheap?

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 5:05 AM 

What about being the only team in the north without a practice bubble?
------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 7:57 AM 

So, first of all, the quick answer after the one above about no indoor practice facility is staff size. Below is a link to Wikipedia for every team in the NFL's staff. Just a quick scroll through will give you an idea of just how skimpy their front office staff is. And even more laughable only one name that is not Brown or Blackburn in that group. And keep in mind this staff list does not include scouting departments for instance, so this just gives one an idea, not the full picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_staffs

Now second, thanks for the link, psycho. If one goes to the link within the link there is the link about "total $$$$ spent on players" during the past four seasons where the Bengals are actually top 10! That sounds great!

However, this is a very flawed fact or metric to go off of. First of all, just look at some of the team BEHIND the Bengals in spending on this list (the rest of the AFC North including the Steelers and Ravens, the Patriots, the Cowboys, Redskins, Falcons, and recent powers including the Panthers, Raiders, and Texans. And those are just the good or high spending teams. The rest of this list includes Jets, Colts, Jags, both LA teams, Giants, Saints, Bucs, Lions, Vikings, Cardinals, 49ers. So, literally, the only higher spending teams are Bills, Dolphins, Broncos, Chiefs, Eagles, Packers, Seahawks. So I see very little correlation even if we're just accepting this fact as a fact between money on players and wins/losses, as it is absolutely a mixed bag.

Now, do you think for a minute that Mike Brown would honestly be outspending Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank on PLAYERS???!!!???!!! Not intentionally, anyways. Teams like the Cowboys and Steelers tend to keep renegotiating contracts and in some regards keep kicking the can down the road. While this isn't a perfect strategy (Dallas has not won a Superbowl since 1995, Pittsburgh has not won one since 2008), these teams whether wise or not kind of overpay to keep their players and end up sacrificing cap space to do so. So just a quick google search of Ben Roethlisberger's contract indicates just that...they paid him a $33 million bonus in 2015 when they could afford it and another $20 million in 2016 and he "only" makes around $17 million/year the rest of the deal. If that $17 million is too high to field a team in 2018 for instance (say, they want to work our a long term deal for Bell, or even franchising him is expensive for one year) they could always renegotiate again and give him a huge bonus in 2019 guraranteed in exchange for taking less money in 2018. They did the same thing I believe with Lawrence Timmons and finally in 2015 bit the bullet and he was the highest paid linebacker in football simply because the Steelers were not going to renegotiate again with someone of his age (he clearly is or was not the best linebacker in football in 2015). So, the 2015 Steelers for instance had money tied up in bonuses (Ben) or overpaying to get rid of a player (Timmons) and thus had less money to pay out to fill out their roster, which still included Brown, Bell, Shazier, Heyward, Pouncey, Decastro, etc. Not to mention that is the season I think that they signed/released 3 different kickers until they got it right (the current one who beat the Bengals in the playoff game). No one will say with a straight face that the 2015 Steelers were "cheaper than the Bengals."

Where I will kind of give the Bengals their due is that they are shrewd. They don't waste money (which the Raiders and Jets both recently kind of followed that template, in that they both decided to bite the bullet and let all of the bad contracts expire to give themselves a clean slate much like the Bengals' one that they operate off of every year). And, also true, the Bengals have had more success since 2009 than the Dallas Cowboys for example doing business their way. But the Dehner article misses on the takes recently of Whitworth/Zeitler/Sanu/Jones Jr. Not in a million years coming off of 5 straight playoff births would the Steelers or Cowboys or Patriots let ALL FOUR players go!!!!! I could justify one of the receivers and one of the linemen. They clearly had a plan for succession of Whitworth based on recent drating, for instance, so that did not shock me. But to let ALL FOUR go, especially with players like Green being in their prime, is insane and proves cheapness and a lack of will to go for it all.

Simply put, no one who knows football is asking Mike Brown to give LeVeon Bell a 10 year contract with $100 million guaranteed. That is the foolishness that the Redskins or Browns will do (RBs have a shelf life and the Steelers know that). However, renegotiating a deal to get Bell on a 3 year contract? Now that is something that a winning franchise would do! Mike Brown will never do that!

BMN
(Login bmncaper)

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 12:01 PM 

It's not even so much that Mike is cheap, but that he is unintelligently cheap. The lack of a practice bubble is a classic example: despite ample evidence that it makes the franchise look bad to not have one and is an active disincentive for coaches and players to want to be a part of the Bengals, he insists on not fixing the situation.

And honestly, Mikey can be unintelligently generous also. His continually re-signing Marvin is one e.g. The most obvious example was when he rewarded Willie Anderson's loyalty (honestly not a bad instinct) with an extension that was far too ambitious for what the Bengals were going to get in return.

