<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

25 and dwindling

January 11 2018 at 12:26 PM
No score for this post
BMN  (Login bmncaper)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 131.96.87.91

By happenstance, I came across the Wikipedia page for NFL coaches throughout history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches

I realized something when I sorted the list by years as a HC. I made a Google Doc to track the stats:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oji0wqmaBvd73LIUz5-3z7lcXPZmhaODnR6lGKltQbQ/edit#gid=0

There are only 25 coaches in the entire history of the league that have more years as a HC in the NFL/AAFC.

That's not in the past 20 years, etc. In the entire history of the NFL, Marvin will become only the 26th coach to accumulate at least 16 years as an HC in the history of the NFL when he finishes the 2018 season (and we all know he will).

So what of the 25 coaches that accumulated 16+ years of coaching?:

-- 23 of 25 of them had either a NFL/AAFC, NFC or AFC title on their resume. Only Marty Schottenheimer and Chuck Knox didn't.
-- And neither Chuck nor Marty did more than ten years as HC with any one team. Marvin has done this with ONE TEAM.
-- Every single one of them had at least one playoff win.
-- And of course, it's already been publicized, but only Jim Mora matches this length of coaching without a playoff win. But a) he didn't get year 16 and b) never held that job with ONE TEAM for those whole 15 years.

Truly historic ineptitude here, folks. Who says Mikey doesn't like to achieve special things?

BMN

(I edited this to include the Google Doc).
(Edited a second time to make a note about Marty/Chuck).

This message has been edited by bmncaper from IP address 131.96.87.91 on Jan 11, 2018 2:38 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

OSF
(Login oldschoolerfan)

Man

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 1:34 PM 

Joe Gibbs was f*cking good. From Neckcar to the 'Skins....this guy is just a winner. Only 16 years to do all that?

Damage.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
BMN
(Login bmncaper)

Re: 25 and dwindling

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 1:39 PM 

I agree re: Gibbs. I didn't even think he was all that bad during his second Washington tenure when he was getting flak for being outmoded and I remember thinking "well, let's see who comes after him, then?" Sure enough, they still don't have a playoff win since he retired.

BMN

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: 25 and dwindling

No score for this post
January 11 2018, 4:35 PM 

Not that I doubt you, BMN, but my first thought was, there has to be more than 25. But no, you're absolutely right. Great stat. Pro-Football-Reference lists 489 head coaches total which currently puts Marvin in the Top 7% for longevity. (That's counting the other 15-year guys.) In two years he'll crack the Top 5%.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return