It's not so much whether he's cheap or not, I guess, but how he won't open up his purse strings for many things but then when he does, you find yourself going: "Really? THAT? You're not going to build a practice bubble or upgrade the line but you'll spend money on this player three years past his prime?" or "you won't eat up the costs of firing Marvin but you'll give him a new contract when his current one expires that exceeds what the market would bear for him?" Etc.

BMN

Synonymous Bengal
(Login LoyaltyClause)

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 11:44 PM 

The Brown stink holeness has gone on for so long (27 years) even the media are dumb sheep. Paul, you're an idiot.

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

No the Bengals are not always shrewd they waste money on their own players

No score for this post
January 12 2018, 8:51 AM 

It's true that the Bengals don't make big splashy FA signings from other teams so they don't end up with Brock Osweiler type situations.

But it is absolutely not true that they don't waste money. Where they tend to waste money is in smallish deals that cost more than replacement value, and larger deals to retain some of their own players who are not good.

Examples of smallish deals that are spending more than replacement cost: Huber, Vinny Rey, Hewitt.

At some point these deals become large enough that they're more serious. Dre Kirkpatrick is the latest example and earlier examples were extending Maualuga and re-signing Michael Johnson.

Players on the roster who are wastes of money also include Brandon LaFell and Shawn Williams.

In all these cases the Bengals are spending more than the value provided.
Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

FMB
(Login FawckinMB)

Cheap!?

No score for this post
January 13 2018, 5:43 AM 

I used to always think that he and the Bengals FO staff was cheap, then I read what Dehner had to say and heard what Eggar and Rapine had to say. Now I am convinced the man buys golden toilet paper for his players and staff and only has spring water imported from Fiji in the pipes at PBS for his patrons to drink on the house. Man, what a turn around!

After seeing the Bengals FO only has 4 living members with any title at all, I wonder if Katie's kids are going to fill Pete's spot. They might just give it to Troy Blackburn. Those are the leading candidates for Senior Vice President of Player Personnel. So will they look for an outside candidate or simply eliminate the position?

History suggests he'll have to save money somewhere. After all, I am sure the Cowboys OL coach and Aaron Roger's QB coach didn't come cheap, as well rumors have the Bengals winning Teryl Austin (Raiders wanted him). Those pedigree's would command more than the Mike is usually comfortable paying.

I think the conversation would have went like this.

Marv: We need to get some quality coaches to raise my super effective clapping and smiling to a whole new level.

Mike: We need to get some experienced veteran coaches, (chuckles and rubs pennies together) sometimes they have more value than the up and coming whipper snappers.

Katie: Gentlemen, I don't want to see you two decrease the value of my inheritance. We need to throw the sheep some signs of us trying to actually win a football game!

Mike: Alright! Find one or two assistant coaches that may be just good enough for the Hobson to talk up to a Super Bowl Run! But only offer them a quarter an hour more than they were making.

Marv: So it looks like we got a few new coaches that sound like they know more than me. Thanks Mike. That's why I signed on again, I want to help you win a Super Bowl for your legacy. Now if we can get an indoor practice facility of our own, or another scout.

Mike: (Chuckles and rubs pennies together). I am thirsty, go get me a scotch!

Katie and Marv: Yes, sir!

Mike: (sips) We just might go 8-8 this year! It's going to be great! A Season of Sellouts and Carl Pickens jersey sales, excellent. Katie! Why do all of these Pickens jerseys have the 8 and 1 backwards? And who is Green?

Katie: (Reaches for pillow). Dad, it's past your nap time, let me walk you to bed.

Marv: (Whispers to Katie) What are you doing? That's my meal ticket!

As you can see there is an underlying joke in every line of how I imagine it went down. Murf, if you need me to explain them to you let me know!

This message has been edited by FawckinMB from IP address 98.29.18.18 on Jan 13, 2018 6:04 AM

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

No score for this post
January 15 2018, 5:44 PM 

Good answers all around. Mike Brown's cheapness is part of a cluster of traits that tend to blend together:

- cheap, excessively frugal

- Stodgy, uber-careful, mega-methodical, supremely risk-adverse

- modest, low key, shuns extravagance

- fastidious, pedantic, school marmy, stuck in his ways, puts process over results

With MB, it's often hard to know when one of these ends and the other begins. He was like that back in the 90's, and he's certainly like that now. Hey, nobody ever accused the guy of lacking continuity!

In recent years he's made more of a point to stay in a reasonable salary cap range. Like Sam wrote, he doesn't play any games with that or try to finagle anything to achieve another winning season. (Or to beat the Steelers.) It's the old balloon animal analogy. Squeeze one area to eliminate a bulge and a bulge immediately shows up in another. The bulges being "unintelligent" actions incompatible with winning, following from BMN.

Yeah, he's been better overall since his family gained full control of the team. That only took forever. He's still that cluster noted above.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return